The Central Midfield Thread

The fact that we may end up relying on the likes Bajetic, or worse, Morton or Clark-who for our No.6 position is terrifying.

they are young and inexperienced, but they are not “mugs”, behave

2 Likes

What’s wrong with Bajcetic? Did you actually watch the games he played last season or are you just writing him off because he’s 18?

He came in and showed up our seniors, we instantly looked better and we came out with some +ve results with him, 0-0 against Chelsea, 2-0 against Wolves Everton and Newcastle.

6 Likes

What was terrifying was watching teams stream past Fabinho or Hendo misplacing a pass and no longer sprightly enough the cover ground he would have easily covered in his pomp…over and over again

4 Likes

This type of comment winds me up. Our seniors were trying their best. A player reaches the point where their best isn’t good enough. A younger player replaces them and so the cycle goes on. They weren’t shown up.

1 Like

Don’t think he meant it like that. Obviously prime Hendo and prime Fab were top top class.I agree with you that the main issue was our failure to succession plan properly as opposed to Hendo and Fab’s efforts. The poor lads had to probably play through periods they’d be resting had the Treatment Room Trio (again tongue in cheek) been more regularly available.

2 Likes

Clark is a winger who has been converted into a 10/8 for the U21s. You’ll see Matip at DM before you see him there.

We’ll get a DM.

1 Like

We will buy someone even Klopp has made this clear.

Look at the Lavia situation doesn’t even look like they are interested in talking to him.

1 Like

He also had a game or two where he turned over the ball a lot in dangerous areas and we conceded goals directly because of them. Real was one of them I think. Thats absolutely fine and normal for a very inexperienced 18 year old, so no-one should be trying to kick him to the kerb because of it. But it also makes sense not to just assume he is ready for a full season in the first team.

We still need another midfielder. Unless something has changed with Caicedo, we are still the club with the bid in. I am kind of getting annoyed with the talk of retracting our bid ‘because he is not 100% committed to us’, a mere 24 hours after we put a bid in. Give it time. We are still a great shout of sealing this deal, particularly if Chelsea can get out of his agent’s ear for 5 seconds.

1 Like

If you were a neutral and had been following what Chelsea and Liverpool were doing the last few weeks, you’d think the Liverpool-Caicedo and Chelsea-Lavia bid was nothing but an ego-driven dick-swinging tit-for-tat contest by a couple of billionaires.

Chelsea comes in and disrupts our Lavia bidding process, we blow Chelsea’s Caicedo bid out of the water, Chelsea get an agreement for Lavia as retribution - both teams are holding the player that the other wants for ransom.

But I i just don’t see Hogan/Henry putting in a bid merely for vengeance and such a thing is not realistic given what goes into a £100m+ contract with very specific performance related conditions etc. Boehly doing that with Lavia? Well we’ll see. I still have a feeling that Chelsea wont go through with the Lavia deal if they manage to prize Caicedo from us with their disruption. Which I would find it in poor form if it happens. No player should be dicked around like that. But let’s see what happens. Either team could still get either player.

Yup. Which they’ve already done with Adams

What a load of Tosh, e.g Clark has not played the 6 role tut tut

Although, I personally like the idea of having a DM, I think that may not be necessary. We need another CM.

Curtis, Alexis, and Dominik is great core and Thiago, Elliott, and Bajcetic are good cover. But fitness and inexperience makes that cover fragile.

If we add another midfielder, it will be good to go.

We definitely need another midfielder, so I agree there.

If it is someone who isn’t a traditional dm, but can cover the ground, get tackles in, pass the ball, and crucially, be switched on defensively, so as to be aware of danger and runners and so on, then we need that man!

If it is more of a traditional 8 who has the game to do what we need, I don’t mind that.

There are more 8s knocking about than 6’s, so if we can get what we need from another 8, because they are basically a good footballer and can do anything we need in the midfield, then bring it on!

So…a dm

We don’t need a CM, DM, CDM whatever, we just need a FGM, Fucking Good Midfielder

1 Like

Or an EDM…an excellent defensive midfielder…

That would be music to my ears.

2 Likes

This entire saga of getting a midfielder has become a circus. Doesn’t look good now, at all. Everyone knows we are in dire need of one, (but we have had many, many months to prepare for this it should be said, and the only players we have been able to get at all have been those with a buy out clause; so missing Edwards here i think) and we did not offer the bid Saints wanted from the get go, so Chelsea came in. And now Chelsea snaps Caceido as well from us. He was expensive anyway, but we are desperate now and getting nobody we want.

I think it is quite worrisome. Maybe it will turn out good, but this is far from ideal…