The Central Midfield Thread

Agreed, I think its not to diminish their contributions but its also factual that the main 3 were the main driving force in midfield of us winning everything

1 Like

Really hard to make a comparison today. The first group- while individually nothing to rave about- as a unit were incredible and won everything. The second group is definitely more exciting on paper, but at this point is just potential. I am very excited about this group and canā€™t wait to see how it unfolds. Still think we need an experienced #6 (in addition to Lavia) and a CB before all is said and done.

2 Likes

The first group spent years together and became an unit. The second group is only having their first preseason. I would defer any comparison until the second group has spent a season together.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s better to judge with a clear context. Hendo, Fabinho, Gini, and Milli were part of our successful team, but that doesnā€™t mean they are the standard for anything. Was any one of them, besides Fabinho, in the top 10 of their position? I doubt it. Their attributes suited to bring out the best in Trent and Robertson, and Klopp was the man behind that. If Henderson and Gini did not play for Klopp, there is a big chance they will end up their career with no silverware.

I donā€™t think our mids option right now is perfect, but their attribute suit our new set up, each of them all have standout attributes. I believe Klopp know to get their best, again.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s ridiculous to compare before the new group have even played one match together.

3 Likes

Itā€™s almost that Klopp is a great manager. :wink:

Klopp modified his tactics to work with what he has. If he had the likes of KDB in the team , would he have made him play the Gini role for instance?

Thats what makes great managers , the ability to recognise talent and how to use the talent in a team game ?

This is going to be one more evolution of Kloppā€™s Liverpool side and I for one am totally pumped for this.

4 Likes

Yes.
I do believe beside Allison and Vvd, who will success everywhere they plays, most of our players is just second tie level before they come here. Trent, Firmino, Salah was our key players but all of them have significant weakness, just remember how different in national team! And look how useless Mane and Gini rightnow.

DM
Lavia/Bajcetic + Trent

CM
Mac Allister/Jones/Thiago

AM
Szoboszlai/Elliott + Gakpo

Think thatā€™s how Klopp will look at his midfield options.

Sorry, had a deutsch moment

2 Likes

Trent is not a midfielder. he drifts into those locations at times, but heā€™s still a fullback

thanks.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Similar with Cody.

and Bobby before him. used to drift into those areas to creates mis-matches and to link up play

in Trentā€™s case, heā€™s filling a void left by the advanced CMā€™s moving out wide to support wing play. gives the DM a lateral pass option and still a CB behind for support.

1 Like

Can heā€¦and hear me out for a second, this might be preposterous for some to thinkā€¦can he not be both? (not simultaneously of course, but play in both positions if needed).

1 Like

If he runs up the sidelines far enough heā€™s a bloody winger too.

if heā€™s defending in 6yd box, can we call him a center back as well?

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s particularly controversial to suggest that Trent is somewhere on the depth chart for the DM position. Maybe the only question is whether we would sooner play Mac Allister there.

Lavia (or someone else) will be our last midfield signings for the summer.

Anyway, not seeing a scenario where Thiago wonā€™t be replaced when his contract expires next year because we will be a bit short in numbers for this season already.

Expecting it to be a huge signing and might even happen in January already if weā€™re on track for a CL return.

I get that but thereā€™s a lot of ā€œifā€™sā€ there, letā€™s examine whereā€™s heā€™s actually playedā€¦letā€™s hear what the player has had to say about his own future and positioning, letā€™s hear what the manager has had to say. Letā€™s look at a heat map of him in those last 12 games of the seasonā€¦thatā€™s a player taking on more midfield responsibilities is it not? Ok heā€™s got a long way to go but how many players have we had in the past that played years in more than 1 position? Instantly think Sammy Lee, Ronnie Whelan, Gary Ablett.

When you think of Trent as a player now and where his stand out attributes come from, do you think wow what a defender, what a full back, or do you think what a midfielder, what an all rounder?

nothing about midfield on the offal site.

Girl What GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like