The Cricket Thread

I can turn a ball miles. I can also land a ball in the right place. Doing the two simultaneously and at the same time is the hard bit. That’s why I charge in like an angry bear and pretend to bowl fast. Amazing the impact (first few balls) of a keeper standing back and a stupid long run. Shit gets wickets :slight_smile:

I faced Phil Defreitas and Ed Giddins as a teenager. I don’t care that they’re only described as fast-medium, they both bowled at over 80mph (Giddins over 85mph) and were rapid. I didn’t enjoy it a great deal, particularly Giddins who tended to splay it about the place, which was unnerving at such pace. He was probably off his head on coke, mind.

Much preferred playing against the likes of Ian Salisbury!

I recall modelling my action as a teenage tearaway quick on Phil DeFreitas. Someone said I was getting the ball to come through at Bob Woolmer pace (RM) which wasn’t exactly complimentary. Not many glovemen stood up to me until I got playing in the Cheshire league in my mid twenties and I understood I wasn’t going to be ripping through the top order with pace!

2 Likes

Went to a net training session at OT a few years ago. Coach said he’d start the machine at 70mph. Ha, I thought, easy. Fucking hell. Could hit it after a few balls as it was always in the same place but the idea that you face “pace” in club cricket is pretty much nonsense. He wound it up to 90 and I could hit it but was more anticipation than hand eye. If the odd one of those had been straighter and aimed at my head, wow. Serious levels of personal danger. Not something you get in baseball or running. Entirely re-calibrated my appreciation of the top level fast bowlers. Also very understandable why they break so often.

2 Likes

Yeah, the county team I played in had two bowlers and the school team had one who bowled at over 75 and that was quick for school age cricket.

There was a South African bowling coach at school who could bowl at over 75 off just one pace :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah, have since met people with literal rocket arms. My current club does have 2 in the first team who can get tasty. Need to ask them nicely in the nets though to go flat out.

Oh dear. Not too much of a surprise, but I’d hoped that someone would stick around. Some cracks in the batting lineup and concern about the spinners.

Congratulations to India. This result is more realistic, particularly in India, than the first test. India are the superior team without doubt, and should beat England at home. Nevertheless it was an impressive performance with some excellent performances.

1 Like

Good to see India level the series. Looking forward to the next one, with a change of venue too.

A bit annoyed it’s over in 4 days mind - I’ve been enjoying getting up early and watching a bit before walking the dog then settling in for the afternoon session commentary whilst I work. Had a full morning stolen from me!

2 Likes

The next one is a day/night but starts only an hour later, I assumed day night tests would go into the evening like ODI but it seems to only make it an extra hour, then again should give me a good four hours of play.

England have a really packed schedule leading into the Ashes in November. Unless I’m missing something, Australia have a 1 test series against Bangladesh on the calendar between now and the Ashes. Is that even possible? Maybe with the border closures they can’t travel (the SA tour was cancelled for instance) but unless they schedule something in the calendar, it will be the seasoned England team against an ice-cold Australia. With the Ashes likely starting in Qld, it could legitimately be 0-2 at Fortress Gabbatoir in recent tests.

I am happy to see India embarrassing England like they did us though. Don’t want them confident.

Ha, shoulda tried facing Hayward (he wasn’t called Wayward for nothing). The skid marks took a while to come out and I’m not talking about the ones on the pitch. :smile:

1 Like

Did you face Nantie? It’s the worst type of bowler to face, someone with pace but no control. It could be a wide one moment, bumper up at your chin the next, then a yorker, then a beamer which you just don’t pick up…horrible. All whilst wearing a lid, which I also hate.

1 Like

We had like an open day thingy going on at Kingsmead and I faced him for an over. He wasn’t really gunning it but fuck me, pretty much exactly as you describe.

1 Like

The only reason I wear a helmet is because I have a habit of ramping the ball into my face :slight_smile:

I didn’t face anyone near that level of speed but the unpredictable ones are the worst to face up against… Namely because even they dont know what they are gonna do.

Ive taken a break from this forum for a bit though…

But I’ll put in a poll…

Greatest fast bowler of the last 20 years

Mcgrath vs steyn ?

I’ll pick steyn

That’s an easy one for me since I rate Steyn as perhaps the greatest fast bowler of all time.

1 Like

Eng 112 all out.

Didn’t seem that sorta wicket. I’ve always been the propnent of judging the wicket when both the teams have batted. So i will reserve my judgement after the indian first innings