The Central Midfield Thread

4th right now.

I rate Jones but at the same time can understand peoples frustrations. His style comes across very relaxed and he can hold onto the ball longer than he should and get caught out. However, that could be said for a lot of players including Salah and Trent, two of our most important players.
I have said it before, I believe his ideal position falls between the two roles we want him to play so it is a case of him maturing/adapting.
He is definitely a skilled player and certainly at his age should not be receiving some of the criticism levelled at him.

That’s literally my only issue with him, and unfortunately it hasn’t improved over the past 3 years or the improvement is so negligible that you cant notice.

1 Like

The best signing we could have made! My prefered option for more minutes.

So excited by a Carvalho/Jones - Bajcetic - Elliot/Bellingham midfield in the next few years.

2 Likes

Midfielder signed. End thread.

2 Likes

Completely disagree. Look at last season. Gomez barely got a sniff in at centre-back, and we did just fine with 3. In that scenario, it would have been Fabinho filling in, with Henderson dropping into his position. The plan was solid.

We wouldn’t have had this problem if the gamble wasn’t taken on Ox. Love him but in hindsight , spending 40m on an injury prone player was the biggest failing of Klopp’s transfers.

1 Like

Err
 last season, Konaté had joined us, and we had four senior centre backs available, no?

Edit: sorry, understand now what you meant. Yeah, but last season was a rather good time regarding injuries. Matip went unexpectedly unscathed through almost the whole season, and VVD had fortunately no relapse.

Gomez on the other hand had some occasional problems again, so it was fortunate that we had Konaté to rotate with Matip, which is probably the explanation why Matip was able to last throughout the season.

I think that was the plan. Matip actually was injured already going into 2020-21, so he finally had time to recover properly. Gomez on the other hand, I think his recovery was planned to build him up again, so he was never going to feature that much last season barring some major incident. If we’ve done with him what we’ve managed with Matip then it can only be good.

I’m really okay with the CB situation if we do keep Phillips and VDB for use in league and Fa cup and the odd premier league / cl matches.

The CM is the more pressing concern.

Thiago and Keita haven’t the best injury records and we end up overusing Henderson and relying more on Milner (who despite his standards is probably in his last year as a footballer for a top side).

We do have numbers in Elliot , Jones , Carvalho but you can’t expect two of them to feature in one match this early in their season

I’ve written off Ox as it is this season. If we are looking at numbers , we have a surplus 
 but dig deeper down and it gets problematic.

It’s my opinion that Klopp would benefit from having an added man on the midfield now rather than trying to find him in the winter transfer window. But that person should be one who’s going to be a replacement for Ox etc and not someone who should impede the next big target for midfield

1 Like

I do so really wish we could have retained chrivella. I can see him playing the deeper midfield general role as an understudy to Thiago against lesser opposition

All the more signs that I see Klopp shifting to a 4-2-3-1 with a #10 and 2 #6 as even his starting preferred formation

We’ve got the likes of Firmino , Carvalho and at a stretch even Keita who can play a #10. Not sure Elliot can play centrally though but maybe Jones can

4th choice what? Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Henderson, Elliott and Carvalho are all fit and will play in midfield before Bajcetic gets a chance.

Unless you mean 4th choice DM
 in which case that seems about right, no? Fabinho, Henderson, Milner and Bajcetic is quite a lot of options to play the 6.

Thiago would come in a #6 as well. Bajcetic is 5th choice at best

1 Like

Tielemans available for 25m, come on Klopp

We don’t need another midfielder right now, if push comes to shove TAA can play midfield and Firmino started out as a false midfielder as he played in Germany. No worries.

1 Like

That was 7 years ago. And in the Bundesliga.

He can’t do it at PL level of pace and physicality

1 Like

Comes across as a bit of a twat to me. Also he is only about 5’9”

1 Like

And doesn’t cover that much ground

2 Likes

He’s available for a reason.

3 Likes