The Cricket Thread

This is pretty exciting for a meaningless game

Ps Not a bad effort, but lost it in the field. Bowling and fielding will have to improve.

Big Kiwi fan today (and always actually).

You have to admire the Afghans with all the background, but just for today, I’m for NZ.

1 Like

Advantage NZ, but they’ve gone into a bit of a rut since Guptill gave his wicket away.
Hopefully see off Rashid and then put the foot down.

England vs New Zealand
Australia vs Pakistan

Barring a miracle win for Scotland over Pakistan, that will be a tasty semi final lineup. Would like to see an England/Pakistan final but anything can happen in this format, all four teams should fancy their chances of winning it.

I want NZ to win it for a couple of reasons, but most of all as redemption after their agonising defeat in the other world cup.
If not NZ then England.
If not England then Pakistan.
If not NZ, England or Pakistan then a cancellation of the tournament for any reason necessary.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not in favour of calling someone out for racism years after the incident. The said person might have changed himself and his belief structures in this period.

Also this isnt going to magically make racism go away , it will be swept under the carpet and only make resentment more.

Looking forward to the match today. It will be nice watching and not minding who wins.
NZ have the better bowling, England have the better batting. Should be a cracker.

It’s tricky. Mills and Roy are big misses for England. NZ have got a pretty well balanced side.

I’d be more confident if Root was able to be brought in rather than, say, Billings.

Of the current squad reserves I do like Vince as a better option to Billings. Having said that, I’d strengthen the bowling outfit.

I’d go with

Buttler
Ali
Malan
Bairstow
Morgan
Livingstone
Woakes
Rashid
Willey
Jordan
Wood

Perhaps unsurprisingly they’ve opted for Billings. I’ve given him a lot of stick over the years, can’t quite believe the amount of opportunities he’s been given in the past whilst far superior players like Malan and Livingstone were sidelined, but I’ll happily eat some humble pie if he can produce the goods today.

NZ bowling first, a blow already for England. On paper we have the stronger team, but I think that outcome at the toss evens things up a bit. Should be a cracking game.

At the same ground we went at 9 an over against Bangladesh earlier in the tournament. Thinking a good score will be 170 plus.

Bairstow fucking things up already.

Wonder which bowlers England will target in order to get to a total that big. Just 7 from 2 overs of Southee so far who is somebody I thought they’d go after, he has a good ER in this tournament but he was pretty poor in the IPL beforehand. Santner from memory doesn’t have a great record against us either but he’s another who’s bowled well in this tournament.

Smart captaincy to get Southee through a third over there, imagine England might try the same trick with Woakes when they come to bowl. Two bowlers who aren’t anywhere near as effective at the death.

Get through the power play without losing a wicket and we’ll be in a decent position.

The kiss of death, not a great shot from Bairstow that.

Pathetic by England so far. At least set a target.

Advantage NZ after ten overs. England will have to really go some to get upwards of 160 now. Interesting that they sent in two left handers to try and target Santner, NZ have responded by taking him out of the attack which means maybe he’ll have to bowl later on. Personally I would prefer keeping the balance of a LHB and RHB at the crease.

Malan starting to find some timing now, a few very pleasing on the eye shots so far. Could do with Moeen lamping a few now.

England on valium

The challenge with discussing this stuff with the “it wasnt racism it was banter” crowd is if they dont think what they did was racist then when asked to recall past racist behaviors their reflex position will be deny it and genuinely not see themselves in the accusations because to them nothing they did was racist.

Regarding today’s game, I dont really know much about 20-20 so what is considered a competitive total? England’s likely 160 odd seems a decent total to defend.

1 Like

Moeen unnerved the bowlers in the last five overs.

1 Like

Well played Moeen.

I think England might be a bit under par with 166. Bairstow being scratchy at the top and Buttler getting out when he did has cost us. NZ definitely favourites, I don’t have huge faith in our bowlers being able to defend this.

1 Like

Score you can defend but also one that can be taken on and beaten