The Cricket Thread

I’ve realised there is only a 10 day gap in august between all 3 forms which suits me keeps suitably entertained during the work day in the background.

Evidence why England continually underperform at cricket - this numpty spilling a straight forward spooned up catch is being celebrated in a national newspaper… FFS

1 Like

Hope Morgan gets dropped. No longer merits his place even as captain. Hasn’t merited his place as a batter for years.

A bit harsh on a legend, but will probably happen anyway.

Sri Lanka v Australia

Hmmm :thinking:

1 Like

Why don’t they just toss a coin and walk off

It’s getting silly now.

1 Like

It got silly with twenty twenty.

One day (fifty overs) cricket is just about tolerable; anything shorter than that is a farce.

4 Likes

I understand 20/20 though I do think it’s that or OD.

This is utter garbage though, 30 minutes of action followed by about an hour of some shit entertainment no doubt and then another 30 minutes of action.

2 Likes

Agree. I used to regularly enjoy ODIs, especially low scoring ones, but T20 is something I really actively dislike as the ‘contest’ between bat and ball just is not cricket. While 50 over pajama cricket was derided originally, it at least still involves traditional cricket strokes and rewards wicket taking bowling where bowlers have a little flexibility to take risks. It has also improved test cricket as batsmen have experience chasing totals so games need not peter out after the first innings or rain makes a draw most likely.

4 Likes

Have never got T20. It really shits me, and in my view has really hurt the game as batsmen now days don’t have the technique or mental ability to properly build an innings bar maybe 5 or 6 players.

When the 100 got announced I thought it was going to be even more shite, but the games I did get to see last summer were actually enjoyable - the tv coverage needs to be better assessed as they were to keen to cut the screen to show useless stats and figures rather than concentrate on the actual game - but that is more the tv coverage than the game itself. But this ne one sounds even more hidious and grotesque

5 Likes

Playing 20-20 in the evenings is great in summer after work.

1 Like

Who would you rather watch bat, Sir Geoff or Jason Roy? 11am on a Thursday mr grumpy. 6pm on a Friday? I want fireworks. Horses for courses.

Can’t believe Headingley is currently called “Clean Slate Headingley”. That’s awful.

1 Like

Does Liverpool have any cricket ground?

It’s possible to enjoy village cricket and test matches.

Who would you rather watch, Jimmy Anderson teasing a batsman on off stump, or some bowler who’s relieved when he manages to bowl a dot ball?

If England win a T20 I just shrug, if they win matches like the last two, I’m intrigued and enthralled for five days.
It is true that limited overs cricket has affected test cricket and it’s not all bad. That last test win was clearly born out of limited overs experience.

4 Likes

I would never watch Boycott bat and I’m a test cricket fan.

Don’t believe they play county cricket but they do have a cricket stadium

At this point, I believe ODI’s are redundant or atleast there needs to be a major change happening to that format for it to thrive.

It is shaping up to be an interesting tournament especially with all the happenings in SL of late.

Absolutely abhor the trend to naming rights for stadia - often for a pittance too when you consider who bore the cost of building and maintaining the stadium. News etc (esp the BBC) should always refer to them by their original name - or location if necessary. So Arsenal play at Ashburton Grove and Bournemouth play at Dean Court.