The Music Thread

‘Ain’t got no time for Western lesson , I am Damo Suzuki.’ :wink:

For those who like jazzy French stuff , it would appear that Django Reinhardt is not entirely dead …

1 Like

And the real thing …

that sounds like the influences of a band called Postmodern Jukebox which I will listen to, from time to time

1 Like

That’s really rather good. There is a whole subgenre of swing covers of more modern songs.

This is a similar idea covering Motörhead’s Ace Of Spades:

This is actually just a continuation of a long Jazz tradition of reinterpretation. Louis Armstong constantly reinterpreted show tunes and one of my favourite Jazz alums is John Coltranes “Favourite Things” which takes popular songs from musicals (the title track is from The Sound Of Music) and takes them on a musical stream of consciousness.

I’m constantly tidying up around here…

Your links are dead! :see_no_evil:

Yeah, dead good. I know. Thank you.

They have suddenly appeared! :+1:

What is this, and where have they been my whole life. This is a vibe.

Texas? What the fuuuuuuuuck I am so confused

3 Likes
1 Like

There were a few good tunes in the 1970s.

3 Likes

@Maria there’s a whole sub-genre of music that’s now classified as “yacht rock” and that song definitely falls into that category.

SiriusXM has channel 311 dedicated to it.

Spotify as well - Yacht Rock - playlist by Spotify | Spotify

1 Like

Love these guys, the drummer is amazing, and the bass player has such a funky tone she inspired me to start playing the bass :slight_smile:

Their collaboration with Leon Bridges is cool too.

1 Like

Just looked that up on Wikipedia. Apparently it is coined from a mockumentary series about late 70’s soft rock music. I rather liked this pithy quote describing Yacht Rock as:

endlessly banal, melodic and inoffensive, fit to be piped into Macy’s changing rooms

Actually I rather like quite a few of the acts although, if you were subjected to it all day long, I would imagine you would have to plug yourself into some extreme death metal as a purgative.

I came across this when I was idly browsing. It’s the Allman Brothers doing a live cover version of Jimi Hendrix’s 1983(A Merman I Should Turn To Be). It’s possibly my favourite Hendrix track but I don’t think he ever performed it live. I think it’s rather good - as meandering as you would imagine (about half an hour long) and often sounding more Allmans then Hendrix, but then that’s probably how it should be.

1 Like

Was There A Better Decade For Music Than This - Long Live The 80’s :0)

6 Likes

Is that Adelaide?

Looks like a whole lot of rugby league. Think NSW or QLD; it’s not played in SA. I was a Canberra Raiders supporter back pre superleague, ask @Rooster about it as I surmise that he’s an East’s fan.

1 Like

I thought it was just a case of cocaine costing too much in Aus so everybody was banging speed, and naturally, great music followed: