The Central Midfield Thread

It was all evident on the pitch (although not for long and it was still somewhat mixed success, there was so much damage done last season) and Trent explained it himself.

On the ball, he made the diagonal movement switch into midfield. Off the ball, also depending where we lose it and where our press breaks, he would either remain to defend in midfield (in which case Konate defends “his” channel) or go back to RB.

What we have to see now what’s the quality of our game in all phases. In the pressing phase, in the possession (either building from deep or breaking opponents in their own half) phase, in the defending of counter attacks (so, counter-press) phase, in the defending mid/in our half phase. Set-pieces are also a phase on it’s own.

We cannot just imagine our best XI right now with all these new shiny toys thinking about one phase only.

And as for opponents, of course they scan us, just like we scan them. But scanning and stopping is very different. Arteta and Klopp both took influence from the numerous “tweaks” City did in last years. Just like Howe took influence from Klopp for Newcastle’s style last season.

Whatever we decide to do, formations and structure are less important than us reviving our principles and quality of them. And then we’ll see how often we are in this or that structure. Trent, right now, isn’t a full time midfielder yet. It’s still in a developing phase, we had a decent sample of that in the final part of the season.

2 Likes

It gives better options in possession, no doubt about that. Also allows our best footballer to get on the ball as much as possible.

3 Likes

Cases when the ball is played on the left hand side with Robbo on the ball. You won’t see Trent transitioning into the inverted wingback role. He transitions to the role only when the ball is being played towards his side of the pitch.

I see him staying in a typical RB role when Robbo’s going on the attack. But transitioning more to the inverted role when he’s starting the attack. This is to 1) account for him getting back to the RB role which is easier for him to do from a defensive midfielder position. He’s not the quickest RB there is 2) press the opposition midfielders when the ball is released with more bodies in the midfield in which case Konate / Gomez are tasked with handling the ball down the right wing if need be 3) transition the ball quickly to the attacking midfielders / forwards to begin the attack when the opposition’s shape is awry.

This is still gegenpressing and true to Klopp’s principles.

1 Like

Ok assuming Sobs gets over the line, does Thuram go bye bye? There was a lot of smoke and interest there. It feels like he was a preferred target until the Sobs deal became a possibility, bumping Thuram down the list. Or is it possible Thuram is seen as more of a long term replacement for Fabs and we still have interest? I agree with some that unless someone leaves we will not be in for another midfielder…have plenty going into the season at this point. I think the focus will now be a left-sided - hopefully left-footed- CB and perhaps we get a #6 in a future window.

I don’t think Thuram was seen as someone who would right now displace Fabinho out of the XI. He can have the ability to play #6 in a double-pivot structure, but our focus obviously went to improve our first line behind the attack, the two #8 (or #10 in the box structure) slots. To improve both our pressing and quality in possession. If it’s single pivot, we still have Fabinho, Hendo and Bajcetic who can play there. If it’s double-pivot, more players like Trent, Thiago, Mac and even Jones could do a job there if needed. But it needs to be the right mix/partnership in the right type of games/periods in games. We have no idea how certain individuals will perform during/after pre-season, we might have players who struggled last season improving, new signings needing time, etc.

2 Likes

Good question. I think thuram isn’t what we would like in a defensive midfielder. He was probably a Backup plan in case our other targets don’t work out.

I still do think we should be signing one more midfielder this season as well as a CB this transfer window though.

2 Likes

I was also curious all the time whether: a) we even want to get rid of Fabinho and b) what is even the level of interest from the market.

Maybe we don’t want to necessarily get rid, but are willing to listen to offers. But that was always going to be a hard one to sell due to many factors: the season he’s had, age of 29 (30 in October), 3 years left on his deal at a top food chain level club, not many positions in his arsenal apart from #6 (highly doubt someone would stick him back to RB now), not really a regular international player.

There are absolutely no rumours whatsoever around him yet, clubs being mentioned with him, linked, etc. All sounds a bit unrealistic that we could sell him this summer on terms that would be also good for us. Unless we would be also open for a loan with option/obligation to buy.

So if he doesn’t improve more than he did in the last part of the season, that one might happen more in one of the next windows.

3 Likes

I feel like Klopp doesn’t want to sell him, but maybe for reasons you point out.

And

Both of them? That would be a strong midfield :wink::joy:

This is not only a midfield question, but to continue the conversation…

A bit more on the defensive structure when Trent needs to drop back and our box formation needs to go back to a more “standard” system…

City, when they were without the ball, last season, have been defending in basically a compact 4-4-2 (or 4-4-1-1, we can say). Stones dropped back to RCB, Walker shifted a little bit across to RB, Gundo to LCM alongside Rodri, Grealish showing better defending than ever in his career, Bernardo on the right side and Bruyne alongside or slightly behind Haaland (not too dissimilar front two to Gerrard & Torres for a few seasons).

