The Middle East Thread

An exhaustive look here at the options for a post-conflict Gaza ;

2 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

https://x.com/prem_thakker/status/1820512918200303858?s=46&t=wYI1UQq4Zm7qgLRSA8YMdw

The most disturbing aspect of this, is that there is not protests on the streets of Israel.

Horrible things happen in war. Mistakes happen. Heat of moment, self defence etc. War crimes often rationalised because they are the enemy. A plane dropping a bomb is somewhat detached, civilian losses caught in crossfire.

However systematic dehumanising abuse is a clear line in the ethics of war. It’s why the photos taken in Iraq prison by US soldiers were so shocking. It’s barbaric, and undermines legitimacy of actions. Systematic crimes being performed with impunity or worse under orders.

The mental gymnastics to ignore or rationalise twisted acts of evil akin to a psycho kid burning animals with a magnifying glass is horrifying.

4 Likes

Feels as though the people who would protest have already been locked up or otherwise ostracised from society. Wasn’t there something from the start of the war where anti-war protesters were getting arrested?

1 Like

Yes, several people lost their jobs, among them professors at universities, and a lot of protesters on the street were arrested as well. Let’s face it, Israel have said good-bye to democracy and are now a dictatorship, at least as long as the far right around Netanyahou remains in power.

That being said, a lot of people continue to protest against the government, even though the motives for wanting Netanyahou removed isn’t war crimes in Gaza or pity for the Palestinians, but the fact that he hasn’t been able to get back the hostages, and his general impopularity which predates the latest war.

1 Like

A very specific window, which indicates that it might be a bad night (or interesting if you are Chinese).
https://x.com/Faytuks/status/1821223149167329772

When the fuck did it happen :man_facepalming:

Indeed.Haniyeh was a legitimate target in every possible way, but that does not mean it is wise or prudent to kill him and certainly not when he is in Iran at a presidential inaugeration.

Israel could have killed him in Qatar whenever they wanted. They killed him in Iran to provoke something which would not have been provoked if he had been killed in Qatar. Worth noting, I think.

That having been said, I personally think it is perfectly fine that he is dead and has been killed, but you cannot think about such matters in that kind of vacum. Israel certainly weighted the consequences of it and they may have succeeded given that Sinwar is now also the political leader of Hamas and they also succeeded in completely humiliating Iran and Hezbollah. Fact is, as I saidd months ago, ISR has been training to invade Lebanon for more than half a year now. So Hezzbollah and Iran must be cautious in their response to not play into the hands of the Israeli security cabinet. Give them a Casus Belli, and, well, with politics being what it is in israel, they’ll use it.

1 Like

I mean, I want Putin dead. But I don’t want Ukraine to kill him and I don’t want a NATO country to kill him. Because consequences.

I heard about the Haniyeh assassination and waiting for the fallout. I’m shocked because Hamas put Sinwar in charge. I hoped someone moderate, like Khaled Mashal.

1 Like

Mashal is out of the organisation and hasn’t been near power for a while. Iran does not accept him after broke with Assad. Iran pushed for Sinwar, who is the leader closest to Iran and is completely Shaheed this and that. Grim. All of it is grim. Internet is full of bizarre fan boys saying “haha, Netanyahu will regret this, now real man Sinwar is in charge”, totally disregarding the consequences for actual Palestinians. Sinwar is the largest albatross I can think of tbh.

2 Likes

What’s the chances Iran attacks Israel tonight?

Guessing it’s because they have no skin in the game.

3 Likes

Moderately high, I would say. That NOTAM is very specific.

1 Like

Don’t the Israelis have some kind of treaty with Qatar now after the Abrams Accords ? The entire Hamas leadership is based there but they haven’t struck there yet.

Sure, they have deals, but it would still be FAR less of an escalation than killing him in Iran in the manner they did. That man was traveling around in public and has been for years. If I wanted to kill someone, I would probably not kill them in a way that humiliated and forced their ally to strike me with ballistic missiles if I had not calculated that it could be a good thing for me strategically further down the line…

… and that’s precisely why they did. :wink:

The advance warning to the Egyptians suggests that Iran hasn’t taken the bait and will respond in a calibrated and cautious manner like they did in April after the Damascus embassy bombing.

What’s your sources saying? Will it be another attack like last time where Iran fires rockets just to say “look, we fired rockets but the iron dome / US shot them down” or will this be a much more direct attack by Iran and their proxy’s?

1 Like

I don’t follow anyone who actually dares say that, but an ex-CIA expert i follow claims that there is rum-int (which is rumour intelligence so not reliable) that Hezbollah is irritated at Iran because Iran, according to this rum-int, wants a lesser response than what Hezbollah envisoned and that hezbollah might make some solo-escalation because of it. The initial intelligence was that Iran would strike massively, far, far larger strike than in April.Still in all likelyhood going to be larger, but seems like they want to avoid war. They have, after all, waited for 9 days untill US air defences have been shipped into the region and at full alert, which again makes no sense if they wanted to do maximum damage.

'But I don’t know. None of that is close to certain. Just informed speculation.

I kind of feel like Iran DOES NOT want a war. But they’re kind of putting themselves in a bad spot with their proxy’s. Israel and the US want a war to break out. Wonder if they’ll let a few rockets get through on purpose. Crazy times ahead.