The Central Midfield Thread

Really? The season before, weren’t we unbeatable, at least most of times, and weren’t Hendo and Fab key parts of it?

2 Likes

Yeah, that is my opinion. Stated it at the time too, no revisionism here.

Fabinho scored some really important goals but his midfield play was clearly declining, and towards the end of the season he had some absolute stinkers (big games too, games that cost us the big pots). Henderson was a mixed bag all season. People can disagree about Fabinho if they like, but last season was more of a surprise to some than others.

Oxlade Chamberlain played 40 odd games in an even better team in 19/20, it was still obvious he wasn’t the same player. He only went one way from there.

City’s 100 point winning team had Otamendi and Fabian Delph at the back. Not every player in a great team is great.

1 Like

This is clearly revisionist thinking…

Look at the player thread. It’s full of talk from the end of the 21-22 season about him having become too slow, too easy to play around, not good enough on the ball, excitement over him being upgraded with Tchouameni.

You might not have agreed it with then but there were people who clearly held that view even back then when we were winning (albeit by the end of the season doing so on fumes) and Illok was one of those very clearly articulating that…

3 Likes

There may have been talk. Whether it had substance, last season excepted, is another matter.

Maybe. But it is not revisionist if what is being said today about his performances 18 months ago were being said at the time

3 Likes

It is substantively revisionist. It was never backed by the reality on the ground. Folks were practically blaming him for every chance/goal the team gave up…

That isnt what revisionist means.

4 Likes

There’s also talk about Salah…
Should we now take that serious?

If it modifies reality, then yes

It’s all subjective. My opinion of their performances in 21/22 is the same now as it was then, therefore it isn’t revisionist.

End it there, this is extremely boring. Just for future record, I don’t think either player, as of this date, is very good at football.

2 Likes

I guess they’ve suddenly become basketballers, all the while still being part of their international squads…

Its a free country- we can all make all sorts of claims…

I’m half way through a bottle of wine, I guess you’re about 3 bottles ahead of me. Fuck knows what you are on about.

1 Like

I know why many don’t want Hendo and Fabinho leave, but in term of quality, they are backup level right now. Event Tsimikas or Gomez give me better confident than them to start. Its backup level transfer IMO. Everyone just too emotional.

Text

None of us knows that. And if the history of Klopp and new signings is anything to go by, the classification of backups is incorrect…

Quality aside I think we are moving to a more fluid setup and the box largely removes the need for a pure 6. All the midfielders will need pace, stamina, pressing ability and a high level of progressive and technical skill.

Essentially the “Wijnaldum” role will now be at the base of the box with Trent.

Fabinho and Henderson can exist in that system but its not a good fit for them. Fab due to skillset, Hendo due to age.

6 Likes

Back up for a Villa or Brentford. Watching them last season was extremely painful, Hendo I get to an extent as he’s relied more on his athletism and drive than technical ability & we witnessed his struggles earlier on his career…Fab on the other hand I can’t comprehend the rapid decline, he went from 1 of the best DM’s in the league to 1 of the worst, very sad to witness first hand but I’ll always be grateful for the years before that.

There was a period earlier this year where I could make a case for getting rid of every midfielder we had, now with the exception of Jones who surprised me immeasurably I’d still be happy to see that transpire. We’ve needed to be more ruthless with the squad in recent years, now we’re finally seeing that gives me great optimism we can move forward, basically erase last season from existence and get back to where we were prior.

1 Like

Unpopular option but that will make Jones shining. He is the most complete package we have. Much more physical and faster than Allister and Thiago, more defensive mind than Szoboszlai, he also can join box and works as extra attacker.

5 Likes

Very popular with me! I agree I think he’s hard to displace. Been banging the “Jones is an elite prospect” drum for a long time

6 Likes

Is there a case that we seee a case with Jones as the #6 ? And Mac / Sobs in front of him ?