The Middle East Thread

The massive problem is at the border crossings - specifically that the flows from both borders are so restricted. A port would help with that. Distribution would still be a problem but an alarming percentage of the population has now been pushed with 5km of the Egyptian border, distribution is not the critical problem.

The fact that the US needs to take this step is borderline humiliating. The Biden White House must be thoroughly fed up with Netanyahu

Hamas controls the illegal smuggling from Egypt to Gaza. Making money out of whichever items are smuggled in. Israel doesn’t allow a lot of items into Gaza so the Gazans rely extensively on the tunnel network to get produce.

US opening a port in theory could mean that more countries dock their ships with supplies there , allowing goods to come in bypassing the need to go through Hamas’s tunnel network.

I think it’s a good decision albeit taken for a different reason.

There will be someone who can distribute the aid.

There won’t be a problem finding drivers etc IF and when the bombing by Israel stops.

Israel ’s army said on Friday its initial probe into an incident that the Palestinian health authorities said left more than 100 Palestinians dead as crowds rushed an aid convoy, found troops “fired precisely” at approaching suspects, reports Agence France-Presse (AFP).

:laughing:

:roll_eyes:

It’s not just Bibi that is a cunt; Israelis deserve the blame too - they elected him and support him. This is the calibre of people that live in that country. They are scum:

(From article)
**But these activists said the looming famine was the price Gazans must pay for the October 7 terrorist attacks, in which 1,200 Israelis died.

“None of the people of Gaza, no-one is innocent,” protester Galit Ohayon said.

"I’m not happy about people dying but I think it’s a leverage that we have.

“So if there are kids dying, babies dying, people starving, they need to also do something to help themselves. So, give up Hamas.”**

1 Like

Sadly that what happens when people are feed lies, hatred and fear over years.

Persecution has become part of their national identity unlike any other, and has been weaponised by their politicians.

As a kid, I wondered how the German people could ever align themselves with something evil with the Nazis. I could not comprehend it as intrinsically I believe most people are good. When I say how hatred, fear and blame could be used in Brexit. I finally understood.

I don’t blame Israelis, as much as I detest many views held. I see them as gullible. Taken in by their leaders and media.

3 Likes

I have met (online) only a handful of Israelis in my life. Imagine my surprise when I found even those born in the 60s and 70s consider even West Bank as their land and consider the Palestinians as squatters.

The Arabs constitute about 20% of Israel population, together with the leftists (even at their dwindling worst) they can be a serious political block and a potential king-maker.

1 Like

“Even if there is a humanitarian crisis … and there is not.”

As crazy as that statement sounds , it’s not actually that surprising. Since the beginning of the war I have watched the Israeli cable news channel I 24 almost nightly. Despite the recent slide into famine and the worldwide outrage at the pictures now coming out of Gaza , they never even mention it.

https://youtu.be/kPufjVdwAjE?si=1wQ5_MRY-sjxTnRj

2 Likes

It’s just like the Russian media. War? What war?

1 Like

In this instance these Israelis are flat out calling for the starvation of children and babies and backing this up by stopping food aid getting through. They absolutely cannot be absolved of blame.

4 Likes

I think the biggest sin for the Israelis is the fact that they don’t live in countries like North Korea, China, Russia, or Iran, they have the power to change the situation, and they have been failing since 1967 (region’s only democracy :roll_eyes:). I mean, you can be fooled for a year or five, you can be fooled for a generation maybe, but 57 fucking years?

3 Likes

Yep, not even a figleaf of pretense that it is anything but collective punishment

4 Likes

Israelis are only looking at the attacks done by Hamas and other outfits without looking at their role in ensuring that these terrorist outfits have thrived in the first place.

I agree. But let’s not forget that they hopefully don’t represent the opinion of a majority of people in Israel. These are extremists lusting for blood, and all such people in all camps deserve nothing but scorn, and can’t be absolved of blame indeed.

It’s true that the outspoken so far have been the rightwing nutcases who I suppose would be the minority

All the more pertinent that the saner Israelis make their voices heard. Now more than ever.

Yeah, I think it’s important we dont confuse the opposition to Bibi for an opposition to his general policy direction. Israeli politics has moved significantly in the last 15 years or so and Bibi’s rightward shift (albeit, he was always a cunt) is as much a response to that as a cause of it. I think one of the biggest obstacles to diplomatic progress is the US’ ossified view of who israel is as a partner and so no not recognizing that its not just not that Bibi is not someone to work with, but that the country he leads isnt the same one as they became familiar with from earlier in their careers.

Israel is a very dynamic country given its reliance on immigration. What leads to is a selection bias for who goes there at what time and so one of the things we’ve seen over the past 15 years or so is people moving there specifically to get their share of the settlements. That impacts the internal dynamics of their politics. In ways that probably true of any other country, the israel of the 60s isnt the israel of the 00s, and that is not the israel of the present day. At its founding it consciously avoided developing a formal constitution and that means its political direction is even more susceptible to swings like this because it was a country that was formed in a paradox (democracy vs a home for jews) and it never got around to trying to reconcile those things so it doesnt really have a center to anchor itself to to prevent these sorts of swings.

1 Like

King of Saudi Arabia marks start of Ramadan with call for end to ‘heinous crimes’ in Gaza

Fuck off. The world would be a better place without blights like you.

4 Likes