The Central Midfield Thread

My thoughts are Gravenberch and Mac Allister are Slot’s first choice for the double pivot. Endo and Jones backing up.

We know that Slot doesn’t think Endo can play the way he wants his deep midfield to work, and he looked really shocking in the pre-season games, so I would keep Bajcetic (who looks tailor made for Slot) and sell Endo, knowing you can also drop Szoboszlai deeper if necessary. Or use Trent there, to get Bradley time at RB.

First choice: Grav and Mac

Back up: Baj and Jones

Emergency: Dom and Trent

Or alternatively, keep Endo because why not. You never know when we might need a body.

I wouldn’t be playing Elliott as a deep midfielder. I think it’s him and Szoboszlai for that advanced position.

I’m not convinced that Endo will be sold.

Whilst not our best midfielder, he is a solid and reliable type that you know you will always get a consistant 7 out of 10 from him, which, as a back up/squad option is perfect. Plus he comes across as the sort of character that won’t rock the boat or make a fuss if he doesn’t play every week.

4 Likes

If we don’t sign any other midfielder, and if Bajcetic goes out on loan, I would keep Endo. He might not play much, but we need some insurance.

1 Like

I think that is pretty much the noise that came out from the club this summer when links to Endo first emerged and then the bid for Zubimendi.

This is understandable but this is a key position in a side that is notorious for being injury-prone - and to rely on a backup that is not suited for Slot’s kind of football might not be the smartest thing to do. Unfortunately, with Bajčetić’s long-term injury and necessity to play regularly and prove his fitness and credentials elsewhere, likely on loan, I’m afraid that we don’t have other option but to keep Endo for now.

Again, posters act as if Slot has reinvented football and Endo plays Volleyball.

He’s not limited to his defensive abilities.

Expecting him to surprise many people when he gets the chance.

4 Likes

Not sure why it would be a surprise given what he’s already shown last season.

3 Likes

It’d be a surprise because a lot of people appear to have already written him off.

4 Likes

It’s a lot less of a physical league and you play 4 fewer league games, 1 less cup competition etc but looking at the minutes the Feyenoord players played last season, let’s take the midfield for instance…Arne kept Timber (31/34 league starts) and Wieffer (29/34 league starts) in that double pivot more or less all season long & then it was most Stengs playing that advanced midfield role (26 starts in 29/34).

So I reckon a similiar pattern could play out if Grav/Mac both remain healthy.

1 Like