The Middle East Thread

Is Israel even looking at the global perception of them ?

Netanyahu and Co have a lot to answer for.

Given that the UN GA passes umpteen numbers of condemnations of Israel every year, I suspect Israel is somewhat accustomed to being a pariah at some level - and may not be attuned to the sea shift in perception that is going on. Some Jews I know here are living in a MAGA-esque information bubble filled with accusations against UNRWA, Qatar, and Hamas where the idea of Israel being uniquely persecuted is constantly reinforced in social media - I have actually muted a couple whom a year ago carried more about the Montreal Canadiens than anything else on social media.

1 Like

Typical whining @$. Imagine that the petals don’t feel safe because of a peaceful protest outside a stadium and they want the club to shut it down (no doubt leaning into the fascist Israeli powers they presume they are entitled to exert with the magic word ‘anti-semitism’) or they won’t go back to the stadium ever again!

15 children are among the first confirmed victims of hunger, health officials say

I’m surprised this story hasnt got attention here

The NYT published an expose on the “facts” behind the stories of how Hamas used sexual violence as a core weapon in their Oct7 attacks. Once published it was almost immediately revealed that while the first name on the byline was legit, two of the 3 names on the byline were not only not experienced investigative journalists whose impartiality was unimpeachable, a criterion you would think would be essential for such a sensitive story that has already exploded into controversy amid back and forth between the two sides, they were not even journalists at all. One was even a former IDF soldier with a history of open rabid anti-palestine racist sentiment.

Important context to this is that in recent years the Times has taken heat for their controversial take that they cannot maintain objectivity in reporting if “activists” are part of the reporting team, or even used as sources for stories. This has meant that women who have experience sexual abuse were barred from reporting on me too stories, with some even being let go for them engaging on social media about the issue. It means anyone with a non-binary or trans family member was excluded from these stories while religious zealots campaigning to ban all forms of gender affirming care were used as central characters to frame that side of the story. It has been a policy of imposed bias in the face of claiming “objectivity”, yet a rabidly racist former IDF soldier with no journalistic experience at all was allowed a byline on the most explosive story possible?

This Semafor pieces tries to put the practice employed in incorporating these two other names in the context of how top level reporting, especially for international correspondents, has long worked, and also pushes back against some of the seemingly wildest criticisms of the piece and how it was put together. However, it still leaves wide berth for stringent criticism of the times making its credibility in the matter pretty much impossible to hold up.

1 Like

Fuckwits :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I think it’s important to note that while the protesters can protest against Israeli occupation of Gaza and for Palestinian freedom and intelligence , too often are these protests hijacked by people with vested interests calling for Israel to not exist etc etc.

I think the organizers of the protests would do well to distinguish between the two and avoid entanglement with the latter bunch. Namely because they do a lot of harm to the Palestinian cause.

There’s a difference between people taking stances against Israel and especially their actions AND expressing views against the existence of the state.

UNRWA addressed every demonstrable concern specific to employees, and so far there isn’t much evidence to support the alleged vast conspiracy. The fact that there is interpenetration is both known and inevitable given the population/location, but as an institution there isn’t much UNRWA can do - particularly with regard to unsupported claims.

1 Like

I think Canada (and the other Western donors) should have waited for credible evidences before suspending their contributions. It’s just not about innocent until proven guilty, they knew the dire consequence of their suspension would have.

3 Likes

Hmm, so the West (along with its Arab proxies) and Israel has realized that the Idiot isn’t useful anymore :laughing:.

1 Like

We don’t get to hear from Palestinian leaders (because most of them are jailed), Mustafa Barghouti (no relation to Marwan Barghouti) is another person (along side Hanan Ashrawi) who combines passion with realism. Watch the portion between 15-17 mins.

3 Likes

I like him. He calls a spade a spade, and comes across as a genuine statesman. The fact that he stands in for non-violent resistance is admirable, considering the barrage of violence the Palestinians are facing in their daily lives, since such a long time.

Is he now free, or still in a prison? Do you know? This interview would suggest that he has been set free?

2 Likes

Yes, he is free and has been for a while. I have watched several of his interviews since Oct 7.

Holy fucking shit :exploding_head:, it’s been five months already :sob:.

I think all of us foresaw the carnage we are witnessing, but did we expect it to last this long?

And no end in sight.

I did. But that’s me having no faith in humanity.

1 Like

So how long before Israel say it is being used to arm Hamas and they blow it up?

Sounds more like a political stunt to save Biden’s bacon in November than it does a practical idea to alleviate a famine that has already taken hold and that is killing people now.

1 Like

You could be right. When it comes to politics, nothing surprises me how low people will stoop to keep their grip on power.

But I also would not be surprised if Israel blew it up just for the sake of being pricks towards palestinians that are desperate for any assistance in getting aid into Gaza

1 Like

Agencies can’t get enough aids inside Gaza and distribute it throughout the region due to numerous obstacles by Israel. How does a port solve that problem?

Just like their airdrops, this is another comedy to convince the world that they care.

1 Like