The Central Midfield Thread

Why would you expect anything else?

1 Like

Mauricio Panini? I wonder if heā€™s a scion of the sticker album family?

Or maybe heā€™s just named after bread.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that heā€™s often toasted.

1 Like

Perhaps they called him that ā€¦and it stuck :thinking:

Did you see the last ten games or so of last season?

Itā€™s really the fitness which will decide whether he establishes himself as a mainstay in our midfield. If he stays fit, it will be very hard for anyone to force him out of the first team, our two new signings included.

1 Like

What did you think of the young lad McConnell in midfield ,was it a bit of a run around for the kid or a look to see if he can offer something this season ?

1 Like

I think heā€™s championship material right now. Send him on a loan to a side like Blackburn. Mcconnell that is

I donā€™t think there is a plan to bring him i to the first team squad in any meaningful way but I expect heā€™ll come up and train regularly. Bobby Clark will be the youth team player that gets a look in midfield (not counting Bajcetic).

I expect he, Koumas and Scanlon wonā€™t be in the squads later in pre-season but this a great learning experience for them to be around the squad right now.

2 Likes

Jones is outrageously overrated by our own fan base.

We should take the average and say heā€™s a good player with flaws. Thankfully improving.

Absolutely and he was great, although a standout in a really, really, bad midfield. With the addition of Mac and Sobz and with Thiago still here, can he be good and consistent enough to get in the starting 11 consistently? And this doesnā€™t include any competition from new midfielders we bring in. Heā€™s certainly not a flop or failure, but Iā€™m not sure he will be the player many think heā€™ll be. Probably somewhere in the middle as a squad player and thatā€™s ok.

Nah, Iā€™ll rate the player I see, thanks.

4 Likes

Fair enough. Still doesnā€™t mean Jones will reach that level. But again, I hope he does!

Alexis should have tried being scouse.

At Brighton? Heā€™d be on loan in League Two now without the benefit of being the local charity case.

2 Likes

Well at least with that tactic he knows he can claim he was right.

Them two might see a bit of thelmselves in the other.

1 Like

My bad really need to be sussing out these profiles before posting. I get too excited :weary:

1 Like

Jones is excellent. Heā€™s probably a year behind where he would otherwise be, due to injuries. We have been patient and worked with him to get him right, and hopefully he has a good run at it now. He will see plenty of action this coming season and should go on to be a smashing player for us for years to come.

He has more versatility to his game than I thought, playing deeper for England u21. That might be useful for us in the coming season, depending on who else we sign for the midfield.

1 Like

If he wouldnā€™t be scouse some reds would try to diminish him like they do with Foden for example.

If he wouldnā€™t be English heā€™d be just another player. :grimacing:

Wasnā€™t

English Teacher Exams GIF

2 Likes