The Music Thread

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds unveil ‘joyous’ new album Wild Gold

Story by BANG Showbiz

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds unveil ‘joyous’ new album Wild Gold

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have unveiled their new album, ‘Wild God’, and shared the title track.

The 66-year-old star’s music can often be dark and melancholy, but fans can expect a “deeply and joyously infectious” batch of songs that reflect their happiness.

Cave said of the follow-up to 2019’s ‘Ghosteen’: “I hope the album has the effect on listeners that it’s had on me.

“It bursts out of the speaker, and I get swept up with it. It’s a complicated record, but it’s also deeply and joyously infectious. There is never a masterplan when we make a record. The records rather reflect back the emotional state of the writers and musicians who played them. Listening to this, I don’t know, it seems we’re happy.”

A press release read: “Across ten tracks, the band dance between convention and experimentation, taking left-turns and detours that heighten the rich imagery and emotion in Cave’s soul-stirring narratives.It is the sound of a group emboldened by re-connection and taking flight. There are moments that touch fondly upon the Bad Seeds’ past but they are fleeting, and serve only to imbue the relentless and restless forward motion of the band.”

As well as the Bad Seeds, Colin Greenwood plays bass and Luis Almau the nylon string guitar and acoustic guitar.

Nick said: “Wild God…there’s no [redacted] around with this record. When it hits, it hits. It lifts you. It moves you. I love that about it.”

‘Wild God’ will be released on Bad Seed in partnership with Play It Again Sam on streaming, CD, and standard and limited edition vinyl on August 30.

The track listing is:

1. ‘Song of the Lake’

2. ‘Wild God’

3. ‘Frogs’

4. ‘Joy’

5. ‘Final Rescue Attempt’

6. ‘Conversion’

7. ‘Cinnamon Horses’

8. ‘Long Dark Night’

9. ‘O Wow O Wow (How Wonderful She Is)’

10. ‘As the Waters Cover the Sea’

1 Like

Nick Cave and Joyous are words I personally never thought I would see in a sentence together :rofl:

2 Likes

I would say their last passable album was dance of death.

Dont even remember the names of the albums post AMOLAD

Right now , Its a struggle to get through two songs of maiden back to back. And I absolutely love quite a lot of Iron Maiden albums. They’ve just become way too monotonous for me.

There’s a Q&A interview with Rob Halford in The Guardian. Always an interesting guy to hear from.

2 Likes

I always have periods when I don’t listen to bands that I absolutely love, it’s natural for me. There are times when I don’t listen to Maiden for months and then I listen to them for weeks. However, I tend to prioritise new music (both in terms of recent release date and music that might be old but I haven’t heard previously) and Maiden don’t really say anything new with their music in the last ten to fifteen years, unfortunately…

1 Like

Just a small update: yeah, the new Priest record absolutely slaps!!!

1 Like

Just sticking it on. Oddly enough I was listening to Rocka Rolla yesterday. I don’t think I’d ever listened to it before aside from the title track. It’s actually OK but not very Priest as we know them. Are there any earlier recordings? Bootlegs or whatever?

Not that I know… I know that band practically disowned that album at one point because the record company heavily interfered with the recording. Then they responded by releasing the album that I’ve probably listened to the most out of all albums in the world, aside from October Rust.

You think of Priest as arriving as a complete package but both the sound and aesthetic took time to develop.

This is what they looked like just before Halford joined in 1973:
d72d59cf350eed57069242c8e444331f

It’s kind of a late-60s hippy vibe rather than the whole Metal Gods thing.

That’s ace! I can recognise Ian Hill and I hope that the blond guy is K.K. but not the other two. I know that they were really into blues, especially Tipton, but I still don’t know when they decided to pursure a heavier, aggressive tone as opposed to hippy thing.

The guy with the big afro was Chris Campbell, the drummer (I think they’ve had more drummers than Spinal Tap!) and the other guy was Al Atkins, the original singer.

I think this was their first TV performance on The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975 with Halford singing but not yet with the whole studded leather look:

1 Like

Holy fuck I’m halfway through it right now there is some heavy shit going down on this record.

Neighbour complaints shortly.

1 Like

I still find this performance funny because of the way they look with and instruments they played but there’s nothing funny about that sound… You could hear that they would be immense even then. This in particular, since Sad Wings of Destiny is one of the most important albums in my life:

4 Likes

I am getting dragged along to an Avril Lavigne outdoor concert in july, quite excited otherwise i wouldn’t mention it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Fixed for conspiratorial accuracy :rofl:

Good read above with Rob Halford. He seems like a thoughtful fella, talented and humble too. Metal has never really been my thing but I enjoyed listening to the Judas Priest links, cheers. Really good musicians.

3 Likes

I am leaving everything behind to join this band. You know where to reach me.

3 Likes

Remember kids ; when you think your toys have gone berserk , it’s just an illusion.

3 Likes

They’re one of my favourite bands.

2 Likes