The Central Midfield Thread

We have 4 promising up and coming players in Curtis, Elliott, Bajcetic and Morton. They can develop further this season in the EL and Cup competitions.

Which leaves us with Thiago, Alexis, Trent and Dom for the 1st team midfielders. IMO we need 2 more experienced midfielders to challenge for top 4 or even the title.

Here’s hoping FSG won’t let Jurgen down.

You’re relegating Jones to a Europa League player?

2 Likes

Think that’s a very good summary. I agree, it doesn’t feel like any of the names linked are a ‘perfect’ option for us.

We have/are losing 8000 midfield minutes from last season, and have so far replaced it with 2 players. It should hopefully get very busy soon.

I would have thought Jones was in line for more game time if not for the injury…

1 Like

I think Curtis Jones will play more than last season, and probably Bajcetic too. So they will eat into the 8000 minutes, along with the two new signings and whoever else is coming in.

I’m intrigued to see if it is one or two more midfielders. And I’m wondering what Thiago is going to do.

Play for 5 games, then pick up an injury, come back play another 5 games before picking up
another injury, he’ll be on the road to recovery before suffering a set back and that’ll be him done here.

1 Like

Or
He will be used sparingly and be the most effective player on the pitch whilst he is there.

2 Likes

I admire your optimism.

1 Like

To be honest I am fed up of all the negativity on football at the moment… not really optimistic, more hopeful…

1 Like

Henderson is now CONFIRMED OUT to Al-Ettifaq for 12m plus add-ons.

Fabinho should be out soon for 40m to Al-Ittihad. He was left out of the preseason squad for a reason.

So that’s 52m pounds back to Liverpool’s coffers. Plus we take their wages off the budget.

We should be able to make a major move for a new #6 midfielder.

I would be delighted to close a deal quickly for Caicedo, while Chelsea dither. We know Klopp likes him. We know he is a primo operator in the Prem already. We know he has a good understanding with MacAllister.

The likely price would be too much for us, unless we are seeing the Saudi windfall as an unexpected bonus that means we can go for a bigger fish.

If that’s not possible, Lavia would be the one for me. Still some inexperience, of course, but I think Klopp could turn him into a world class player.

Thiago
MacAllister
Szoboszlai
Caicedo/Lavia
Jones
Bajcetic
Elliott
Trent* (as an inverted fullback, most likely seeing lots of action stepping into midfield)

I think that would be enough, although if the new signing is Lavia, I would understand calls for another midfielder on top, especially as Thiago might be off, but even if not, he has injury issues these days; and there is also a fair amount of youth in the list of midfielders.

1 Like

With the imminent departures of those 2, you’d like to think that, hopefully, we’d be bringing 2 more midfielders in. As bad as they both were last season, they still played A LOT of minutes between them.

Ideally you want 6-8 (reliable) options in there, we’d be down to 5 discounting Trent… 1 of them is Thiago and 1 of them is an 18 year old we don’t know exactly when he’ll be back in the fold.

Mac Allister was particularly good today.

Picks up dangerous positions in space, turns on the ball well, plays the right pass.

5 Likes

Not sure we can. They rejected a 70mil outright from Chelsea and rumour to look for a Rice level deal. Never thought Rice was worth that so same for Caicedo. But then I also thought Nunez was not worth 100mil Euros. But we trigger anyway because of long contract etc so who knows. The Nunez and Dom deals showed when absolutely sure and necessary, we will pay the asking price.

You are probably right. Still, I’m imagining we had a budget that was in the range of signing someone like Lavia. In the new paradigm, we have 50-60M in Saudi cash, after the sales of Fabinho and Henderson.

It gives us the boost we need to get in there, quickly and decisively, for Caicedo.

Probably barking up the wrong tree, but it is silly season after all :joy:

Depending on the payments that are structured for Henderson / Fabinho. I assume we’ll be asking for those payments to be made fully upfront (the add-on’s not withstanding). Assuming we get 50m upfront totally from the Saudi Jerks , We can then negotiate on favourable terms the payment schedules for 2 midfielders. Remember that the Jota deal where we paid wolves only 4m in the first year , I assume the same can be done for the other deals as well.

1 Like

I know a couple have mentioned it but do we need anymore major investment - especially in access of 50M and especially for the midfield? Someone with experience for 30M would be ideal - otherwise somewhere else or no one.

1 Like

Dog Gif GIF

Have you seen Klopps post match in regards to playing balls into the half spaces, he said in the 2nd half we doubled the amount of passes into that half space compared to the 1st half. Reckon this was due to Macallister owning that area