The Central Midfield Thread

To be more precise a first 11 for the EL and a reserve in the 1st team in PL. He had a good run in the tail end of last season. Would like him to maintain that level for at least 5 to 10 games this season especially against the top teams to be considered a first 11.

1 Like

Jones made a very good case to be the best midfielder for Liverpool at the tail end of the last season. The arrival of Macallister notwitstanding , Heā€™ll be playing plenty.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if either him or Mac play in the LDM role with the other being a bit more adventurous in the LAM. And them interchanging positions if and when the situation calls for it too.

Thoughts on Szobo and MacAllister switching sides?

Well, I was hoping theyā€™d stick around a bit longer than just preseason, seeing that weā€™ve just signed them

5 Likes

To clarify;

Expected: Ali Mac (LCM) ā€” Szobo (RCM)

Observed: Szobo (LCM) ā€” Ali Mac (RCM)

Either can and have played in both positionsā€¦.until we see them blossoming together on the pitch, preferably in competitive games, then thereā€™s not much to draw from it.

We also observed Kostas at LCM and Bradley at RCM (and at times a double pivot next to Trent) which isnā€™t ideal but then at present we donā€™t have the options this pre-season.

1 Like

Curtis Jones will play loads this season IF he stays free from injury. Klopp loves him and so do I. Jones, Mac and Sob in midfield. Up front will sort itself out.
Defence at the moment speaks for itself. Robbo, VVD, Konate and Trent.

5 Likes

Whatā€™s to stop the opposition from consistently targeting Trentā€™s off/on defending again? Thereā€™s a reason heā€™s been shunted to midfield, and to be fair, he seems to be thriving there.

Trentā€™s position has been done to death. Heā€™s still a right back who will move into midfield when are attackingblah blah. Zoran please step in and explain when Trent will and wonā€™t be in midfield.

Thought that was clear.
Frustrated Over It GIF by The Dude Perfect Show

4 Likes

We want the opposition to be targetting Trent and the RB side. Our defenders are more than capable of stopping the cross and our quicker CM that we have now will press better to win the ball back.

Konate going to the right wing to diffuse the danger will more than allow Trent enough time to either make a decision as to whether to track back temporarily (if the ball continues to be played through the wings) to the CB position or to press forward depending on where the ball is played.

I think there will be a time or two or three where we will be caught out with this and critics go baying for our blood. But the benefits quite obviously outweigh the pitfalls. The opponent becomes hopelessly out balanced in terms of players on one side leaving the other side ripe for a counter attack.

And this is only for the attacks initiating from Trent or through Trent.

We still have the Robbo outlet where he continues to play like how heā€™s playing where Trent quite possibly sticks to the back three when Robbo goes on to create the overload on the left side of the pitch.

One reason why I wouldnā€™t be in favour of Robbo losing his place is that youā€™ll be hardpressed to find a better all round leftback/wingback than him. His defensive ability for a leftback of his attacking output is immense.

1 Like

I think he explained it was the result of simply giving the ball to Trent and expecting him to do all, rather than follow through on the ā€˜processā€™ā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s how I understood it as well when I saw the interview.

It was also that players didnā€™t move into those pockets to receive the ball from Trent, canā€™t wait to se Trent, Szobo and Mac play together

IMO Bajcetic has impressed Klopp the most last season out of the youngsters.

Will wait to see whoā€™s going to be our third new midfielder but wouldnā€™t surprise me if Stefan plays more minutes than Harvey and Curtis.

Also, donā€™t think it has been mentioned recently in one of the thousand threads we have now - I can remember Curtis starting as a DM in one or two Cup games and Thiago done it too.

Wouldnā€™t surprise me if donā€™t sign anyone at all or more likely than that a versatile #8 able to play as CDM too. We could go back for Thuram.

Bajcetic did really well but Jones was far better, and is certainly a much better player in advanced areas.

8 Likes

There is no way that Bajetic will play more minutes than Curtis this season unless,

1. Curtis has an injury plagued season.
  2. Bajetic is Souness and Gerrard rolled into one.
  3. Something has gone horribly wrong.
  4. Iā€™m in a parallel universe.
  5. Iā€™m a monkeyā€™s uncle.

By the way, I think Bajetic is a fantastic prospect.

They need to get a move on with the Fabinho and Hendo deals! If they are going, GO!

Let us get on with it. Canā€™t stand the limbo.

2 Likes

Yes i agree, a midfield two in the advanced box midfield will be between jones mcallister szbozlia and Elliott,plenty of cover there with also bajetic in the mix, its just who we play beside trent, mac could do but will takeaway from his natural game, i would suggest to play thiago with trent in the back box and buy lavia to learn as he goes.