The Film Thread

Blue or Purple tie?

p.s. I know he’s King now but…

It is internationally well known! That’s the point. And highly regarded. I love Harry Dean Stanton and have probably seen close to 30 of his films. But I’ve never (or at least never remember) see it on recommended lists like top 250s or best of the 80s etc.

It’s just never entered my radar until it did, and then I saw it mentioned on an almost daily basis.

2 Likes

It’s a film that I’m aware of but have never seen. I’ve just added it to my watch list although that tends to be a litany of good intentions.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/RufusTSuperfly/status/1731689423501210036?t=ZXcCb3iP5khTlhXExy5lCg&s=19
:rofl:

1 Like

So I went through my back catalogue of favourites at the weekend and ended up watching Jacobs Ladder.

Such a good movie. First time I saw it in the cinema I had no idea what the film was about. I left when it ended and it was “wtf was that?”

2 Likes

How confused were you the first time? Did you come in this time getting enough of it to know what the reveal was? I did a similar rewatching a few ago and was a little bit disappointed at how obvious it all was.

1 Like

Yeah, stunned the first time.

This time, I still found it fun picking up all the little hints etc. on the way. That just made me like it more to be honest. Very clever how it was all done. But I also now have questions which means watching it again at some point.

I find I can still watch Usual Suspects in that way.

1 Like

I think that was most people’s reaction. I can remember having a huge discussion with my wife about it on the way home.

Edit - it came out in 1990. It must have been a huge discussion with another girlfriend. I’ve landed myself in the poo before with a discussion that started, “do you remember when…”

Usual Suspects is a good comparison. The reveal is so satisfactory because once its done it doesnt feel contrived but also you can rewatch it and not get tipped off. What I found with Jacob’s ladder is the explanation for his situation is pretty easy to twig on rewatch

Also, shout out to an early appearance for Macaulay Culkin as the son

2 Likes

It is, and there’s far more than you initially think after thinking about it the first time. That’s the fun of it for me, hunting these little details down.

1 Like

felt that way about the Sixth Sense

I worked out the twist in Sixth Sense part way through the first watching but it is rewarding to watch the whole thing again knowing what it is.

Right, now that the Klopptimist isn’t here we can finally get down to business on writing that new George Soros funded Hollywood blockbuster.

I’m thinking a remake of 2001: A Space Odyssey but instead of white people in the ship we will have a gay Transgender, black, muslim, refugee, 2nd grade sex ed teacher who has an polygamous relationship with both HAL (renamed HER-AL) and other crew members.

Oh and instead of the monolith teaching the hominins how to use tools, it will teach them the truth about human nature and correctly outline how white men are the evil of the world.

Perfect film, us Liberals are going to love it.

2 Likes

Im going to write the conservative one. Some guy on a crusade from Jesus to save the kids from human trafficking turns out, to no one’s surprise, to be an absolute sex pest himself.

Oh, what is that? I’m being told in my ear that film was already made and was the actual story behind the sleeper hit of the year.

2 Likes

For le Carre fans there is a nice documentary about his life and writing on Apple called the pigeon tunnel

1 Like

Watched this last night before the game.

Lovely film….

4 Likes

Watched Dumb Money this week. Bought a bunch of pizzas for my staff and we watched it together. Loved it. But I’m in the investment business, and wondered if there was a little too much Inside Baseball for the average viewer.

1 Like

Didn’t realise Rocky Horror was on Disney plus. Treating myself to some Tim Curry

1 Like

I keep intending to rewatch that one. There’s some great old films on Disney that get lost n the depths of their search algorithm.

I have access to my daughter’s account so any suggestions would be great. Not a great fan of musicals or violent/war films.

1 Like