The Middle East Thread

2 Likes

:rofl:

Like anyone doesnā€™t know that :roll_eyes:, and donā€™t forget to mention UAE either.

1 Like

Youā€™d be surprised. You and many others on here are relatively plugged-in to geopolitical developments, but itā€™s not necessarily common knowledge elsewhere, especially with the amount of marketing they do.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Excellent interview that one. :+1:

I retain the term ā€˜non-zionistā€™, which isnā€™t the same as ā€˜anti-zionistā€™. People who were non-zionists at the time could already see the potential problems coming with the creation of a Jewish state in British Palestine. Itā€™s a pity that they werenā€™t listened to.

2 Likes

Sounds like prime Pravda or Peoples Daily :roll_eyes:

1 Like

How can you not use the word Palestine?

1 Like

Israel war-cabinet has met five times since the Iranian attack. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a good or a bad sign.

I think a bad sign. They are going to attack and risk further escalation. The Iranian response to Israel killing the generals was calculated, but the actual casualties were minimal, and unfortunate. Iran went out of its way to try to show a deterrence but not risk escalating.

I think their calculus was spot onā€¦ for normal times under a normal leader.

Netanyahu changes things, unfortunately, as he is spoiling for a major fight with Iran.

1 Like

Good to see there are people brave enough to release this memo about what we already knew about NYT.

1 Like

Is this the way The West works? Israel has carte blanche to kill military leaders wherever they see fit, then when there is retaliation suddenly Israel believes in the UN overnight and The West think about sanctions.

Utter hypocrisy. Fuck all of us.

4 Likes

Why does it surprise you? Isnā€™t the indulgence of The West (and for decades) at the root of all atrocities by Israel? This is the norm, this isnā€™t an exception.

I know that the average Westerners arenā€™t aware of (or even interested in) the geopolitical dynamics. But the writer being an Human Rights activist, she must be in regular contact with the Western leadership and knows that they are aware of the happenings inside Saudi Arabia.

Speaking to reporters in Israel, the UKā€™s foreign secretary David Cameron has said ā€œItā€™s clear the Israelis are making a decision to act,ā€ and that ā€œWe hope they do so in a way that does as little to escalate this as possible.ā€

:roll_eyes:

Dorsa Jabbari, reporting from Tehran for Al Jazeera, has some extra detail on how Iranā€™s army day has been broadcast in Iran. She writes:

The Iranian president Ebrahim Raisi spoke two hours ago but his words were not broadcast live. What weā€™ve seen over the past few minutes is a videotaped feed of the presidentā€™s speech. The event in the past was held outside Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeiniā€™s mausoleum in Tehran. But because of security concerns, it was moved to a military base east of the capital this year.

ā€œWestern leadershipā€?

Also, isnā€™t that precisely the point, that sheā€™s educating people through the feature on whatā€™s happening in Saudi Arabia?

1 Like

Agreed. An article in the Guardian is most possibly targeted at the general audience.

I really thought the Kurds (Syrian Democratic Forces) would be different.

There are lots of stakeholders here in the US content to pretend the Iranian actions were unprovoked. You could watch hours of US news footage talking about it without ever having heard the word ā€œembassyā€ once.

1 Like

Humans acting like cunts, and this surprises you?

tv land awww GIF by Throwing Shade

2 Likes