The Middle East Thread

Israelis, well, a significant part of them, want the Palestinians to leave Gaza, West Bank, and East Jerusalem. That’s been the problem since 1948, or at least since 1967. They are fueling all the wrong sorts of emotions among the Palestinians.

I came across a lot of malicious opinions/comments during the UNRWA debate in the last few days. The core theme being is that UNRAW, instead of providing a lifeline to the Palestinians, should have been working for the resettlement of the Palestinian to Canada, USA, Europe, Australia.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2024/0201/1429970-jewish-settlers-sanctions/

Yeah, that’s really going to teach them a lesson. :laughing:

https://archive.is/jnQmU

Information obtained by Haaretz indicates IDF commanders have ordered soldiers to set fire to abandoned Gaza homes without legal approval. Several hundred have already been irreparably damaged.

Another item to add to the list of atrocities.

1 Like

I wonder whether they have sufficient storage space to store those lists

Gaza casualty figure has passed 27,000. It’s beyond atrocious that there’s a thousand deaths in every 5-6 days.

On a less sinister note, some news outlets (France 24, Al Jazeera) are stating that Hamas wants some senior political figures freed as part of any future prisoner exchange deal.

27000 people have died and Gaza is being razed

im not a student of war, but at what point do Hamas stop trying to negotiate prisoner exchanges and just release the people they have?

i assume the reason is we have gone beyond that and Isreal is going to destroy Gaza either way…

in which case, in Laymans terms… why doesnt Isreal just agree to any prisoner exchange deal offered so long as the Hamas leaders they release go into Gaza?

i realise this is very basic level, but its more a question along the lines of what has to happen for this to end…

Hamas is trying to parley the hostages toward survival as an entity. Israel under Netanyahu is determined to annihilate Hamas, and are quite willing to see the hostages die as a consequence. A ceasefire is not actually in Netanyahu’s interest, so any additional conditions that Hamas demands for release of hostages just helps Netanyahu’s political problem.

4 Likes

Since a long time, I’ve felt that Netanyahou’s and Hamas’ interests are a perfect match.

2 Likes

All news outlets are stating that Hamas has indeed included Marwan Barghouti in any potential prisoner exchange deal.

1 Like

Was really surprised to hear ‘Israeli invasion’ and Israeli occupation’ in a Japanese channel.

2 Likes

I don’t see Bibi agreeing to any swap deal. He thinks of that as being a strong leader. Any swap deal would only serve (in his eyes) to make him look weak.

https://twitter.com/PalestineRCS/status/1753672467770421329?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1753672467770421329|twgr^c1e5628578cf18e6a3019baf75896ccc9f77369f|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2Flive%2F2024%2Ffeb%2F02%2Fus-begins-wave-of-airstrikes-retaliating-for-drone-attack-that-killed-three-american-soldiers-live

:broken_heart::pray::palms_up_together:

1 Like

Yeah right, it’s the Israelis who are in dire need of help :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Why even bother to have a vote ?

1 Like

The legislative tactic here is to strip away the issue the White House is trying to push (Ukraine), and the issue that the Republicans have decided to use rather than be constructive on (migrant surge at the border). The vote is the point. Anyone who doesn’t support it gets labelled as supporting terrorism, and the ability to construct a cross-cutting majority on either of the other two issues is compromised.

2 Likes

I get your point. But Israel and Ukraine occupies two different psychological/rhetoric space in US politics.

An IDF psychological warfare unit ran a Telegram channel targeting Israeli audience without approval. The army initially denied involvement, but an internal investigation following Haaretz exposé revealed its involvement.

Reversing an earlier denial, Israeli military officials have admitted that the Telegram channel 72 Virgins – Uncensored was operated by members of a department of the Israel Defense Forces’ Operations Directorate.

Scum.

fuck noooooooooo. we already have too many people coming to this country every year that have no homes to live in, reliant on social assistance.

Blinken on his fifth visit in four months. What’s the point (aside from contributing to Global Warming)?

1 Like