The Central Midfield Thread

On a public forum, the horror!

Also note, the squad is still too big. Itā€™s 27 players before you even start considering kids like Bejcetic.

I have felt for a couple of years that we were suffering from an inability to move on fringe players and I think the effect of that is underappreciated. Klopp has responded either by being a good company man, or quite possibly, buying his own hype that he can turn water into wine. The result is weā€™ve been forced to keep marginal players, and then elected to keep other marginal players as cover for them just in case. And weā€™ve ended up with a bloated squad without enough room to add the needed freshness to it.

The ruthless thing would have been to demand one young dynamic CM expected to play the majority of games and then deal with whatever fall out from whatever then needs to happen with Ox and Naby, but itā€™s uncertain why that didnt happen. Money from FSG? Ward trying too hard to make his own mark and not get caught failing to get fees? Klopp being too willing to go again with the same crew.? Probably a combination of all of the above. I think one of the challenges in a well run organization is sometimes you can make bad decisions because everyone has faith in everyone else to do their bit even if you dont like it. It feels a bit like that, but if so Id say the bulk of the blame lies with Klopp. This is a club that seemingly can be pushed by a strong conviction from him. Had he 1) felt he needed the turn over, and 2) made that clear, I have no doubt the club would have supported it. As it is, this season already has a very 80-81 vibe.

7 Likes

Iā€™d say the two are very closely correlated.

2 Likes

Blithely missing the point.
As usual.

Do educate me, since youā€™re so enlightened?

Ok lads we have enough to worry about without turning on each otherā€¦please

2 Likes

His last season with us his stats plummeted. As did the stats on the effectiveness of our midfield in general. Lots of extenuating circumstances for that, but the eye test was also showing that gini, while still ever present, was covering a lot less ground than normal and having a lot less impact on games, and our midfield was as a result a loit easier to play against. His complete lack of impact at PSG again has lots of extenuating circumstances, but it is also reflective of a player who just was a step off the relentless beast he had been at his best with us. Heā€™s 31 now and has been playing professionally since he was 16. It happens.

2 Likes

Keeping Milner is 100% the right call, where would we be atm without him? Having to play him all the time, and for an entire game, is not why he is here. If you looking for a wrong call, itā€™s would be to look at the reliance on Keita and Ox. One you canā€™t sell, one you could maybe at a huge loss, either way in hindsight they should have been replaced. Getting reliable minutes from just those two, is on a wing and a prayer. Then you also know that Hendo and Thiago are going to miss quite a few games. Yes, bad planning, but using Milner as part of a scapegoat is misdirected.

4 Likes

My point about Milner was linked to the Ox and Keita one. Having Milner as third choice behind those two was a terrible mistake, heā€™s played 7 games half of them as a starter. A year too far.

1 Like

I really donā€™t think thatā€™s their job, to tell Jurgen.

heā€™s the manager. They hired him to run the first team and manage the players. he should be telling them what he needs, and they make the decision if they want to outlay the funds.

we have a bloated midfield of crocked players. whether they are on the pitch or not, they collect their wages. Which is probably whatā€™s causing us so many problems, we have too much salary tied up in players who are not available.

Until the situation is rectified by Jurgen (who was the manager who purchased said players), then itā€™s likely heā€™s not able to buy any replacements. Heā€™ll have to make do with what he has.

No. CLUB WAGE BILL HIGHEST PAID PLAYER
1 Manchester City Ā£220m K. De Bruyne (Ā£320,000)
2 Manchester United Ā£205.4m D. Dea Gea (Ā£300,000)
3 Liverpool Ā£190m M. Salah (Ā£260,000)
4 Chelsea Ā£186.7m Timo Werner (Ā£240,000)
5 Arsenal Ā£175m P.E Aubamyang (Ā£320,000)
6 Tottenham Ā£151.5m Harry Kane (Ā£260,000)
7 Everton Ā£114m James Rodriguez (Ā£160,000)
8 Leicester City Ā£86.2m Jamie Vardy (Ā£200,000)
9 West Ham Ā£79.8m Andriy Yarmolenko (Ā£115,000)
11 Wolverhampton Ā£75.9m Jose Moutinho (Ā£100,000)
10 Southampton Ā£75.9m Danny Ings (Ā£75,000)

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1564848392932564993?s=20&t=CYR829Zl1LXrbpTeufYGTQ

1 Like

Apparently not, according to @Limiescouse

Managers now just have to work with whatever players are forced upon them by the owners.

thatā€™s an awfully broad brush to paint every club in the league with.

It sure is.

We have to remember Klopp pushed for Hendo and Milner to sign new contracts, he pushed for Gini to re-sign etc. As Mascott has said, sometimes most of the blame for an aging and injury prone midfield is at his feet.

Fucking behave.

Why the fuck should I?

Put your apes away children.

Loyalty to the players who have worked so hard for the success, I cannot blame him for that.

However

the Oxlade-Chamberlain extension in 2019 was a poor decision. this was AFTER his knee blew up vs Napoli.

Gini left, not a bad thing
OxCham and Milner leave at end of this season

opens up possibilities for some new incomings next summer.

on the Bosman list:

3 Likes

Wasnā€™t it just a one year extension to show faith in him after the injury, and to compensate for his lost year? I seem to remember something like that.

possible that during that time, Klopp saw him as a core player and didnā€™t want to lose him and Gini during the same window?