The Central Midfield Thread

What Klopp used to do one or two times when we were in a crisis was go to 4-2-3-1.

Especially in that mid-period in 17/18, after the heavy Spurs loss at Wembley 4-1. We flipped it, reset ourselves, found new balance and went on a good run.

We moved Salah up top ahead of Bobby and had mainly Coutinho off the left and Chamberlain off the right. Mane was away.

I’m not a believer that a change of formation necessarily means much, we have to go back to our basics regardless of the formation.

But just thinking about it, perhaps it would enable us to move Elliott from the central part of the pitch to the right side. Not to play in the way Salah does, but to be more of an attacking player, but someone who obviously still helps our midfield. Klopp calls that formation 4-4-1-1, in that formation it’s only natural that he expects the two wide players to be big midfield helpers.

At double-pivot in midfield we’d still have Thiago at LCM, but maybe sometimes go without Fabinho, Hendo instead. 2 of that 3.

Let’s see if Klopp even does it or not, like I said it’s not principal, but I’m just thinking about what our starting XI would look like with that system.

2 Likes

Its going to be strange next year if we sign Jude, he will have just turned 20, so we will have to change the range from 20 to …

And we will easily challenge for the PL and CL with this squad, the form will improve significantly because we are well, well below our standards.

Tielemans, Kante, Douglas Luiz, Laimer and Gündogan all available on a free next season.

Yeah, Bellingham is younger than someone like Jones, but will have had very possibly 3 full seasons at Dortmund. Different experience, a regular starter, a more important player, etc. We’d probably look at him already in that age sort of in between, but with a lot of time still ahead. I think he’s lined up as sort of a Hendo replacement long term. Learn from him for the few years they will/might be together at the club. Similar position, similar potential in terms of being a leader, possibly give us a decade or so of service, etc.

2 Likes

Laimer is the only one of that five that I think would be even remotely suitable in terms of coming here. Kante other than his inevitable two world class performances against us has had his legs ran off him over the past five years and seems to be spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch nowadays. Luiz and Tielemens stylistically don’t really fit and generally aren’t good enough, Gundogan will surely sign a new deal or get a massive pay day somewhere else.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s going to be a cheap way of refreshing the midfield next summer.

2 Likes

Doctor Who Reaction GIF

1 Like

Just having a look at the list now (although it doesn’t state which clubs have the option of an extra years renewal) and it also includes Jorginho, Lemar, Asencio, Laimer & Aouar

1 Like

If it was his preference to go there, we’ve not missed much, really.

So here is my perspective on our midfield situation. Elliott is clearly a gifted player….it is clear to see when he plays. I’m just not sure he’s suited to playing on the same side as Mo and Trent. His defensive metrics are not good and that is causing major issues to my eyes. Mo doesn’t do as much defensively as our other wide forwards do. We all know that Trent bombs forward at every opportunity, leaving space in behind for a counter attack (Napoli Exhibit A). I feel we really need a defensively and positionally astute right sided midfielder to provide the required coverage. Those 3 playing on the same side is causing us a lot of problems. Say what you want about Hendo, he offers much more in this area. Of course, he isn’t available and we don’t have many options at this point, but you catch my drift.

Maybe a bigger question is where does Elliott play when we bring in new midfielders and everyone is fit? Is that right sided mf his best position? If not there then where? Seems to me he needs to play in an attacking mf in a 4-2-3-1 or similar formation. Food for thought.

Oh and please abandon the high line for a bit until all of this is sorted….please!

Cannot find where all the recent Gavi conversation was, but as unlikely as it ever was that he wouldnt resign with barca given Xavi’s view of him, that ship has now completely sailed

Don’t believe it ever was a ship. More of a rubber dinghy with a dodgy motor and a leak.

wheres the ‘money put aside for Gavi’ money John?

until they get into financial shit again in a couple of years…

FIFY.

Enzo Fernandez, this guy looks the business… And we love a Portuguese league player…

Be very surprised if he isn’t on our list alright.

Julian Ward’s new role & the connections he has with Portuguese/South American football was a big factor is us going after players like Diaz/Nunez so it’s no surprise being linked to Caicedo and some players at Fluminese/Flamengo which I’ve read about this morning.

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

1 Like
1 Like