The Middle East Thread

Land grabs will continue no matter what the Palestinians do. If they fight, if they co-operate, if they are diplomatic, if they are belligerent, the end result is the same.

4 Likes

Yeah. I agree.

But I do think an element of Palestinian reprisal would make Israel act even more harshly than it already (unreasonably) is.

It’s gone bonkers there now with no one left to check the rabble rousers and lunatics.

The western powers ought to be ashamed of themselves, allowing genocide to happen under their noses and all through fear of being labelled antisemitic.

4 Likes

Probably the only question Israel is asking the Palestinians is , do you want to lose your lives AND your land ? Or is it just the land.

1 Like

Explaining Guyana’s abstention, the South American country’s representative Carolyn Rodrigues-Birkett said: “Contrary to media reports, this resolution does not call for an immediate ceasefire.”

She also added the demand that a ceasefire should not be linked to or conditioned on the release of hostages. “Two wrongs cannot make a right and the Palestinian people should not be collectively punished and themselves held hostage for the crimes of others.

“If one were to read this resolution without background knowledge, it would be difficult to ascertain which party in this conflict is committing the atrocities in Gaza – atrocities which necessitated this draft resolution being put forward. In a resolution of 41 paragraphs, 2,036 words, the occupying power is mentioned once in the penultimate paragraph.”

Nailed it :guyana: :clap:

1 Like

Agreed that the ceasefire should happen irregardless of the hostage situation.

But the point is that the Israeli hostages are in Palestinian lands(and Palestinans jailed/held hostage by Israel). If we go by the rationale behind Guyana’s abstention , that would mean there is no guarantee on the release of hostages (from both sides). The Israeli govt will not accept any situation where there’s no guarantee on the release of hostages ane neither would Hamas

Wasn’t the release of the Palestinian hostages one of the key aims for Hamas’s acts in the first place ? This abstention by Guyana , while it makes a valid moral point , isn’t something that can logically be enforced.

I don’t see anything wrong in there being a ceasefire conditional to the release of hostages. The onus is for Hamas to decide at what time the enforced punishment of Palestinians (of which they themselves are party to) proves counterproductive to them.

And for all Israel holding the people of Gaza hostage , Hamas is guilty of doing the same as well. Keep Israel accountable , but make sure Hamas is accountable as well.

1 Like

The way I see the resolution, it’s more like a ceasefire in exchange of release of Israeli hostages; not a ceasefire and a prisoner exchange. The news reports and analysis I have read don’t explicitly mention the Palestinian hostages.

Also, if you tie the release of hostages with the ceasefire, Israel can break it anytime claiming that hostages aren’t being released. The November ceasefire broke for this very reason although Hamas and the negotiators insisted that Hamas needs time to locate more hostages.

David Miliband of the International Rescue Committee said this week. He noted the way that Israel’s ban on “dual use” items, those things that could be used as weapons if they fell into the hands of Hamas, means that even the inclusion of a simple pair of scissors for a clinic can result in an entire truckful of aid being turned back.

Cunts :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

There won’t be any interest from Israel on a ceasefire without hostages being released. Hamas seemed to think that Israel would just stand down and negotiate for the release of the Israeli hostages when they had made the attack as Israel had done in the past. Hamas behaves in this negotiations as if it’s having the upper hand when they should be looking at the ground reality of how many Palestinians have died after Oct 7th.

Eventually , What this draft agreement by USA has shown is that Israel’s terms for the ceasefire are there in the open. Linked to the release of the hostages. The matter won’t be decided on the UNSC anytime soon and Biden can go and blame Russia/China for the ceasefire not happening.

That’s problem at the moment. Both the sides are at maximalist positions.

If the rumors are true, the negotiators in Doha are very close to an agreement.

I’ve heard Biden say that a week before the beginning of Ramzan and there’s been no progress on that front at all.

True. But there’s a difference this time. Previously, the Mosad chief acted/negotiated according to the brief by Netanyahu. This time he has been given sweeping authority to negotiate and is unlikely to consider Netanyahu’s political future.

I’m optimist, it’s so bleak without hope.

Depends on whether Hamas is willing to negotiate on their positions.

Good read from RTE: West Bank paying heavy toll while focus is on Gaza

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0323/1439489-middle-east-analysis/

I don’t see this current situation changing ever w.r.t mindset. The hatred has become entrenched in the population.

“We know the solution for the refugees, we know more or less where the border will be, if you take our Geneva Initiative of 2003 [a draft permanent settlement agreement based on previous negotiations], you have a full solution with 500 pages of very boring annexes on every issue from water to whatever, and you have the Clinton parameters of the [Camp David talks of] 2000 which will be the general ideas for a solution. So we don’t have to start from scratch.”

He adds: “The question is whether on both sides you are going to have people who are committed to the two-state solution, rather than asking for excuses why not to do it, and whether they are ready to risk their lives, knowing what happened to some of the peacemakers in the last generation.”

a very pertinent point in the above article.

There seems to be more interest in the two-state solution the further the you get away from the region.

I find it truly bizarre that the US can back Israel with billions, intelligence, trade etc

Yet Israel is openly treating the US (its primary allay) with contempt. It one thing to tell the international community to fuck off. Israel enjoys the political theatre and the insulation its them against the world.

It’s another to undermine your closest ally. Before the shit hits the fan (ie we get to a point no one can deny genocide) the best thing the US could do is condemn Israel and withdrawal all support.

4 Likes