The Central Midfield Thread

They’d mesh perfectly in CM together. Especially with someone like Camavinga. Jones is an attacking mid with as much defensive nous as some DMs. Bellingham is a great CM already who can play as a DM, AM or CM. Camavinga is a DM with the ball playing capabilities of a good, technical CM. If we could somehow have that CM trio in 4/5 years from now it’d be wonderful!

A Bellingham - Camavinga - Jones trio is a fun prospect.

Right now, our midfield is Jones, Fabinhon and a bunch of 30-plus-year-old players. So, we have room for both Camavinga and Bellingham, especially when Wijnaldum leaves.

1 Like

Bellingham and Camavinga have price tags around £80mil each… Need to get realistic about who we can sign.

If we only had to buy a midfielder this summer, I’d be yes lets go all in for one of those… But we need a Forward and a Center Back and a Midfielder… That cuts down our budget.

1 Like

1 that’s why I said I’d like to see that midfield in a few years.

2 no way they can hold out for that on Camavinga with only 12 months left on his deal. Good write ups are suggestive they’re looking for around €45m kind of territory.

Camavinga now to replace Wijnaldum, Bellingham in a season or two when his contract has ran down a bit and Milner has gone/retired and Henderson is slowing down.

1 Like

I thought Canavinga had a release of around 40m? I’m probably getting confused with someone else.

No one has a clue. Skim reports of supposed interest and you’ll find anything between 40 million to 80 Euros cited as what ti would take for Renne to sell.

From what I have seen of Bellingham, which isn’t much, he appears taller, faster and better in the tackle, Curtis is a better dribbler

1 Like

If its that level he’d be on my list for sure, my first choice is Bissouma though. He’s a couple of years ahead.

1 Like

Im a little less sure of Canavinga than I am Bellingham. One, the German league is better and in the CL games Ive seen him in he’s been mustard. But I think there is also something demonstrable about your talent to have already made a move like he has and thrived than someone like Camavinga who is still at the only club he’s ever known.

1 Like

Aye. 100% what I said. Congrats.

1 Like

No need for the sarcasm. However, you did say that you rate Bellingham above Camavinga on the basis that the former has moved clubs and the latter hasn’t.

It’s just that staying at one club doesn’t mean that a player lacks either ambition or ability.

1 Like

OTOH, I rate Bellingham above because Bellingham is one year younger but already a regular starter in a better club than Rennes. He also has Champions League experience.

They are from top clubs, not Rennes, ok?

Finally, if Ox goes (very likely), then he is going to be replaced by a home-grown player. Bellingham fits the criteria.

Don’t think there’s any chance of Bellingham being made available to buy for at least a season or two. Camavinga is going somewhere this summer.

The Bissouma shout confuses me. He might become a very good player but he’s going to be 25, was in the same league as Camavinga is till he was 22 and it was Brighton that snapped him up. Camavinga is 18 and being chased by clubs like us, United, Bayern and Real Madrid. Don’t get me wrong Bissouma may become a very good option at a big club but I don’t think he’s anywhere near Camavinga when it comes to what they could potentially achieve in this sport.

Not really. European squad rules are the more strict with maximum of 25 places for senior players or under 21s at your club for less than 2 seasons. 8 of those places can only be filled with homegrown players and 4 of those can only be filled with club developed ones. I’d think Kelleher, Gomez and Alexander-Arnold would be 3 of them and if we can move on Shaqiri and Ox then it might be worth keeping Wilson for a year as squad depth or possibly even Ojo which would fill the 4th spot. The 4 homegrown would include Henderson and Milner but we could sign a 3rd choice Keeper who lists as home grown, Davies and/or Phillips could still be here, or Tosin Abarabioyo could be one of the CBs we buy or we could even sign Sancho. But whatever happens there I doubt we go with 17 senior foreign developed players, probably around 14 so there’s going to be room.

Yeah tbh I’ve seen little of Bellingham based on CL highlights and some before he went to Dortmund (we were interested I believe). Even less of Camavinga. They undoutably have potential, even huge ceilings I’m sure, but again they aren’t finished products, nor proven in the Premiership (a pretty big jump from France/Germany).

My view on a replacement for Gini is that you are taking one of your robust players, who plays a staggering amount of minutes and despite a dip in form since Christmas is generally a very solid player… You can’t do that with a young lad who needs 6 months to get to grips with so many factors… So we have to replace him with someone who can hit the ground pretty quickly and I would hope to Fowler we don’t bank on Keita or Oxlade filling that role…

I think this is why I keep coming back to Bissouma, he ticks so many boxes and this season he really has stepped up and has pretty much been the outstanding player (not just midfielder) in several games against the top 6, including against us.

I like Rice as well, again like Bissouma he’s grown this season and seems a proper down to earth guy as well, he is constantly talking up Hendo in the media so I think he’d jump at the chance to play and learn next to him… Problem is price, probably double the cost of Bissouma and they have Europe next season so it will take a stonking bid.

What I like about Bissouma, in contrast to Camavinga, is that he has shown he can cut it in the premier league. Camavinga might have a higher ceiling if he fulfills his potential, but it’s still a big jump from Rennes to Liverpool.

It’s like how people said we should have got Mane from Salzburg before he went to Southampton. Maybe, but he might have also needed that intermediate step.

I’d be happy to get either, and whatever we do I’m always happy to trust the recruitment lads.

1 Like

Just because Bissouma and Rice are in the PL doesn’t mean they are guaranteed to take less time than Camavinga or Bellingham to get up to speed. Ox and Robertson both took awhile to bring up to speed. Salah and Alisson both started playing from day 1. It’s more dependant on how well Klopp decides the player is going to mesh with our tactics. Bellingham and Camavinga both play in ways that match how our number 8s play reasonably well. Rice plays in a completely alien system. Bissouma would take some time to change to the set up too. He plays in a CM duo with Lallana with AMs in front.

A 18 year old or a proven PL player that’s a easy choice for me.