The Central Midfield Thread

I’d think Gini would make the cut ahead of Henderson.

1 Like

Also 35m then accounting for inflation and the post Neymar to PSG price hike is a lot different from 35m now.

35m on a flop then is akin to spending 120m now.

https://twitter.com/BenBocsak/status/1667854433856946176?t=mxfgCO6OKytISHOAJ210DQ&s=19

1 Like

Think that’s a poor take. Prime Hendo miles better than prime Gini. I actually can’t comprehend how shit people think Henderson is.

4 Likes

Even though they’re both midfielders their strengths are quite different. Hendo can’t touch Gini in terms of ball retention skills and ability to come out of tight spots with possession intact. Gini doesn’t have Hendo’s level of drive and delivery, Hendo has a wicked cross and his long range shooting is underrated and underused. Also, Gini almost never got injured. Hendo has had various physical ailments. Durability is a crucial factor to be considered as well

1 Like

CDM
Fabinho, Bajcetic, Thuram, Henderson

LCM
Mac Allister, Thiago, Jones

RCM
Thuram, Henderson, Elliott

Not in that particular order.

Doesn’t look too bad if that’s our summer midfield business.

Guess Mac Allister is the one player with a ‚guaranteed’ starting place. Hope he doesn’t have any problems with the start of his career here.

The Mac Allister, Henderson, Thuram midfield would look interesting to me because Hendo and Kephi could switch positions during the games.

https://twitter.com/JamesMartin013/status/1673613410930491399?s=20

CDM
Fabinho, Henderson, Bajcetic

LCM
MacAllister, Jones, Thiago

RCM
Szoboszlai, Henderson, Elliott

Not to mention Trent stepping into the midfield as our playmaker.

This looks to be how it might be shaping up now, though as ever with silly season, there’s more twists and turns to come.

Perhaps we will sign three midfielders: Mac, Szobo, and Lavia?

Don’t count your chickens before they hatch …

…or wrap them under your nose or your arse might fall out.

If we are signing Sobs (can’t be bothered typing his whole name), then we are looking very attack-minded in midfield. Mac Allister, Thiago, Jones, Elliott and now Sobs are all better going forwards, not backwards (resists Simpsons reference) and we only have an ageing Henderson, a young Bajcetic and Fabinho, who has been substandard for ages now, in the holding role.

Looks worrying to me.

1 Like

So Boss

It’s the old ‘you score four, we’ll score five’ tactic

1 Like

We were never going to try and solve our defending problems across the team by buying a few Momo Sissokos, Franck Kessies and Manu Kones. Maybe only one of more of that kind, but someone who can also play.

Our defending (read: pressing), first and foremost, will have to be improve from the attacking line. That was well below par last season, big drop from our previous standards. It’s where we start our defending.

Then, obviously we need fresh legs and fresh quality in midfield. Then, the defence, if things in front of them are back working again, will have to push up and cut out the individiual mistakes (which rise with the amount of defending deeper they have to do if things in front aren’t working well).

That said, if someone told me our “midfield” moves this summer would be Mac Allister and Szoboszlai, I didn’t expect exactly that.

I have no doubt that this is still an attempt from us to solve our problems from last season, but they will very likely differ from what most fans & media thought we would do.

I also have my certain doubts and questions which I know won’t be answered before I see us in pre-season and in the first few weeks/months of the new season.

1 Like

Yes, I feel like we still need an athletic ball winner (who is also good with the ball) to round things out and add balance.

Arguably we have Bajcetic earmarked for the role, but we will take what’s left in the legs of the old guard while young Stefan fills out a bit, as his star rises.

If that’s the plan I’d be fine with that.

Like everyone says, the pressing will be crucial to help mitigate defensive vulnerability, and I also think Trent stepping into midfield as a playmaker gets another player in the middle of the park too, which will help.

On the pressing, it was notable to see Klopp celebrate our pressing game late last season, as the players hunted in packs to win the ball back quickly. He celebrated some of that stuff like it was a goal. I think that tells us a lot about what he wants to see.

3 Likes

Jones, Trent, Jota, Mac, Cody are pressing monsters. That’s a good start.
I think Curtis Jones will surprise a few people next season. If he stays fit, I think he’ll play loads.

2 Likes

Mine’s Bozo. Difficult to ascertain which one is the worst.

Bozo is Boris Johnson.

None of our signings have been that bad… not even PFK (Paul Fuckling Konchesky, for those who are too young to remember)

2 Likes

I’m not that worried. Especially if the advanced midfielders have the legs to get back and we get Trent in the deeper midfield playmaking role where he’s got to defend as well.

Is Fabinho a concern - Yes
Is the injury prone nature of Thiago a concern - Yes

But we still have Henderson and Bajcetic to do a job there.

Would I like one more signing , Yes. Most definitely , If the right person was available for the right amount and we’ll have enough time to brood them in. Is that more important than a Left footed CB ? Well nope.

Getting in both this season would be the best way forward. Focus on the CB now and then look to get one CDM in the Jan window.

1 Like

All Out Attack mode

1 Like