The Music Thread

Talking about the 1980s, anyone remember this one?

5 Likes

Saw the mighty Norman Jay MBE last night with Roni Size supporting.
Brilliant party. I amazed myself by dancing for three hours without chemical stimulants.
Used to go to High on Hope and his nights at the BassClef and, of course, Carnival.
Many highlights including a storming mash up of Tainted Love and Is This Love.
Wonderful :+1:t4:

@Maria

4 Likes

Rave on.

1 Like

Liam Gallagher and John Squire on Jonathon Ross last night.
Gallagher is a dick, and the song he sung is just a regurgitated Oasis number.

In other news, the sky is blue and grass is green :grin:

Wonderful! I used to listen to Norman Jay show on the BBC radio, brilliant DJ, I learned alot from the ‘The Funk Factory’. I loved Tainted Love, classic, if it wasn’t for Soft Cell, I wouldn’t have known about the Gloria Jones original.

1 Like

Congrats to Cillian Murphy for last night’s Best Actor award , and here he is also (if you listen closely ) guesting on the best track on The Coral’s last album.

1 Like

Read an article recently regarding something called Acid Jazz…

973 views 6 Jan 2024
Cillian Murphy A Son Of Mr Green Genes 1997
Before he had a career in film, Cillian Murphy at the age of 19 played guitar and sang in a band.

Cillian sings and plays guitar in his band ‘Sons of Mr. Green Genes’, named after a Frank Zappa song.

Hilary Fennell describes the band’s music as

a blend of funk, rock, and hip-hop.

Cillian says his music is

not constrained by any formula.

Cillian sees his music as going beyond any kind of formulaic pop. He also speaks of the importance of musicianship over popular music.

Cillian went on to have a successful career in film, television, and theatre. His film credits include roles in ‘Disco Pigs’ (2001), ‘Intermission’ (2003), ‘Batman Begins’ (2005), ‘Breakfast on Pluto’ (2005), The Wind That Shakes the Barley (2006), The Dark Knight (2008), ‘Inception’ (2010), Transcendence (2014) and Anthropoid (2016).

2 Likes

it’s on my “synth n stuff” playlist. nice!

1 Like

Just read the news.

First heard this on a flight to the States in the eighties.
It then turned up on jukebox in a ramshackle bar in the Florida panhandle where everything else was country. It was the anthem of my trip and still sounds great today.

Rip Karl

Three versions of the same song, all doing something different. The original by Black, with covers by Katie Melua, and Seeed. I enjoy them all in their own way, but the original is the one I’m listening to atm.

Graham Gouldman with the ‘Ultimate’ 10CC tour - Never knew Dermot Gallagher was in the band :0)

a very unique concert, this one. a group of radiohead fans taped a live concert from different perspectives in the crowd and approached the band with an idea to produce their own version of a full concert video. The band supplied the sound off their master board and this is the result:

I think it may have been partially influenced by the Beastie Boy’s project called “Awesome, I f***ing shot that” which you can find on some torrent sites.

3 Likes
1 Like

Very Zen. :yin_yang:

Speaking of the possibility of nuclear armageddon over in the Russia thread got me thinking back to a time not too long ago when that prospect seemed a distinct possibility. A couple of tracks here from a time when going to Glastonbury actually meant making a political statement.

1 Like

Back in the day they even had them in Eurovision such as this Finnish entry from 1982:

I think it translates as “Don’t you drop that neutron bomb on me.” It didn’t win. They had to enter a bunch of heavy metal singing mutant monsters for that.

That was the only Eurovision that I watched with interested and I even voted for them. So, that’s a 100% record for me!

1 Like
2 Likes

I haven’t listened to Beyonce’s new album, but I know it’s absolutely infuriating a lot of fat old men who keep telling me Stevie Ray Vaughan is a “genius” or whatever.

1 Like