The Cricket Thread

Wood over 90mph, good stuff.

Taking them an age to fix the scoreboard on screen.

Oh Benjamin, could have been a dream first over.

Kind of feel it’s not going get any better….

Our edges not carrying today, all of theirs carried comfortably yesterday. Suggests to me that maybe they need to be closer in.

2 Likes

That drop slips catch…do you think there is a mentality problem out there right now? I imagine it would be easy for the players to fall into the trap of thinking “this session/day/match is just not going our way” and really then not being switched on with the belief and positivity to be ready to take those sorts of catches.

Probably just a dropped catch and I’m looking too much into it but I do think it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when you get that mentality that “the cricket gods are against us”. They have to have that belief. The bowlers after lunch are doing their bit.

…Obvs I don’t actually want them to get back into the match!

1 Like

Fucking hell. Warner must have had about six lives. The difference is that Australia took their chances, England fumbled theirs.

1 Like

The early no ball dismissal was key - England were bowling well at the time and arguable on top of the batting. Was also telling to me after the dropped catch by Burns that no one “rallied around him” or supported him.

Having said that, impressed with the bowling, especially Wood who was excellent and menacing throughout. Robinson and Woakes hit the bat hard enough to suggest they will be a factor on the pitches here.

Leach well Aus have just decided he’s shite and will attack at all costs to force Root to take him out and put pressure on the rest of the attack.

Kudos Travis Head for taking the game away from England, outstanding knock.

1 Like

Burns has dropped umpteen catches in the slips now, don’t know how he’s found his way back in there. Easy chances as well, it’s no wonder they can’t be arsed consoling him. Turning into a nightmare test for him. From the point I watched up to I can’t really believe they went on to let Warner get 94 and Labuschagne 70 odd, both could have gone numerous times but for no balls and shit fielding. Looks like Leach got absolutely spanked as well, which will again call into question not only Root’s decision to bat first but also leaving out Broad on a green pitch.

The test will be over tomorrow should the weather hold out.

1 Like

England may as well just come home now. But I suppose they get avoid our winter weather.

1 Like

Damn, missed both the days, was so looking forward to this series.

England getting hammered at the Gabba. Can’t help but think how huge India’s win at the Gabba really was. The Gabba still is Australia’s fortress

3 Likes

Think that’s the first test done

forget the first test, thats my late night snack done :face_vomiting:

I wonder if they even had a game plan for this morning because this has been boring as fuck.

Rory Burns has taken a catch klaxon.

So, basically these two have to bat for another day at least.

You Poms have been a bit too negative.

Headingly 1981 all over again???

I’d take that!

Negative? I don’t think we thought about trying to win this Test this morning! If we can get out with a draw that will be a good result after the first innings.

3 Likes

Still a very long way to go, but at least England have shown a bit of fight. If these two can get them into a lead, there might be a chance of saving it, but equally, Aus could still win by an innings.

1 Like

Still think it will take some for England to win this match. Perhaps shades of 2010 though when Cook doubled up and both Strauss and Trott also got 100s on the way to a draw if Root and Malan or one other can go on to get a big hundred. Would think they’d be extra cautious in setting any total should they get that chance considering some of the fast scoring players in the Aussie line up.

Talking of Root. Taking the record for England for most runs in a calendar year away from the bad dickhead Vaughan.

3 Likes

Can’t really see a draw. There’s still two days to go and no sign of rain.