The Central Midfield Thread

Early days, but from what I’ve seen, we will probably still need a serious #6 player in one of the next windows. You imagine this team right now with a better CB (and another versatile defender in backup) and a serious #6 player, we could be challenging for the league.

Endo’s level so far doesn’t fill me with enough confidence that he currently starts in that role instead of Mac. We’ll see if Endo can improve with a bit of time.

Mac, on the other hand, has been relatively good, but in almost all games you see little struggles he has in that role. Long term, I still think the best combination will be to have Mac as the slightly more deeper and controlling LCM and Szoboszlai as the slightly more higher and dynamic RCM.

It’s not Mac’s best position so far, what happens in the future we’ll see. Klopp still goes on about how he can absolutely play it long term, if the team is compact enough, pressing well, defending well. Which is not always the case, even when we’re a top team, so…

Trent coming inside more now when he’s fit and perhaps us going double pivot in some games (depending on players available, form, opponent and stuff) might also help.

Other than that, yeah, I definitely don’t see Thiago staying beyond next summer (just as I hope this is also Matip’s last season with us).

I just don’t see MacA as a #6, would rather see Gravenberch given a chance there to see if he has the nous. Haven’t seen enough of Endo, at all. seems to wander around the pitch a bit when he does get a chance though, and the #6 role requires paramount positioning and head on a swivel.

Strange situation.

Alexis will be our 2nd or 3rd best #8 rightaway but we have enough options in that area right now.

I think Klopp will be more comfortable to start Endo once Bajcetic is fully fit. Until than we are a bit short in DM.

On Andre
I don’t know the player but a kid from brasil would surely need time to adapt.
Personally I would prefer a more physical (taller, bigger, stronger) option.

from what I have seen of Gravenberch so far, I think he’s made for it. but who knows if that’ll be the way Klopp sees it.

Our new style of play requires a 6 that not only controls how we play but moves us forward, the time of having a DM like Fab has gone.

Alexis has all the tools on the ball, has tenacity off it but lacks the pace in transition to recover, if Andrade offers what Alexis does and has more pace then I welcome him.

As mentioned by a few, we will offer chances to teams that press high with how we are playing, but i much much much prefer this style to what we offered last season.

Even after we conceded the 1st goal against Brighton, we still played balls vertically and to feet and some were a little dicey but the reward is sometimes worth the risk as we are at times cutting teams open with our quick interplay and passing through the middle.

Also by playing centrally, it then opens up the space wide for both Mo and Diaz, for quick switches or the longer ball from Virg. With how we are playing in possession we have more strings to our bow in how we can attack.

Endo is half the player of what we should be expecting of a no. 6 in our side because he is wearing no. 3.

1 Like

Your “jokes” are as good as your “art” :wink:

Oh please, stop with your overflowing compliments

Fully deserved my friend, there is certainly no difference in quality between the two.

With respect, I don’t think I can flog @gasband’s jokes for half a million quid. The horse eouvre on the other hand…

I have earned enough from my art to now make my jokes open source in my pursuit of philanthropy

2 Likes

Trent it is then. He will be 11x the player needed in the number 6 role :joy:

3 Likes

Loving our midfield options at the moment.

Mac, Sobs Curtis, Gravenberch, Elliott, Endo. Elliott has done well off the bench, that’s where I’d have him for now. Gravenberch finding his feet. Had a good game against the bitters.

1 Like

My turn to agree with you, what is the World coming to :kissing_heart:

Season 9 Wow GIF by The Office

now kiss GIF

I always felt the best Kevin food-related gif was when he spilt his chili…

those pesky fucking handles, ya know

Love how amazingly the midfield transformation has been. There’s no way replacing your entire midfield should have been this smooth. And it’s a really good mix of players we have now each bringing something different. This transformation was needed a few years back and would have been with the likes of Keita and Ox, but it was not meant to be.

Absolutely love Szoboszlai btw. He’s getting better game after game. It’s not just his ability with the ball but his overall game intelligence is next level. Mac Alisster has been equally impressive. The way he opens up defenses and helps with those counter attacks is so brilliant. Together our pressing, positioning, control throughout the game has been notches up now.

I personally love signings like Szoboszlai more than the likes of Caicedo. Let’s hope we are luckier with injuries this season and the season is already is resembling the one couple of seasons back than the previous one.

6 Likes

Yep Szoboszlai and Mac Allister are our main midfielders with Gravenberch and Jones fighting for the third spot.

In the meantime we still have Thiago and Stefan Bajcetic waiting in the wings …