The Cricket Thread

Barack Obama was the president of US. Has that ever stopped the rise of the right wing lunatics or the likes of hate crimes against Blacks in the USA…

Not saying it doesn’t play a role to stop doing that , but still

I think you misunderstand me. I’m not talking about leadership in figurehead roles, but in roles where their presence can actually make a difference and have intervened. This issue occurred because those in positions to stop it, or take it seriously when it was reported to them, were born of the same ignorance of the effect of the behavior as those doing it.

Tim Bresnan, Alex Hales and David Lloyd some of the high profile names to not come out looking too great in all of this.

Bumble was a big surprise.

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/7832/documents/81586/default/

The full text of the readings. It’s shocking. Hope there are some changes now which amount to more than a token showing of diversity etc.

1 Like

Nah, it’s England, mate. There’ll be much hand wringing, insincere apologies, talk of ten-year plans, and the usual square root of fuck all actually done.

3 Likes

Sadly this is true.

As I said earlier, most if not all county clubs will have a board made up almost exclusively of old white guys, and nothing will change until the boards themselves start to change and diversify.

2 Likes

Lord Kamesh Patel has been appointed as Yorkshire CC’s new chairman which is a start I guess but I think he’s already hit a bit of a brick wall with some issues. But this goes wider, at least as wide as the whole game in the UK I think, and all the way to the top.

How is it outside the UK?

1 Like

It’s not just cricket, though, as others have already stated. Structural racism permeates throughout society, both here in Britain and elsewhere.

1 Like

Pretty sure that there was some kind of report that declared that Britain wasn’t institutionally racist…

Yeh. About that…

2 Likes

It was a load of bollocks, as pointed out by such disparate entities as the UN, BMA and Runnymede Trust, amongst many others.

1 Like

No doubt Australia will be in a similar state (old white guys running everything and with all the power/influence) but not heard anything about claims of institutional racism in the game - just the odd player making comments on the field, but even then not that often) so I think the ACB and the State teams could be watching what is happening over here with interest to see if they can get ahead of any potential issues or problems

1 Like

I dunno if anybody knows this, but how is the committee that Rafiq spoke to made up or chosen etc? Because him speaking about such issues to 11 white people also feels a bit wrong.

I can’t access youtube on this network but there’s a brilliant sketch by a black south african comic about how we were shit racists and they did it properly. Apt I think.

That’s Loyisa Gola, I think. He’s brilliant.

Edit:

1 Like

That’s the one, it occurred to me the comedy aspect of this whole cricket mess cropping up in South Africa.

Anybody seen an interview with Boycott on the matter yet?

There will be nepotism in Indian Cricket. There will be corruption and lack of accountability as well in matters of selection etc. There will be a lot of bigots there as well. And there will be players who will be treated deplorably.

Just not sure whether it will be institutionalized racism as is the case of what’s happening right now in English Cricket.

If you compare this to an equivalent in football , you’ll be looking at clubs and their behavior till 2000s or so to people of colour. Chelsea is the recent one which comes to mind immediately.

But that’s been a good 15 years back and football has grown to being more inclusive than the white boys club it was back in the 80s to early 90s. Amazing that british cricket comparitively was more inclusive in the 80s (even if you look at the response to SA and their apartheid regime , having foreign players playing in the counties etc…) And its just taken not one step forward since then.

2 Likes

1000 calls in a week! This is going to be a massive blow for the county game which could struggle to recover from.

1 Like