The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

Aren’t there owners meant to be bad??? Seem like the best owners in the league to me. Invest plenty in a shite team

1 Like

They’ve taken a club debt free since 1931 and heavily mortgaged it to pay for the takeover. That money and the interest paid could have been reinvested into their squad and ground. I think they whacked a second load of debt onto the club when their US businesses started having trouble in the financial crisis.

Towards the end of Fergies time i think they reduced their spending on players, and Moyes didn’t spend much either.

1 Like

That’s that cleared up then😹

1 Like

Reminds me so much of the Liverpool Glenn Johnson days, where our wages weren’t being reflected in performances.

4 Likes

Sounds like one of those posts where technically your a director but in reality your not! :rofl: :partying_face:

EDIT: @redfanman beat me to it, sorry redfanman.

3 Likes

Comparing Varane to VVD… massive pressure already mounting up over there, hopefully they’ll be crushed by these expectation levels… :blush:

3 Likes

I have a feeling their title ambition/wet dream will be ruined by Rafa. Oh, just imagine the situation.

2 Likes

I think the premise is dumb because not even Dias is Virgil. But if we back out a bit to not position it so much as “can an elite CB help you win the league” but "is this the missing piece then the answer is no. Varane is one of the few CBs in the world where the conversation isnt a silly one to have, but this Utd team is not close to as good as us pre Virgil or City in their peri Covid off year.

6 Likes

Have to disagree with part of that. Post Virgil we still either Karius or Mignolet in goal. Robbo and TAA were still finding their feet also.

This utd team has a lot of match winners and a good defence that has just improved, on paper at least. The difference I believe is in the dugout. They’ve still Ole and we have Klopp.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if he lives up to the hype. I don’t see him as the player that leads the defence at united in the same way Virgil does here or Dias at City.

Hes not a bad player though, and if he strikes up a decent partnership with slab head they will be tough to break down. The United squad is getting stronger, but whether its strong enough and they can do it with Ole at the wheel is questionable at the moment imo. Certainly though, they aren’t to be taken lightly.

1 Like

Former Manchester United defender Rafael on Steven Gerrard:

“Wayne Rooney told us that Steven Gerrard hated us. He said that Gerrard told him on international duty, ‘Those twins, they are p*****!’.”

5 Likes

Was that after Rooney woke up from his nap?

2 Likes

Rashford to miss the start of the season :+1:t3:

Palmer sucks as a journalist (well, at least when it comes to his transfer exclusives) but this is an interesting point. Manchester as a city is fuelling the world football with money.

4 Likes

At least Man U fuel some of it with real fan attendance

1 Like

Rashford having surgery - out for 12 weeks.

With no guarantee that it will remedy the problem… Apparently!

Yeah, and only its addressing one of the two issues that belabored him last season with the strategy for the other based on the hope that it will naturally improve from the time off he will be getting with his shoulder surgery.

I actually quite worry for the lad given how much and for how long he’s been asked to slog while carrying these injuries. With these sorts of injuries, the further you dig yourself into a hole before you stop to get them fixed, the harder they are to ever fully recover from.

3 Likes

We could really do with spending some cash couldn’t we :rofl:

I think the next two seasons would be key for Rashford. Flop here and he’ll get flogged and sold to the likes of Everton/West Ham