The Central Midfield Thread

That’s true. But that One Lavia is taking his sweet time.

1 Like

Havent seen much commentary of the shape from today’s game, but heard a suggestion that in the first half it was Jones not Mac who was at the base of the midfield 2 with Trent. Is that right?

1 Like

We started getting more stable in the back when Mac started staying back.

Jones was the #6 primarily, but transitioned to the box MF with Trent; Clark shuttled in a box to box, while Mac was the #10.

He Mac’s positioning was quite interesting in the possession phase, wrt his ability to find pockets of space and play between the lines.

JK was however not quite happy with the front press/positioning in the opening half

Reflecting on the impact of the old Liverpool MF on the game as a whole, from what is going on at Madrid currently, and what City have done; as well as Barca.

I think many of us, do not realize enough how much impact our prime Jurgen Klopp MF (Hendo, Fab, Gini, Milly) had on the broader game.

Look at Madrid MF currently. Xavi describes it is the ‘most physical in the world’…City installed Rodri in response to us and enhanced it with Jones…

Barca’s even brought in Oreo cookie to enhance physicality…

1 Like

Klopp put it down to the pressing/shape from the front

:grin::grin: Oriol Romeu

Can’t read Hindi. Can understand it somewhat. Spoken is jackal-level; Keya Hua, Hukka Hua. Competencies in Urdu is almost zero.

Hindi and Urdu are the same language with different scripts.

Who do they play for and are they midfielders?

Reason I’d say that is , it’s easier for a Bengali native speaker to learn Hindi/ Urdu than it is for a Dravidian lingo guy like me to do so.

1 Like

I’m very poor at learning languages. I grew up with a Urdu speaking community in my neighbourhood and though I’m very selective, I have watched many Hindi movies and series.

1 Like

Mac was playing more a 10 roll

With a side of butter or jam spread?

Cream

Surely a scone not a roll?

My view on the game was that Jones played the 6 while Mac played the 10,but as the half wore on Mac dropped(not staying) deeper and in doing so created more and steadied the middle.From that point on we controlled the game a lot better .

1 Like

Will be interesting how our midfield evolves next.

Right now, I’m counting that we will get Lavia in soon and obviously Thiago will almost surely leave in the summer of 2024.

With the players that will remain, as things stand, the average age in midfield will be 21.8 in the summer of 2024.

Of course, things could still change until then, we might sign other players, etc.

I Love Lucy Sigh GIF by Paramount+

If we sign Lavia and if Thiago stays to summer 2024, we have enough midfielders. I also like that Thiago stays in as a veteran to help bring younger players through.

MacAllister
Szoboszlai
Thiago
Jones
Lavia
Elliott
Bajcetic
Trent*

That’s plenty for the next campaign. When Thiago leaves in 2024 we can assess the lay of the land again. We might need a prime age midfielder to come in and bolster the group, or then again, maybe the new additions all bossed it, and Jones went from strength to strength, and Elliott and Bajcetic kicked in too.

Either way, the above group is plenty for the midfield for this season, and I hope that’s what we have.

Then maybe a sneaky left sided central defender to come in?