The Central Midfield Thread

Tall/dominant in the air, fast, good with the ball, comfortable dribbling it out, making short passes and long diagonal balls, a threat or at least a distraction to opposition at set pieces, physically robust to stand up to rough CFs.

Gomez ticks a lot of boxes and is better at some things than he actually needs to be for the role. All my opinion obviously.

2 of Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho injured and I would be a bit worried.

1 Like

Two games in, and weā€™ve started Ox, Elliott, Milner, Kieta, and Henderson! Include Fab, Jones, and Thiago and it looks like we have more than enough numbers.

Conversely, you can say weā€™re only two games in and already had to play the 9th string CM (Elliott- based on age, experience, and the fact itā€™s a new position for him)- and be concerned based on relative fragility of Ox and Kieta and the fact that everyone else on that list has some sort of injury history.

Right now- it appears everyone is fully fit, with Kieta and Ox both getting a full preseason in, so Iā€™m inclined to say we will be good going into the season, with a possibility to address any shortcomings in January if necessary.

Personally, Iā€™m excited to see potential further development of Jones, and am curious to see how Elliott will make out through the season. He could be potential loan in January if players ahead of him somehow stay fit, as minutes may be hard to find if weā€™re pushing for a title.

1 Like

Maybe I should wait until the window is closed and we really donā€™t bring in another midfielder butā€¦

Iā€™m predicting that during this season we will realize that we have enough (quantity) midfielders.

Keita will get a new contract.

Milner and Ox to ā€˜leaveā€™ next summer and we will bring in ONE new midfielder who is not Bellingham.

2 Likes

If Gomez doesnā€™t possess those characteristics heā€™s not going to do very well at defensive midfield for us either, especially considering that our defensive midfield player often drops into the same line as our centre-backs when weā€™re attacking. I donā€™t think heā€™s lacking in any of those traits either, itā€™s just that given whoā€™s playing alongside him most of the time, he just doesnā€™t need to show things like dribbling, for example.

Been saying this at the start of the season alreadyā€¦

Fabinho and Hendo are the backbone of our midfield. They are not ā€˜allowedā€™ to be injured at the same time.

They have to be together on the pitch in the most important games and in any other league or CL game at least one of them has to be on the pitch.

Donā€™t understand why Klopp made no changes in midfield today.

Hendo was woeful and doesnā€™t seem to be at 100%.

Bad game by Fabinho and was even booked in the end.

Jones was invincible all game.

We had Keita, Ox and Taki on bench.

Thing with Klopp is he only uses 2 subs. He reserves one for emergencies. The RB sub was a must and the only reason I think Bobby for Jota was done was to have an additional player dropping deep than removing a midfielder.

The third sub need not always be kept reserved I think. We could have solidified by getting another midfielder maybe. But thatā€™s Kloppā€™s way of substitutions it seems.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t think there was an obvious sub to make. Keita for Jones was the only realistic option he had and Jones actually had a good last 20 or 25 minutes. Kloppā€™s not going to take the captain off in a game like that and Ox has struggled in two games against Norwich this season, Iā€™d have been worried if he was playing in this.

2 Likes

We canā€™t sign someone like Bissouma quick enough. The lack of energy / intensity is staggering. I can only think Hendo is carrying an injury because so far this season heā€™s been gash.

1 Like

Yves, I agree. That game was crying out for Bissouma. Thereā€™s no way Bernardo is walking past him time and time again.

Our midfield has looked good in many games this season, more adventurous without Gini in there, but for games like today and Brentford, when weā€™re so stretched, we need a different option.

Hopefully Milner and Ox can be replaced by that type of player in the summer, and the balance will look almost perfect.

3 Likes

Obviously not trusted.

I think that Keitaā€™s and AOCā€™s days are virtually over. It will be difficult to sell both for reasonable amounts and invest into one player who would bring the controlling factor to this midfield, though, thatā€™s my big fear. If Jones and Elliott are coached to play in the same eleven, the defensive midfielder behind him will have to be much more mobile and pressing-resistant than Fabinho was today. Five goals shipped against Brentford and Man City, majority of them because the opposition had the freedom of midfield, doesnā€™t paint a pretty picture.

2 Likes

I thought Naby would replace Fabinho near the end of normal time, Fab just stood in midfield for a moment and rested, he was running on empty.

IMO, Hendo should play at least a little deeper like in previous seasons.

Highly unlikely Klopp will ever go for it, but would we have something different to offer if we go three at the back? Especially when we have all four fit CBs and at times like yesterday when we are short in midfield and full back positions. And maybe games where we want to rest Fabinho.

ā€“ Alisson -

ā€“ Gomez - Matip - VVD

Trent/ Milly - - - Robbo/ Tsimikas

Thiago/ Hendo - Curtis/ Keita

Salah - Bobby/ Jota - Mane

This might have been suicidal against City you never know given we struggled in midfield, but this may work against some other teams. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I thought the same actually, but with Oxlade/Henderson playing right wing back.

A small fault of Klopp (I know how dare I question) is the lack of pragmatism and sticking to the structure/formation when we donā€™t have the right players available.

We clearly worked on Trent, Salah, Elliot as a triangle on the right (but high up) in pre-season, which was working really well and keeping the opposition pinned backā€¦ The problem is losing Elliot and now Trent means we have Hendo and Milner trying to do the same and itā€™s all falling appart at both ends.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with our midfield selection yesterday I donā€™t think. Itā€™s not always about personnel, straight changes, etc. Itā€™s City, weā€™re gonna struggle at times. One little thing though I wanted Bobby in for Jota from the start. In a game like yesterday without Trent, it takes away quite a bit of our quality in coming out with the ball. I think we needed Bobbyā€™s between the lines qualities.

2 Likes

It felt like the same as when weā€™d start Fab, Hendo, Gini 3 times in a weekā€¦ 2 good games then weā€™d be wide open game 3. So lack of depth yes, and lack of correct depth also a problem. Can tell why Klopp didnā€™t want to throw on Ox/Keita when we were wide open already.

I really donā€™t think thereā€™s any problem with a midfield of Fabs, Hendo and Jones if the tactics are right.
There were 2 points for me our midfield were either pressing too high, including Fabs leaving too much space between our lines. Or, when set deep our Zonal defense lets us down, weā€™re just not picking up midfield runners well enough against ā€˜topā€™ teams. Imo against a team like City KDB should be marked out of the game yet we leave him to do what he wants.
This is tactics not players imo.
Also in the 1st half we were hoofing it up the pitch which really was dissappointing and effectively bypasses the midfield. What do you expect from a bypassed midfield?

2 Likes