The Music Thread

What is this, and where have they been my whole life. This is a vibe.

Texas? What the fuuuuuuuuck I am so confused

3 Likes
1 Like

There were a few good tunes in the 1970s.

3 Likes

@Maria there’s a whole sub-genre of music that’s now classified as “yacht rock” and that song definitely falls into that category.

SiriusXM has channel 311 dedicated to it.

Spotify as well - Yacht Rock - playlist by Spotify | Spotify

1 Like

Love these guys, the drummer is amazing, and the bass player has such a funky tone she inspired me to start playing the bass :slight_smile:

Their collaboration with Leon Bridges is cool too.

1 Like

Just looked that up on Wikipedia. Apparently it is coined from a mockumentary series about late 70’s soft rock music. I rather liked this pithy quote describing Yacht Rock as:

endlessly banal, melodic and inoffensive, fit to be piped into Macy’s changing rooms

Actually I rather like quite a few of the acts although, if you were subjected to it all day long, I would imagine you would have to plug yourself into some extreme death metal as a purgative.

I came across this when I was idly browsing. It’s the Allman Brothers doing a live cover version of Jimi Hendrix’s 1983(A Merman I Should Turn To Be). It’s possibly my favourite Hendrix track but I don’t think he ever performed it live. I think it’s rather good - as meandering as you would imagine (about half an hour long) and often sounding more Allmans then Hendrix, but then that’s probably how it should be.

1 Like

Was There A Better Decade For Music Than This - Long Live The 80’s :0)

6 Likes

Is that Adelaide?

Looks like a whole lot of rugby league. Think NSW or QLD; it’s not played in SA. I was a Canberra Raiders supporter back pre superleague, ask @Rooster about it as I surmise that he’s an East’s fan.

1 Like

I thought it was just a case of cocaine costing too much in Aus so everybody was banging speed, and naturally, great music followed:

Saw the Chats live a few years ago, a mate got a ticket for a tenner. Was a decent gig.

Not Adelaide. Great video though of all the NRL Rugby League punch ons which is predominantly played in Sydney and Brisbane.

This is:

1 Like

For all Stranglers fans out there, this is what seems to be a previously unseen video from their early days.

What a year this could be, winning the premiership and few other cups and pearl jam releasing their new album. As good as it gets imho

1 Like

80’s music is my guilty pleasure,i guess the fact i grew up in it is probably the reason.

It spawned so many new genres and good tunes across most styles from rock to rap,dance to pop,i cant remember an era before or since that comes close to it for those reasons.

Im not saying it had the best ever music in certain genres but across the board its a hard era to beat.

I heard this on the radio in the car the other day and it took me right back,its not my type of music but its a classic and probably one of many cheesey one hit wonders from the 80s.

4 Likes

I grew up on 80s music too and love so much of it for nostalgic reason. I do notice these days that it sounds fixed in its decade far more than 60s/70s music and 90s music. I’ve always speculated that is because it was the first era digital technology came into recording - along with synthesizers and drum machines. By the 90s that technology had advanced so it wasn’t as easily identifiable, while the analog 70s matches all the retro throwback music that still gets made today.

4 Likes

am currently into Yacht Rock mode. it’s so cheesy it’s good.