The Central Midfield Thread

I wonder how many more times we’ll repeat the ‘is Trent a midfielder’ debate before Lavia signs?

It will continue afterwards

1 Like

The talk of Trent and his positioning has been a talking point throughout his career from the time he burst on the scene really…but at that time we were very wrapped up in our transition phase swiftly followed by being too occupied in celebrating the glories, with the finals, the league charges etc.

But hey, least no one can bemoan this has been taken off-topic somewhere else :grimacing:

Fun fact. I know that child’s father.

1 Like

The debate on Trent is silly. Let’s see where he plays when the proper action begins.

If it is like the last part of last season, he will be a fullback. But crucially, an inverted fullback. And he will have the freedom to step into midfield to be a playmaker, popping up all over, showing for the ball, giving us an overload possibility if there are three other midfielders, and using his fantastic range of passing to hurt the opponent.

A fullback? Yes, of course.
But seeing plenty of action in midfield? Yes, of course.

Hence the silly debate.

Klopp: “Let me say, this midfield Fabinho, Hendo, Gini and then Millie, these four for three positions, I think nobody would have said it would be a successful midfield because something is lacking - but nothing was lacking because the boys were all a real package.”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1684588546068283393?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

Not sure we can trust Thiago much this season. I imagine it will be another month or so before he is seen.

3 Likes

We start the season v Chelsea in a couple of weeks… and as it stands we won’t have a senior no 6…

Young Lavia looks quite likely, but should we be starting to worry?

Nah. It’s only Chelsea.

Full relaxation mode.

We wont have a 6 because we don’t want a 6. Even Lavia isn’t a 6 he’s more a defensive 8.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Okay - the other fella in the 2 in this 3-2-5 system.

The idea we won’t need someone more senior than a couple of teenagers there seems optimistic, especially given Thiago’s injury record

It depends on how you see the prospects though. I think the starting 2 in the deeper midfoeld positions will be Trent and Mac Allister with Lavia and Thiago being primary back ups.

Over the course of the season maybe Lavia can develop into a player who oushes Mac Allister back into a position further forward or maybe we remove the need for Trent to wander so much.

Eitherway the fact Lavia is 19 doesn’t concern me because I believe he is an elite level talent who has shown a maturity way beyond his years. He will have enoigh quality and experience around him that his age profile shouldn’t be a concern.

2 Likes

As long as they keep Elliott out of the team for the League games :grimacing:

If Fabinho had turned up with his form from last season against Chelsea I’d rather we have been playing with 10 players.

That’s the spirit!

Elliott can walk alone.

1 Like

Jones shouldn’t be overlooked either. He can most definitely start besides Szoboszlai and Mac Allister.

7 Likes

Nah, he’s just in the team because he’s Scouse…

1 Like

I have Jones as a lock in the first team. Not just because he’s talented enough but because he’s also (finally) showing the ability to consistently performances at a level consistent with his talent.

6 Likes

I’ve liked what i saw of Bobby Clark as well. Has good ability on the ball. Seems a good fit for the right sided #8. Isn’t that far off Elliot as well. I’d keep him in the first team this season as a third choice after Dominik and Elliot. Probably has better physicality than Elliot who at times seems rather lightweight in that department.

Thiago / Macallister / Lavia / Bajcetic

Dominik / Elliot / Clark Macallister / Jones / Thiago / Gakpo

That doesn’t seem too bad as it stands now especially with Trent drifting to the center. Exciting midfield on proposition and it’s been a while since a Liverpool midfield got me excited. Oh and Keep Doak around as a understudy to Salah as well. One Lavia and One CB and that’s our transfer window sorted.

6 Likes