The Central Midfield Thread

I wasn’t expecting as much as we’ve done, but then I wasn’t expecting Hendo and Fab to be leaving.

Henderson for Mac
Fab for Endo
Keita/Ox for Dom
Milner for Gravenberch

We have may have lost that experience, but we’ve brought in a World Cup winner and a couple of international captains.

No matter what combination we play, if you think back to when Fab, Henderson and Milner were the starting midfield, with very little energy and creativity, I don’t know how you couldn’t be a little excited by these players.

7 Likes

I do agree I think the CM has been vastly improved and their energy will help the defence as well.

Yes I would have liked a defender but generally and the prices paid and recouped I think we’ve done well this window in this area especially as some numpties claim we only got one of our main targets in Maca.

Last week showed how good they played with the backs to the wall, that second half was one of our best in some time and if I’m honest I doubt it happens with last years CM.

9 Likes

Don’t see the midfield rebuild complete at all. Still need a top quality number 6. Thiago will likely move on. Gravenberch let’s see how he performs. Hopefully well.

Way I see it is they couldn’t get the 6 they wanted so got Endo has a short term stop gap and Gravenberch as the opportunity was there.

Next summer we know Thiago is off so we’ll look at what options might be available for the 6 or if Endo has done a good job we hold off a bit longer.

It’s not perfect but then I also don’t think we need a dedicated 6 for every game. We just need a better balance and energy in the middle. We’ve added the latter, time for Klopp to sort the former.

3 Likes

Endo buys us time to see how Bajcetic develops while keeping an eye on the likes of Trinidade and Doucoure.

7 Likes

Can, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Ox, Keita, Milner, Henderson, Fabinho

Might have forgot someone?!

Now we have

Endo, Mac Allister, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch, Jones, Elliott, Bajcetic

First and foremost I hope we will be more lucky with injuries in midfield than we’ve been in the past.

The old guard worked very good for most of the time - as a unit that was.

Individually - lack of goal threat. Lack of creativity. Lack of potential and arguably a lack of talent.

How do we feel about our current midfield in comparison?

It’s better.

7 Likes

the end GIF

2 Likes

We still have your good friend Thiago … :sunglasses:

1 Like

it looks like Fab is carrying Ox. But agree that Nabby would not be able to walk out the gates without some support and a walking aid

I like our new midfield. It’s boss.

6 Likes

Another early kickoff after international break.

Think I would go

Endo
Szoboszlai jones

vs Everton

and

Mac Allister
Elliott Gravenberch

vs Toulouse

1 Like

Haven’t you got the memo? Endo and Elliott are both shit.

One was a panic buy and the other a moneyball signing.

Apparently.

2 Likes

Won’t Jones still be banned?

1 Like

You’re right.

At least Diogo will be back.

Then I would go with

Endo
Szoboszlai Gravenberch

1 Like

I would probably play the same trio.

It’s all about the blend. MacAllister is a better player than Endo, but a better 6? In the hurly burly of the Prem? Brighton were snapping at Mac and Everton will be doing the same, and he will have no time to play.

It’s quite possible that he continues there and grows into a phenomenal number 6, but it does feel a bit too experimental to me, while Premier League points are up for grabs.

So for Everton I’d be happy with:

Endo
Szobo MacAllister

or Gravenberch for MacAllister.

But it feels like it needs a solid base, and Endo is a defensive midfielder.

The concern is the South Americans coming back from international duty. We saw what happened with Macca last time. Seems very doubtful he’ll start.
Looks like we have no choice but to play Endo. Let’s hope he’s ready for a scrap.

I think we should start with 11 players, even Everton
could beat us with 3 and no goalkeeper.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused about our midfield blend. We have quality, no doubt, but not the best balance. We have exactly one 6 and a bunch of 8’s that will be competing with each other. More accurately, Szobs is a nailed on starter for the right sided #8, so that leaves a bunch of players competing for the other 8 slot….Mac, Jones, Gravenberch, Thiago. Elliot a clear back up for Szobs on the right. Too many left sided #8’s IMHO. We need a stud 6 and get rid of a midfielder. Maybe Andre for Thiago?

2 Likes

I think we will move for Andre in January, and will move on Thiago if possible or say goodbye in the summer (he’s class, but always injured).

That would give us:

• Trinidade and Bajcetic as no. 6
  • Mac, Szoboszlai, Jones, Gravenberch as no. 8
  • Endo as a Milner style holding player to help see out games
  • Elliott as more of a 10 to use when when we need to be more attacking. Also as a Salah deputy if needed (he’s obviously playing RW for AFCON)

Long term and with coaching I think Klopp wants his midfielders to be multifunctional so we could see Mac continuing to do but at 6, along with Jones and Gravenberch.