The Inequality Thread

The sad thing here is that he no longer has to answer for possible criminal charges for this.

Andrew, besides coming across as a bit dim…
probably guessed mummy or Charles would bail him out if it was getting too close to Platinum celebrations…
If the girl puts some of the money toward helping other victims, then good for her

1 Like

Worth noting that the UK public has partly paid for this.

This, wall paper in No. 10, lining pockets of MP’s with links to dodgy PPE firms etc. Possible Russian money pouring through London The list goes on.

The UK is a cesspit

3 Likes

This. There needs to be full disclosure.

3 Likes

Fixed that one for you for accuracy.

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: Banning Transgender Athletes from women’s sports

I’ve created a new thread for the trans athletes discussion, as it wasn’t really on topic in here.

2 Likes

Doesn’t it meet the very definition of inequality?

2 Likes

The thread was started with the intent to discuss social inequality. This here is another kind of inequality, so I think it deserves its own thread.

Ah, ok - fair enough. I can only see the thread title, I can’t see the content of the OP.

1 Like

Fair enough.

When does one feel guilty about how much one earns?

when one doesn’t feel the wage is justified? Probably never for most people.

I guess I’m talking about the wage someone gets vs the average wage. Is 1.5x the tipping point, 2x, 5x, >10x?

But to your point where should be the tipping point?

it’s subjective, this question is impossible to answer. Because guilt itself is subjective.

there’s footballers making $50mil a year to kick a bag full of air. But surgeons who work at Children’s Hospitals saving the lives of little kids make 1/200th of that. So, it’s subjective.

These are irrelevant in the context of the “city”. Some begrudge these footballers making these sums but in reality they are a tiny fraction of all footballers and are considerably less in number than the number of gangsters, politicians and (for sure) bankers making similar sums…

My point is more on a personal level. I had a colleague (not sure we were ever really friends) that gave 15-25% of their income to charity - always. I never had that level of commitment and it makes me feel inadequate (guilty) at the end of the day…

No question. I guess I should have referenced the “guilt” aspect when it comes to my statement of footballers vs surgeons. Messi thanking god every day that he makes more than a third world village probably doesn’t absolve guilt.

I wish I had that kind of money. I earn a good living wage but am still short when it comes to planning retirement. I didn’t make good career decisions when I was younger (hence, the blue pill over red pill discussion) so unless I have some kind of windfall I’ll be working until I can afford not to.

so I donate my time to the ALS Society to fundraise, I donate my recycling deposits and buy charity raffles when I come across them. Cost of living here is so bloody expensive I’m struggling 8yrs later to rebuild my savings that I had to spend when we bought this house.

He did this during his PhD - whatever stipend (was around £8-9k back in the 90s) he got he gave away 15-25%. Knowing him he has probably sustained that to this day.

This is not a slight - I admire people who give their energy to good causes and in the end that is very, very important.

not taken as a slight. :slight_smile:

I wish I had money to give.

If I could actually afford to do it, I’d love to go work with Habitat for Humanity or something along those lines.

1 Like

I think the question is an interesting one, but I wouldnt lose a moment of sleep in terms of comparing yourself to others. The guy might be a very good guy. And hopefully the donations have done some good over the years. But neither is a given. I know lots of people who are very charitable yet absolute cunts. What describe of the way this guy has gone about his charity sounds like a religious tithing, which even without getting into the ills of funding organized religion (especially the ones that demand such tithing), it’s rarely a sense of goodness that spurs it, but obligation. You’re not really being a better person by giving to a cause over threats of burning in damnation for eternity if you dont.

1 Like