The Copa America thread

Embarrassing by Valancia from Ecuador as well. A little push and he fell as if he was shot.

1 Like

Uruguay is in serious decline. TabĂĄrez, Cavani, Suarez are just papering over the cracks. Unless the FA comes up with a long term plan, Uruguay will become a mediocre team.

Uruguay population

just let that sink in for a moment.

:blush:

What about China or India then?

Even with their small population, Uruguay was a good side most of the time. They were semifinalists in 2010 World Cup.

completely different situation.

the point is, with a population not even 1/5th the size of Australia, with a pretty poor ability to fund the execelence the street might produce, its an amazing success story to produce what they consistantly do as a football nation.

Uruguay is football mad, a good comparator might be scotland.

both countries live and breath football, both countries have external issues with funding acadamies…uruguay are punching so far above thier weight consistantly its ridiculous.

i know your point, i get your angle, just seems unfair to label anything they are going through as ‘serious decline’…coming back to the feild seems more apt…

3 Likes

They’re the South American version of the Dutch - a historical record far better than their resources justify. The flip side is those resources are insufficient to sustain perennial competitiveness. The result is the 2010-11 side was the outlier and not a mark of what should be expected of Uruguayan football. This period of relatively sustained competitiveness since has been because a core of that original group were young then and are still around (but on their last legs) and they’ve been unusually lucky for a country of their size to back it up with another quality generation coming in behind. They’ve had decent runs in some of the youth tournaments recently and have managed bring several of those players through into the first team, players like Gimenez, Bentacur and Valverde, but once Godin, Suarez and Cavani hang them up there will be a big gaping hole to fill. I mean fuck, even germany have pissed around for years trying to find a striker, so how do we expect a country like Uruguay to have replacements for players of that caliber ready to go?

2 Likes

Yeah that Columbia vs Uruguay was quite entertaining

Uruguay in this millennium

Year U20 WC Olympics World Cup Copa America
2000 Didn’t qualify
2001 Didn’t qualify Semifinals
2002 Group Stage
2003 Didn’t qualify
2004 Didn’t qualify Semifinals
2005 Didn’t qualify
2006 Didn’t qualify
2007 Round of 16 Semifinals
2008 Didn’t qualify
2009 Round of 16
2010 Semi-finals
2011 Group stage Champions
2012 Group stage
2013 Runner-up
2014 Round of 16
2015 Round of 16 Quarter-finals
2016 Didn’t qualify Group stage
2017 Semifinals
2018 Quarter-finals
2019 Round of 16 Quarter-finals
2020 Didn’t qualify
2021 Quarter-finals

In Copa 2001 they finished behind Costa Rica and Honduras in the group.
For 2006 WC qualification, they lost to Australia in the play-off.
In the expanded 16-team Copa of 2016, they failed to progress beyond group stage.
Lost to Venezuela in the 2017 U20 WC semifinals.

What’s your point?

Didn’t realised that Brazil vs Peru is on. Missed the first 26 minutes.

None of our boys are in the first XI.

Fabinho comes on with 5 minutes to go in regulation time.

Fabinho , firmino and Alison have hardly had a kick so won’t be too fatigued

1 Like

Every cloud has a silver lighting. :grinning:

1 Like

i sometimes wonder if thats worse…mentally speaking.

to maintain peak condition, yet not play…

Not exactly. They have played around half the games. Brazil have good alternatives for both Alisson & Fabinho and Firmino doesn’t suit their style.

1 Like

Emiliano MartĂ­nez trash talked the Columbia shooters all the way to end up with 3 saves (including saving one from Mina, YES!) for Argentina in the penalty shoot out. Brazil vs Argentina in the final.

Argentina centre of the park has been pretty poor in this match. I thought Columbia men-handled them.

Great goals from both side during regulation time.

Same old same old.

I’d rather see Peru v Paraguay or something. Gets boring seeing the same teams get to the final all the time, often through generous officiating.

3 Likes

I am happy with Brazil v Argentina in the final.

Columbia had bloody Yerry Mina as the 3rd penalty taker? Davinson Sanchez as the 2nd? No wonder they missed.

:man_facepalming:t2:

Brazil will be obvious/overwhelming favorites. They are more composed/organized.