The Central Midfield Thread

It just doesn’t work like that in France. Release is negociated principally between club and player agents when the player (through his agents) gives notice he doesn’t wish to ‘resign’ his contract.

1 Like

This Bissouma vs Camavinga talk is like if we took ourselves back in time to 2006 and had a conversation about how our deal for Bellamy that Summer was better than if we’d had a chance to bring in this young Lio Messi lad, you know Prem proven is better than a young kid after all. Nothing wrong with Bellamy/Bissouma but those turning their noses up at Camavinga are going to end up looking stupid in the future. He is potentially going to be one of the best in his position for years.

1 Like

For next season to replace Gini it has to be Bissouma maybe Camavinga will be a better player in the future but we need one next season.

1 Like

Camavinga may well adapt straight away and be better from day 1. Bissouma may well struggle to adapt to a completely different set up at LFC than the one he’s used to at Brighton. There’s no guarantee mate.

No it’s not… You have a difference of opinion, fine… Let’s not let this go into another round of hyperbole after hyperbole statement eh? You speak as someone whose watched at least 10 games of Rennes, which is utter rubbish.

Also our scouting and coaching set up is light years from 2006… So I’ll trust them to make the right call when given the options available.

p.s. Not one person on this forum yet has said Camavinga couldn’t go on to be a top class player. So again, stop with the hyperbole.

1 Like

I watched part of a game where Camavinga played for France, that was enough. :wink:
Naturally I avoid watching Rennes. :rofl:

I agree that Bissouma doesn’t have to be the first or the only option. We’ve just heard that we like him and Renato Sanches was also mentioned here and there.

But why are we so sure that we would go this summer for a Bellingham or Camavinga and that they’d pick us? Especially in a year like this, after the season we’re likely to have, etc.

Rice is a whole different story, he can “only” play the #6 role in midfield and I don’t think we’re buying that type of player. I think we want a dynamic hard worker who can pass the ball simple and well enough.

1 Like

Well if you’ve seen that much you must be an expert… I agree he looks a proper talent, but Real are sniffing around and I’d expect he’d love to play under Zidane and with the likes of Modrid (35), Kroos (31) you’d expect him to be given a lovely pathway to 1st team football etc.

1 Like

I think when we see talent we can all appreciate it.
Anyway what’s happened to Neves noone talking about him anymore? :cry:
As for expert I think all on here know where I’m from now, I only watch LFC and France (as it’s on the TV) very occassionally.

1 Like

Injured for the season

1 Like

Fuck sake. No I didn’t and I didn’t question Camavinga’s ambition for not moving.

1 Like

So why raise it at all? :thinking:

1 Like

I think Limie was saying it demonstrable adaptability.

Bellingham has upped sticks from the UK to play in Germany and established himself in a really good team.

Camavinga has only so far played for Rennes.

Not saying that Cama can’t adapt. Just Bellingham already has, and has proven he can.

I think I will elorborate on this. Release clauses are not permitted in France.
A player signs what we call a revolving contract. If the player ‘wishes’ to leave he has to give 1 months notice to the club he wishes to be ‘released’. The club then sets his ‘release’ value (the club also has the right to give 1 months notice (before the date of his contract ‘renewall’) to a player which is how Marseille have worked for some time).
This means a club or a players agents can give an indication of the value they put on ‘their’ player however it is not set in stone. Of course once this value has been set there can be negociation, Fekir being the example we all know).

Fair enough. It just seemed worded a bit more strongly than that to me. Still, I was half asleep at the time. :grimacing:

1 Like

And the award for the biggest strawman argument goes to…

By your own “logic” we should have bought the exciting and highly tipped Renato Sanches in 2016/17 instead of Gini Wijnaldum. You know, hyped-up foreign kid versus the already Premier League proven player. Dead easy to cherry pick examples like this to try and make a point but it completely detracts from the actual discussion. Ironic somewhat that Sanches may be the player to actually now replace Gini but he’s needed to take a step back in his career to get back on track after the move to the big club came too soon for him to handle.

The reality is, neither of these players is a machine. We can’t know who will adapt best or improve more. Plenty of players who were massively rated at 17 fail to live up to their potential because “ability ceilings” are just a construct of our mind. We assume all young players will get better with age and that isn’t the case. Equally, we’ve seen time and again that moving between clubs in the same league is no guarantee of it being a more successful transfer either.

No one will win this argument because we’ll not buy both to see who actually ends up being the better option. It basically boils down to what people are essentially seeing as a safer bet versus someone who could be a world-class talent in a couple years. But neither of those things seem to speak to their actual talent and ability.

6 Likes

We’re talking about two players whose combined age is less than mine, who between them have only a small amount of top level experience more than you or I do, yet would cost around 150 million quid to land both of them this summer. There are big risks associated with either of them. The more environments in which a payer at that stage of development has demonstrated their talent the more reason you have to be confident that they’d justify the large transfer fee.

It’s not a knock on Camvainga. I am not questioning the ambition of an 18 year old who has not yet had the opportunity to move to a bigger club. I’m just simply musing about risk mitigation. It has absolutely nothing to do with how you’d judge a player like Maldini who played his entire career at an elite club demonstrating his credentials at the highest of levels of competitions over many years.

2 Likes

There’s a reason these kids are playing for clubs that are 7th in the league rather than clubs at the top.

Progression for footballers is rarely linear. The footballers who are doing it at 24/25 years old are a safer bet due to the fact they’ve matured and would have already recovered from numerous set backs in their career. You can get too caught up in the idea that a player at 18 is only going to improve enormously and turn into the world’s best (#GENERATIONAL) but it quite often doesn’t happen that way.

Liverpool should not be a club who is gambling all their hopes on 17 and 18 year olds. Bissouma is a much safer shout for me, almost every time I watch Brighton play they win the midfield battle and he is the primary reason why. There’s every chance he can go on to improve still with a move here. He’d also be much cheaper too and allow us to strengthen elsewhere. Not the only option of course, I’m sure there’s others of a similar profile that I can’t think of right now (Laimer if he hadn’t be crocked all season).

1 Like

Why do people assume Bissouma would be cheaper? Premier League to Premier League has always been the most expensive market. He’s got two years left on his deal (quite the peak situation) and as well as us being linked there’s the likes of United, Real and Leicester apparently, seen £50m quoted;

https://www.brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/yves-bissouma-next-club-odds-liverpool-arsenal-and-man-united-set-for-ps50m-summer-scrap-after-agent-transfer-claim-3201030

1 Like

And I’m not saying Bissouma would be a bad choice (it looks like it could be good business and he could be a good pick up) or that Camavinga is a player we can land if we try. But I want us to try I believe he’ll end up being a special player and is already a good one. I just find assumptions that Camavinga would need to adapt and take time but Bissouma would be fine from day 1 as really strange. Bissouma doesn’t play in a tactical set up anything like we do. Completely different culture and pressure at the two clubs involved. Opposition don’t act to them like they do to us either. Will be a learning curve for both players. There’s no guarantees if either will cope or struggle. I don’t think either are a safe bet but both would be good odds of working out here. I think the perception that a player is older and/or already in a specific league therefore safer is a false one personally.