The Central Midfield Thread

Some people on here would take anything.

1 Like

Some people will tell you we already did once!

2 Likes

definitely has his own style, he did. oh Sakho…

I get the impression that not buying in the summer and now this window only piles even more pressure and need on the next one.

CL qualification looks a tall order for next season already which puts even more pressure on getting players in.

Looking like a very costly error of judgement at the moment.

Henderson’s decline baffles me. The captain knows his responsibilities and has always been the consummate professional. What happened or has his legs just given up?

2 Likes

Jordan Henderson played something like 55 games last season, which is insane. Fabinho wasn’t that far behind him.

By the way, I don’t think that’s intentional. I think around the Spring the club realised they were in with a chance of doing a clean sweep, and they had to go for it.

Suffering for it now :frowning_face:

4 Likes

There have always been players in our club where the fans are just waiting to pounce and say “see, he was never that good” and some players who will always get the “but he is world class, its the rest who are pulling him down”. Hendo rightfully has been way below his previous standards but he and Fabinho had been made to be as if they were the be all and end all of our team’s alarming decline this season. None of the players in our team have been anything more than 6 if we were to use ratings and every single one of them had been playing way below their standards. But yeah only Hendo and Fabinho are problematic.

1 Like

At least our two main targets Caicedo and Bellingham are available in the summer :wink: Can imagine Mr Bloom not wanting to deal with Chelsea or Arsenal either…

If he doesn’t sign a new contract I can see us going for him again, with Nunez as our back up.

Moving in the summer - Rice, Bellingham, Caicedo… Can imagine Arsenal going for Rice personally.

2 Likes

Nunes for half Caicedo price is more likely.:roll_eyes:

Is Caicedo twice as good as Nunes???

Yeah, it’s clear that Bellingham and Nunes are (currently) our main two targets. Doesn’t mean we’ll end up with them of course, as we’ve seen sometimes in the past.

We’ve not been even properly/heavily linked with Caicedo. He might be on the list of other players we like, follow as normal, etc.

1 Like

I think there must be some confidence in the LFC boardroom that we will land our top targets in the summer. They will not have taken the decision to wait and the increased likelihood of missing out on CL money lightly. That’s my positive spin.

2 Likes

The reality is that there are a lot of great midfielders out there. We just need to identify our list of those players and sign the ones we are able to. Bellingham alone is not the answer. If folks think he- by himself- will be our savior they are delusional. We have to have the correct balance. We don’t right now and that is the reason for our current form more than anything else. We are not anywhere close to the well oiled machine we were not long ago. I, for one, feel ok about not overpaying badly in January. Let’s get to summer and execute on our plan.

Way too much work like when our backline was butchered two years ago and we won the league the following season, in the year we went from 8th to 3rd in a matter of weeks when turds (Joel) like yourself were writing us off?

1 Like

The reality is that, by definition, there cannot be a lot of great midfielders out there.

The fact that they are so rare is what makes them great.

1 Like

Yea but had you heard of Caicedo 18 months ago or Enzo? No and that’s my point. There are always midfielder ready to make the step from good to great.

2 Likes

Moving forward the price may be a factor, but they are slightly different players. Caiecdo isnt a holding player per se, but tends to stay the behind the ball whereas Nunes is someone who typically had a lot of licence to run and get forward. The links to Nunes have been much more solid and it is likely difference in profile that explains that difference given we likely could have Caicedo in the summer for the same sort of price as Nunes went for.

1 Like

If we get them two then I’ll be happy.

The If is doing a lot of lifting, I do think we should be considering some reinforcement in defence especially if we move on Phillips. But I won’t be greedy, could VdB move in as that cover, we will see.

1 Like

I think if funds are focused on bringing in the midfielders we are after then we have options for defence - either using a youngster or drop someone from midfield back if necessary for the season.

1 Like

Must have stepped on your toe somehow since you are making it personal.

Have a nice day.

I directed that at Joel. I put it in brackets to make it clear.