The Football Manager thread

Anyway in FM, i always ask my scouts to look for players with 4 star potential and above below 18 all over the world especially in South America and the Eastern European and Central European nations. Problem with the South American ones below 18 years old, it is hard to get permits so after they come, its loan after loan…

Went with Newcastle. Yet to play a game. Defence and midfield look like they both need improving, Can’t see any immediate improvements to bring in for defence. Wondering whether to try to splash out on Rice, Bissouma (or an argentinian guy from Spain) and Raphina and leave defence until next season.

Or just stick with what I have for the first season while I get the scouts up and running…

Given you have £200m budget, I would splash out on world-class replacements for the two or three worst players in your starting eleven.

1 Like

I think you would find Rice and Bissouma, their clubs quoting you ridiculous prices to even negotiate. That is usually the cases for English based players who are not transfer listed and are key players for their club. Even youth players with high potential get quoted ridiculous prices. So my opinion is always to look overseas, because there are plenty of bargains in the South American leagues or in Dutch, Portuguese and German Leagues. Get some quick scouting in some of the players from these leagues and make your decision from there. I think from real life, Newcastle needs a leader and improvements in every area of the field, but I think if you have to leave it, attack is fine. And with 200m, you should be able to get at least 3 very good additions on top of whoever you can sell. Remember to tell your board to put most of the transfer revenue back into your budget.

1 Like

Is Ramsay available for cheap? He’s well worth getting as he’d be a great starter for you and in my save he was listed for £5mil and around £150k pw wages.

Try and find transfer listed players, they won’t be your end game players but will improve your first team for a few seasons - Tolisso, Loftus-Cheek etc. Were all available under £10mil on mine as well.

p.s. If you don’t sign Andy Carrol on a free you canni be a geordie laaad!

I’m still trying to get my head round the scouting/transfer system so will have another look at those transfer listed to see if I can find any bargains. Haven’t seen Ramsey’s name pop up yet or any of the others you mentioned.

Just search for them and ask if they are available!

1 Like

I just had the best save game of my life with Chester. Took then from Vanarama North to the Premier League - something I’ve been trying to do in FM< for about ten years and I did it in consecutive seasons. Apart from my first year I was considered the worst team in the league every time and even now as a Premier League team my transfer budget was less than 2m.

Thought I was going to get annihilated in the Premier League but after eight games I’m top having won six, drawn one and lost one (4-0 by Spurs). I’ve beaten Liverpool at Anfield, Man Utd at Old Trafford and drew at home to City. My star player in a wonderkid from France but he’s eighteen and realistically wouldn’t even get into the squad of most other Premier League teams.

So I’m now kind of finding myself a bit unsatisfied. I downloaded a good tactic to play - I don’t have time to be fucking about and tinkering with sliders - which is no doubt the root of my success. I’ve done well finding good players to develop (I try not to sign anyone over the age of 23) and I enjoy selling someone I bought for 100k for 5m then reinvesting. However, this save is both awesome and so unrealistic that I don’t know if I want to see it through to the finish… maybe I’ll just take a break from it and see how I feel when I come back.

1 Like

I bought both those guys for Newcastle, but one of my best signings was Roma CB Mancini, who is a beast in the game.

1 Like

My first signings for Newcastle were Rice, Bissouma, Vlahovic and Mancini, who were all excellent.

I struggled a bit at full-back, though, no real standout prospects at an affordable level.

I’d also recommend signing Vandevoordt as your GK, cheap as chips and potential to be one of the best in the game, although Darlow and Dubravka are decent enough for the first season.

1 Like

I did see a swiss full back playing in spain who looked interesting but perhaps a bit older than I wanted to sign (Wass?)

I’d also add that the ability to negotiate transfers in real-time with others clubs is one of the best additions to the most recent editions of the game, no longer need to dick around sending offers back and forth over a period of weeks to get something over the line.

1 Like

*Danish.

I’m ok now as in my second summer I splashed out on Gaya from Spain, who’s an excellent LB.

Nianzou is also one of my favourite CBs in the game, can be got from Bayern for relatively little at the start of the game.

Benjamin Sesko is also an insane prospect at CF, I’m considering selling Vlahovic already because this kid is so dynamite.

Edit: Other signings I’ve been really pleased with - Noni Madueke, Andreas Schjelderup, Josko Gvardiol, Harvey (obv), Youssoufa Moukoko

1 Like

I’ve found the last couple of years, South Europe is a better target than Central Europe as the prices are a lot more favorable, and you get some real cracking players.

Also, you need to make sure that your HoYD has a good ruputation and favorable personality as that can have a massive effect on your youth intake.

1 Like

I just bought Bellingham in my first season at Liverpool for 98mil :rofl: 35mil up front and the rest in installments. Only had 20mil starting. I sold Ox for 30m to Real Madrid haha…Karius for 4m, Origi to Juve for 12m…tried selling Naby for 30m, no takers at all…while Taki rejected a 15m move to Villa. Bought Arezo from River Plate but loan back. Bought 2 more youth prospects who is rated as very good as squad players and hopefully develop them…Johnny as American from INT Brazil and a guy from Montpellier…in which the name escapes me now.

1 Like

Transfers that involve actual money? What sort of whitchcraft are you practicing? :laughing:

Just started my Non League to Legend save with Dulwhich Hamlet. Finances are not as bad as first thought, as got cash in the bank, £600-700 in spare wages but no transfer kitty. Trialing a load of free signings but am struggling to get any players sold - although that isn’t a big thing as the squad looks decent, but lacking in depth so ideally would love to move on 1 or 2 of the higher earners to free up so space in the wage budget to allow me to add numbers to give me some depth although there are a couple of 17-18yo kids that look like they could be a little be special at this level.

1 Like

This game makes even less sense than usual this year. Billy Koumetio starts with 4* potential and so I get him mentored by Virgil. Result? He now has 2.5* potential.

How does that work? :thinking:

1 Like

Star ratings are related to the team and other players.

If you have gone and bought anyone then that will effect the star rating of the rest of the squad, so I assume you’ve bought players that have far greater potential than Koutemtio

No, it is relation to the entire squad, not just players in similar positions.