The Manchester United Thread: That's It. That's the Joke (Part 1)

its a deeply emotive subject that I am no expert on. What constitutes racism in one society yet is considered normal in another?

Anyway, the Cavani question is quite simple.
Follow precedent, a precedent that is relevant in a time of heightened awareness.
Eight match ban. No other punishment meets the threshold.

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4tW7AG_mc

At 1min:20secs… When presented in perfect context, then surely no insults can be taken…!

“And so Happy Christmas, for black and for white, for yellow and red ones, lets stop all the fight.”

For what it is worth… Cavani had a thousand other words he could have used… 8 match ban :+1:

3 Likes

I’m not sure about Uruguay but it’s massive in Brazil regarding skin colour, in a population where black out numbers white look at what colour skin every model has on every billboard.

Spend five minutes in one of the malls in Rio or Belo horizonte that is no different from say a Westfield in London or a Trafford centre in Manchester and you’ll spot a difference from the street outside.

To be fair as a white westerner I didn’t see it, it felt odd when my partner pointed out, but once it is pointed out you notice it everywhere.

Sorry to throw the thread off a tangent but it’s a far different far more subtle but obviously there if you choose to see it.

4 Likes

Aye, it is not that these societies are post-racism. It is just that this is not the term a racist would use to express a racist sentiment.

5 Likes

I was in both Rio and Montevideo a couple of years ago and from what I can remember, Montevideo seemed to be overwhelmingly a white city. The only black people I remember seeing were doing menial jobs like road sweepers. I think I would have felt a bit uncomfortable saying, “hey Negrito, you missed some”.

2 Likes

Is this before or after Rafa signed most of them?

1 Like

Because that would be acting like a condescending git. Saying hey blanquito you missed a bit wouldn’t be great either.

2 Likes

Precisely my point…both bits of that remark to me are condescending…if I said to him… Have a great day Negrito…that would also not feel right to me but apparently he would not feel I was being condescending because he doesn’t mind being called Negrito…right?

1 Like

No, because that’s not how the language works. Using the diminutive in this instance to any adult no matter the colour would be condescending. They wouldn’t view it as racist. Unless you’re tone of voice and facial expression showed you to be racist. But a grown adult would think, why is this (I presume you’re British) British chap talking to me as if I’m a little kid.

I’m just trying to explain the Suárez incident and the Cavani incident.

Suárez was trying to wind Evra up by being condescending not racist.
Cavani could use Negrito because he knows the person well and in this instance it’s used affectionately not condescendingly. I gave an example earlier. Often a husband will call his wife who has darker skin negrita as a term of endearment and vice versa.

4 Likes

So you have agreed with me then. Addressing that term/name to an adult might be viewed as racist, even in Uruguay. Didn’t both Suarez and Cavani use it to an adult? I do get that in Cavani’s case it was to a friend I think. Don’t think Evra was a mate of Suarez though. Anyway they are my thoughts and I should probably stop derailing this thread now.

1 Like

No, I don’t. I didn’t say they view it as racist. Don’t know where you got that impression from my comment.

As was mentioned earlier it’s not there is no racism in these countries, just that this isn’t a term a racist would use.

The diminutive is used in different contexts. It can used in a condescending way, it can be used to be polite, or when talking to children. I have never heard it used to be racist.

Language is more than words obviously. Culture, tone of voice and facial expressions all come into play as well the time period one lives in as also language evolves.

Anyway, I have nothing to gain in this conversation, it’s not like Cavani has hired me to bail him out of this situation.

1 Like

You can make anything sound what you want it to sound.
On an episode of friends Rachel says something innocent and Joey makes it sound sexy. She’s like, how do you do that? He says it’s easy, you can do it with anything. Then proceeds to say meatball sub in a sexy voice.

Here come some very good looking Caucasians, said in a polite voice with a snarly face expression while rolling your eyes would tell a different story to the actual words.

Anyway, I find the theme of language very interesting but Political correctness and the PC brigade gets on my nerves. Making everyday life a minefield.

Just a little point. I lived near Brixton, London for a while. There were two magazines. One was called ‘Black is beautiful’ , the other was called ‘The Black Nation’ . I just wondered how that would have played out if the titles were ‘White is Beautiful’ and ‘The White Nation’.

1 Like

Any colour can be considered discriminatory if there is more than one that can be chosen…!

Fact is, how can ethnicity be described without crossing any borders of correctness. It is difficult.
The answer is, without being able to generalise, there is no right way to describe skin colour and stay on the side of impartiality. It is a subject matter that has been ingrained into the DNA of past generations, and though huge steps have been made in the not too distant past to overturn, it is a subject that still has a fair way to go before bigotry can be assigned to history once and for all.

1 Like

When I was volunteering in Ghana they would call me “Obroni”, a term for a white person or more generally a foreigner. They had a word for themselves that they kept trying to get me to call them, which basically meant black person, but I never felt comfortable to do that.

I never felt offended by the term Obroni but I think that is because even in Ghana I could definitely feel the “authority” of being white. It certainly doesn’t carry the same historical baggage as using a similar term towards a black person in the UK.

I’m not sure what my point is. I guess I’m saying I understand that Cavani didn’t mean offence by what he said but ultimately he lives in the UK now and that’s not an acceptable phrase here.

2 Likes

Is it? In your opinion of course. No more, no less.
Wasn’t arguing, just making an observation and asking a question.
Lazy half assed point maker is you.

1 Like

I always use ‘arsed’ rather ‘assed’ as I personally don’t want to offend any donkey’s,they’re not lazy.

2 Likes

Oh right,kinky.

3 Likes

a/s/l?

asking for @SBYM

7 Likes

But Suarez didn’t use the word negrito, he used negro? :thinking:

1 Like

Can’t wait for this lot to get dropped to Europa League so Rangers can smash the fuck out of them.

8 Likes