The Central Midfield Thread

Yes, I think Jones starts as the LAM with Mac behind him but that kind of fluidity will happen in game I imagine.

It’s not exactly formationless but we will be highly fluid and flexible.

2 Likes

In my opinion, the situation with Hendo is pretty clear. He is being offered a chance to earn £35 million a year for 3 years - £105 million (tax free?). And he is past his peak years, so I believe Jurgen will let him go.

For Thiago, with his injury record and high salary, again Jurgen might let him leave especially if we can get a fee for him.

In Fabinho’s case, I would keep him even though we may get £40 million for him. We need at least 1 experienced head in our midfield. Also, if we get in Lavia, we will have 1 season to bed him in. Fab also can cover our RB position as a back up.

Of course we need to get 1 more CM to replace those 2.

Hendo’s one I’d be keeping around out of three if I could.

6 Likes

For SGS once he’s got over his hangover. :grin:

A dictionary definition: Attempting to reevaluate and restate the past based on newly acquired standards.

Well, looks like Fabinho’s transfer is a matter of hours. He was a very, very important player for Liverpool. Last season - was like a rollercoster for him and his mates in midfield. Awful first start of the season, then improved when Trent’s position was chanched and looked almost back to his best form.

The offer is too good to turn down - 40 mln. pounds for a midfillder who will turn 30 in 3 months. For example Arsenal sold Xhaka for 20 mln . pounds and both of them are with the same age profile.

What irritates me are the names quoted bye every closely connected to the club journalist /Reddy, Pearce, Joyce, Bascombe, King/ - Gravenberch, Amrabat, Philips and Lavia. Lavia is the only name that deserves to be mentioned with Liverpool, but he is still very raw /for example his childish mistake for Jota’s goal/ and he has played just 29 PL games in his whole career.

I still think that he is a very good option to sign young midfielder with huge potential, who could learn and improve under Klopp’s guidance, but thinking that next season he will be our leading number 6 is pretty optimistic.

Gravenberch was not good enough for Bayern and he is definitely not a number 6. Philips is an absolute joke looked out of his depth every time I watched him for $ity and hopefully we stay away from him. And Amrabat - if you think that Fabinho is slow… Well, just watch Amrabat, if we sign him, very soon people will understand that actually Fab is faster than the moroccan midfielder.

Let’s take a look at the midfielders that are going to Germany for the training camp - Henderson /he could and will probably be sold too/, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Thiago /injured as usual and could be sold too amid interest from Saudi Arabia and Barcelona/, Bajcetic /recovering from injury/, Clark, Frauendorf, McConnell. Jones and Elliott will join later, but Curtis is missing too many matches because of injuries too.

That is not good enough for a long and highly competitive season. Looks like Caicedo is out of our reach, because Chelsea once again will have more money to spend. Lavia is a good signing, but I really hope to see more ambition for another important signing .

I knew he was bad…but surely you do not have to add to his age to make him look worse!

1 Like

Will it be too bad if we end up with

Mac Allister
Szoboszlai
Jones
Elliott
Bajcetic
New CM

1 Like

Depends on the new CM I guess.

Don’t let @Dutch see you calling Elliott a midfielder :wink:

Two signings more would allow us the liberty of resting mo for some games , using Dom there.

I rather we need to keep at least one of Thiago or Hendo, the latter preferably.

Mac Allister
Szoboszlai
Jones
Elliott
Bajcetic
New CM
Thiago or Hendo

Will be happy with this group of players as our midfield options.

1 Like

That’s what Doak is for, especially in cup games against (theoretically) weaker opposition.

1 Like

I do think Dom will play as a forward in some matches though. Esp if Mo is injured etc.

1 Like

Elliott doesn’t need to be strictly our backup midfielder or backup right winger. He can cover two positions, depending on different things and needs on the day. Doak is promising, but doesn’t yet need to be officially Salah’s direct replacement. As things stand, he will probably not be the one who will replace Mo when he leaves for AFCON. Might get some game time in EL group stage and hopefully he continues making progress.

Would imagine Jota or Diaz would be first in line to replace Salah.

1 Like

I’d also imagine that the consideration of who plays his role when Mo isnt playing is something we face very very times this season.

1 Like

If we end up with this group of midfielders, I would be very happy:

Szoboszlai
MacAllister
Jones
Trent*
Henderson
Lavia
Elliott
Bajcetic

Henderson’s experience and leadership to help bring some of the younger ones through, then Szoboszlai and Mac are two primo operators added for here and now, and the future too.

Bring it on.

1 Like

More from Jones on everything central midfield.

:joy: :tada:

1 Like

I don’t listen to Jones. All he does is waffle :joy:

What about if he added some eggs and hash browns?

That would make a complete breakfast :drooling_face: