The British Royal Family

4 Likes
3 Likes

The age of social media. Where everyone tries to outdo each other with their twitter posts of condolence. A ‘likes’ competition. Bet she’s glad to see the back of it

2 Likes

If you have nothing nice to say, please don’t.

1 Like

Was a comment on the social media age, not the Queen who I admired and respected

The BBC are doing a pretty shit job at covering the Queen’s passing. You’d think they’d be slightly better prepared.

I was quite surprised at how much slow, rambling nonsense Huw Edwards and Nicholas Witchell were forced to generate to fill time. As you say, it’s not like this hasn’t been coming.

1 Like

Was expecting a huge well prepared program. Nope.

This whole week + next is going to be dedicated to her, BBC ITV + all the national broadcasters will be on it.

It’s been a few hours…not much they can do right now other than getting live reaction and showing live pictures of the castles where they reside.

It was turgid. Whitchell was ancient when he retired from the news. Rolling him out again now shows they had no plan.

Can we please keep this thread for those people who want to grieve and remember The Queen. There is a whole forum to be irreverent and sarcastic about the coming fortnight.

If people want to grieve let’s respect that this thread is a place to do that, and as far as I’m concerned if you can’t do that, it’s not about disrespecting the Queen, it’s just being a bit of a bellend to you fellow forum users.

11 Likes

This is such a sad day for us who grew up seeing the Queen all our lives. This thread also helps us reflect what The Queen meant us throughout every stage of our lives.
As nation, we have to try and come together and put aside our differences, so we can pay our respects in the next few days.

I still can’t believe she has passed suddenly.

6 Likes

The King has paid his respects to the late Queen.

13 Likes
1 Like

Tomorrow will be the first time in quite a few years that I’ll be getting a newspaper.

The back page of The Times carries a quote from her Christmas broadcast in 1957,

“I cannot lead you into battle. I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else. I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands, and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations.”

And she did just that, to the end. We’ll never see another like her.

14 Likes

Damn, just found out speaking to a relative that the village my family hails from in West Quebec got their first school in 1953, Queen Elizabeth II Elementary, along with being added to the paved road system. Electricity and the telephone system had been added just a few years earlier, after the war. Staggering to think of the scope of change that happened during her reign.

addition: I was surprised at the affection he had for her, given his politics. He sent me this with the explanation “it is hard to dislike someone who fixes their own bike”

11 Likes

Yes, I’m quite surprised. I think most of us sensed the end wasn’t far away when HM didn’t attend the final bit of the celebrations during the Jubilee because she’d be there if she possibly could.

2 Likes

It is so sad, but thank you for bringing a smile to my face, discombobulated is a fantastic word not heard it in a long long time

1 Like

I am of course not as emotional as some of you all at Queen Elizabeth’s passing but she has always been a big part of Singapore’s history and in her 3 times visiting Singapore during her reign, she was always well received and very popular by everyday Singaporeans, where in her reign she saw us being a former colony to a fledgling independent nation and trying to stand on our own feet, there was just this indescribable link whether historically or emotionally alot of Singaporeans will have to the Queen. May the people of UK be comforted and may the Queen RIP. YNWA.

9 Likes

Been out of the country for 13 years and this has hit me harder than expected. Watching the coverage on tv here in the States is giving me mixed emotions… memories, homesickness, and gratitude for a life well lived in service to the country. Classy lady, the likes of which we will not see again. Many of her best qualities are in short supply in the world today. RIP.

9 Likes