The Central Midfield Thread

It’s been rumoured they’ll leave on deadline day, just so it gives us a bit more time to relax whilst we all get to know each other a little better and bring the whole TAN community closer together.

Jones is outrageously underrated by our own fanbase.

15 Likes

This is the season for him to establish himself. I’m confident he will based on what we’ve seen this year.

Make or break season for Jones. He’s no longer a young, inexperienced kid. Been around the first team for what feels like ages. All indications are he’ll step up this season but if he doesn’t, I’ll likely run out of patience as I haven’t rated him as highly as others. I really want him to become a great player for the club, but have my doubts.

I think you’ll find that Jürgen thankfully disagrees.

Just because it feels like he’s been around for ages, doesn’t mean that all of that was meaningful time that contributes to his growth. Jürgen doesn’t even think a footballer’s the finished article at 24, which is why we tend to keep some players around until around that age.

1 Like

He’s just touched 21. He’s still a kid. Midfielders are at their peak when they are 26-27.

He’s 22.5, but your point still stands

2 Likes

Also , one of the standout players for England in the European championships. He might not get into the england national team on a regular basis considering how stacked the midfield is. But that’s not anything against him.

But then , if mount goes off the boil as anyone who’s joined man utd is liable to do. He will find himself in contention.

1 Like

If he was playing for Porto or Dortmund the same crew would be creaming over him.

8 Likes

The question is really whether Mount can return to the boil.

3 Likes

I get what you all are saying, but if we were creaming for Jones if he were at Porto and moved here- at 22- he’d be expected to contribute significantly right away. Caicedo is 22 (I think). Would he be given the same leniency? Or Lavia after being here 3 years and 22? I don’t think so. Again, I’m pulling for him and haven’t written him off….I just think it’s a make or break year. If he can’t cement himself this year then he may never do it.

I don’t worry for Jones in terms of support from fans.

He came through as a young player, technical, now also good physically and is a local lad. He should have no problems with getting most people on his side, which I believe is the case. If anything, fans of clubs tend more to overrate their own players rather than underrate. It’s just natural. That said, objectivelly, it’s his football that will do the talking (and luckily, there is more of that!). Not how old he is or where he’s from.

In recent months, I’ve read some wild opinions on him, both underrating him and overrating him. For a while, unfortunately, there was nothing to say about him due to some frustrating injuries. So that’s perhaps why he’s a topic again and we have come conflicting opinions. But I think we can all agree that he’s in a pretty good place.

The way he ended last season + some of his recent performances, albeit at U21 level, certainly secured his status at the club next season. Before that, there were maybe question marks what to do going forward. There was not room for all of the young players, even if Jones at 22 isn’t young on paper anymore.

For me, it’s enough from what I saw lately that he deserves being a Liverpool player for the near future, probably in more of a rotation role for now, battling to get a starting shirt. The rest is up to him and other players in his position(s). No need for some dramatic one way or the other opinions.

2 Likes

And therein lies the problem.

22 is young, in life as well as in football, yet due to society’s obsession with youth and shiny new things, a player who has barely started out on his career is already considered a failure by many. It’s absurd.

8 Likes

Our new 40m midfielder, Alexis, was a squad player at Brighton who scored one league goal and started thirteen times when he was 22.

10 Likes

I think to date he has done enough to justify being part of the squad, I don’t see why there would be such urgency for him to have a make or break year now. Another long injury or spell of poor form would be frustrating but nothing more in my opinion. He is clearly talented, and works hard to refine his game and be a part of the team.

https://twitter.com/mauriciopanini/status/1682382688450146311?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

We cooking up a storm with this hijack :heart_eyes:

Might be a bit optimistic

1 Like

NGL , Caicedo would be immense. The price tag however worries me.

He’s certainly no failure.

What he has accomplished already, coming through the Academy, being a Liverpool first team player for about 3 and a half years, during which the team won multiple things so obviously there was competition, is a success.

The rest, who knows. Certainly has the ceiling to be here for a good few years. Hopefully we are successful and he is successful as well.

4 Likes

I have a feeling Brighton stuck to the price because Chelsea were being arseholes

1 Like

Literally the next tweet lol:

He’s just mucking about.