The difference here is Salah on the right side and his special role. I’m not saying he’s not responsible defensively, but he’s had a role on his own almost, teams having to think twice how they attack/risk on his side because of the threat he poses. If he plays a bit wider or more central is less important, but having to defend high in a 4-3-3 and needing to be part of the middle ‘4’ in a 4-4-2 (when we know what protection Trent needs when he’s at RB) is different. If Nunez really makes it here as the central striker (I have my doubts whether he can even become that while Salah is on the right in his own role), he could become the next guy where opponents have to re-think how they risk in his zone.

Let’s see if Szoboszlai would have to drop back to RCM (questionable how well he’d do there in his first season in a more demanding league) in our defending 4-3-3 when the (counter-)press breaks. Or maybe we would introduce also more of a 4-4-2 (4-4-1-1) structure without it. Where Trent would drop back to RB, Mac Allister/Thiago/Jones would drop back to LCM alongside either Fabinho/Hendo, Salah defending deeper than ever, Diaz/Jota/Gakpo (whoever is on the left on the day) on the left and Szobo central like Bruyne behind Gakpo/Nunez/Jota (whoever is up top on the day).

Szoboszlai in could mean also us having one little eye on our team evolution post-Salah. It could also help Nunez’s case. Having a proper connector either central or from the right inside channel.

It’s funny, but Szoboszlai is probably the player (or well on that path) Jones (and ourselves together with him) hopes to become. Adding serious numbers or substance to that combination of physical stature, energy at this stage of career and natural technical ability. Sure, Szobo comes from one much weaker and one somewhat weaker league. I’m not saying we cannot have both here for at least a while.

Szoboszlai: Now trembled before your death. For be it my mask, or be it your blood, red will be the last color that you’ll ever see.

You all have it wrong. According to reddit his name is Dommy Shlobbers.

Its a tactical tweak that every other top side in the league is transitioning towards.

All tactics eventually get “found out”.

2 Likes

I like the tactical tweak of Trent stepping into midfield as a playmaker, from the inverted fullback role. Teams know it is coming, but stopping it is another thing. We will switch from 433 to 343, or 3223, and the extra man in midfield will be devastating, especially with the quality we are assembling now.

We’ll not be in a 4-3-3 while defending.

It should be more of a 4 (with Konate tackling in RB with Trent or the DM doubling back to get into a back 4. It will be somewhat of a 4-4-2 (Diamond) with one of the wingers (either Diaz/Salah) coming back to the midfield to help depending on where the ball is being played.

There is a situation on the pitch, depending where we lose the ball, when Trent either defends in midfield until we obviously regain the ball, or sprints back to RB. I’m talking about our midfield and attacking structure in that latter.

Either Szoboszlai has to prove he can defend as the #8 in the best league he’s played in his career, or maybe we switch to more of a 4-4-2 in those situations, but then Salah has to defend more than ever in his career.

Again, let me repeat, that is not our first aim from the first second when we have to defend. Our first aim will still be to regain the ball as highest and as soon as possible. But when it breaks, depending where it breaks, we have to go back to a more “standard” structure.

The 4-diamond-2 is actually more closer to the 4-3-3 than the 4-4-2. Especially considering we ended the season with Gakpo who had the advantage central over Nunez.

1 Like

I really wonder if we’re done. We have eight midfielders plus Trent.

I think the key is what happens to the old guard.

If we are retaining all three of Henderson, Thiago and Fabinho, I think it will be next summer when we add a new defensive midfielder.

If one or two of the old guard leave this summer, I could see us adding another midfielder, hopefully.

Club captain, legend and home-grown; I’m certain that Henderson will stay.

High salary, injury-prone, and free next summer; no one will want Thiago this summer.

Fabinho may attract some suitors though.

Think this summer it doesn’t really depend of names and age.

It’s very much who can help us most to get back to higher levels. Full focus on performance, the ones who will merit the most, will play.

Then, naturally, we also have to think about the (near) future. The most important thing is that we always have a right balance of experience and youth.

This is very likely going to be Thiago’s final season. I believe we can already imagine a scenario (without any guarantees, a club like Liverpool is always looking for improvements) where next season we have Mac Allister and Jones as two main options for that LCM role.

There’s a question how Fabinho will perform this season, with 3 years left on his deal. He bloody needs to raise his game properly for everyone’s benefit. To help himself, help us and attract interest from the market. That we’re not stuck in the mud together for 2-3 more years.

Hendo’s contract ties him here until he’s 35. He might do a Milner, if he’s fit enough and motivated enough to do that.

1 Like