The Cricket Thread

Was bound to happen.

1 Like

A real shame as he’s a cracking batsman, but health has to come first

its a shame… cue some crusty old cricketer talkin about how they used to face down Joel Garner with a cap on…

3 Likes

Sir Alastair Cook

Ex-England captain on BBC Test Match Special

"Quite simply, he is England’s greatest.

It is absolutely right that he has this record to himself. Take it in, Joe, we are watching you and you are a genius.

There is a sense of inevitability around Joe Root when he bats, a sense that he is always going to score runs.

It’s such a pleasure to see a master at work like this."

2 Likes

Sunny day, still a fair bit of cricket left to play and Lords looks like it’s Covid restricted.

The ECB are greedy as I assume this is down to ticket prices.

1 Like

the opponent team also plays a part. It’s Srilanka , not India or Australia.

Bangladesh are doing a pretty good job though. Pakistan on the other hand. the Everton of Cricket now.

Then you lower the price accordingly.

I would have gone if it’s £30

2 Likes

Fair enough. If i was in a position of making the decisions , I’d have had entire sections of the stadium with free entry. Make the money with the overpriced food and drinks but atleast let the people see the game.

3 Likes

Well yeah, I think a day five approach would help.

I’ve seen more at a county game.

1 Like

Goes for all countries too. Very few people come up and see tests as it is.

1 Like

Thing is you can use the tests where people show up such as the Ashes and the Indian/Pakistan tests and cover these type of series.

Especially places like Lords that gets one every series.

Though I’d reconsider that as well.

The amounts recieved for TV rights far outstrips whatever the amount provided by gates.

Not in favour of certain centers getting the lion’s share of tests but if the smaller cities wouldn’t draw the crowds as well.

You can only promote the game with the children if it’s accessible. The way to do that is clear , just that the authorities don’t want to do that.

Goes for all countries as well. There needs to be outreach programs etc in India as well where school children are gotten there free of cost and made to meet the sportsmen etc after end of day’s play. Would take 30 minutes of the cricketer’s time but would make the day , month and year of those kids.

1 Like

You’ve got Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds not to mention places like Trent bridge effectively fighting for 2 tests.

Lords atmosphere is bloody terrible compared to say the Oval.

1 Like

Don’t see why London needs to get 2 tests in a 5 test series. Birmingham being full of Indians/Pakistanis would almost always get a match if it’s an India / Pakistan tour

1 Like

Depends on ground availability, pitch condition, weather, as well as spectators

Too many stiff upper lip members in their outlandishly coloured jackets with polite applause

1 Like

Fixed

2 Likes

If they were banned they wouldn’t be there.

Aussies not great at logic.

:roll_eyes:

Comfortable for England again in the end. Atkinson with a 100 and five-for in the same match, only the third England player to do it. Pretty remarkable start for him in test cricket.

Root should still get that MOTM award though, twin centuries and about 50 records broken in that game.

4 Likes