The Central Midfield Thread

There will always be me who wants one more transfer before I’m satisfied.

The club can get two more guys and I’d still hope the club gets one more across.

But in this case, it’s not unreasonable to expect 2 signings happening. Preferably one in CB and one in either of RB / LB or CDM.

That might give us a future glimpse into whether we field Trent up full time as a CDM

My post is not about him or anyone coming in to start,it’s not even about being automatically the 1st back up.8 assists in the league last season is probably as much if not more than any of our mids have assisted in a number of years.He was available enough to start 23 games in the league last year,more than Thiago has ever been available for us.Milner barely got into double figures for us in the past 3 seasons in the league.Where i see success is when that experienced player can come in and do a decent job when called upon.Not to do it week in week out.I’m not talking about the player who is going to win the league on his own.I am talking about a team player who we can rely on ,who doesn’t drop our level to a point where he is detrimental to the team.
Perisic was just an example,not necessarily who i’d be happy with as i’m sure his wage bill would be quite high.I also didn’t say success,i said he worked out well.1 goal,8 assists in 23 starts and no time out injured for a 2nd/3rd choice midfielder is probably better than anything we’ve had for the past couple of years until Jones,s return.

Did they or did someone say Soton had.

Jason Wilcox did

I’ve got much belief in these people as Fabrizo Romano to be honest.

MacAllister
Big Dom
Endo
Gravenberch

6 of our 8 midfielders under the age of 24. A good rebuild all things considered.

5 Likes

€172.00m, there goes our Net Spend Trophy :innocent:

2 Likes

The average age of those six is 21

2 Likes

Going forward, we’ve gone from one of the dullest midfields in the league to one of the most exciting.

The attacking threat posed by Dom, Mac, Ryan, Curtis, Harvey and Thiago (if he’s ever available) is potentially frightening. It’s the defensive side of the midfield that concerns many, but I believe that Endo is going to surprise all the naysayers (he could turn out to be the bargain of the summer) and that Bajcetic will pick up where he left off once he returns.

Mac and Thiago can also play a deeper role if required, so I would say that the midfield has, overall, gone from a weakness to a strength.

8 Likes

Curtis has played in a deeper role for Liverpool and England U21.

4 Likes

In all honesty, if someone had offered our midfield would become like so a day after last season ended, his arm would have been chewed away to the shoulder. It’s only the twists and turns of the transfer window that has left some feeling short changed.

Slow, plodding, old and injured - gone.
Fast, energetic, talented and young - In.

Endo and Thiago perhaps the only two caveats for the above but in all honestly, I rather have them in the squad than Fabinho and Henderson.

7 Likes

Yesterday Klopp said we have the players to play different formations but Ryan’s arrival cements the 4-3-3 even more imo.

Think this limits the minutes for Jones and Elliott even more.

We’re a fit Thiago away from having the strongest midfield in the league. This is including the fact that we don’t have our target DM (Caicedo / Lavia)

I don’t think he’s an impediment to Jones. He’s more likely to start as a deeper midfielder. Mac’s got that left sided CM role ready with Jones as his backup. Elliot is a backup to Dominik.

We are probably going to go with 3 #8 box-box midfielders right now as our strongest lineup.

And considering the matches we play , It’s not fair to describe Jones as being a backup.

Stefan Bajcetic 18: 19 games, 931 mins, one goal
Harvey Elliott 20: 69 games, 3476 mins, six goals & four assists
Ryan Gravenberch 21: 137 games, 8915 mins, 13 goals & 14 assists (Ajax & Bayern)
Curtis Jones 22: 98 games, 5297 mins, 11 goals & 11 assists
Dominik Szoboszlai 22: 174 games, 11124 mins, 46 goals & 56 assists (Salzburg & Leipzig)
Alexis Mac Allister 24: 112 games, 7529 mins, 20 goals & nine assists (Brighton)
Wataru Endo 30: 133 games, 11723 mins, 15 goals & 12 assists (Stuttgart)

It’s not just a bunch of young talented players, most of them already have considerable competitive games too.

8 Likes

right after the international break the Wednesday/Thursday-Saturday/Sunday schedule starts, there will be more than enough playing minutes for everybody.

2 Likes

That’s obviously not real. The other lads would have been carrying Naby and Ox if it were.

2 Likes

Midfield set for at least 7/8 years :+1:

Next summer, 2 CBs and a LB. Sell Mo for 100m and get a young replacement.

The futures bright…the futures RED

Midfield rebuild well and truly complete then, if you don’t ask you don’t get eh? :sunglasses:

All in all very satisfied with what we’ve done even if there were a few hiccups along the way.

It’s time to fucking rock ‘n’ rolla baby.

2 Likes

Bajcetic will be captain by then.