The Music Thread

There was some very dodgy fuckers down there. :grimacing:

1 Like

I shared a spliff with Daddy G once. He was chill.

1 Like

The term was first used in '94 to describe DJ Shadow, but to me, it implied that mix of hip hop beats, scratching, soundtracks, moodiness etc encapsulated in Dummy.
Both awesome albums and still stand the test of time.

1 Like

to me, very similar vibe (this song above originally recorded 1991 debut album, just re-mastered). downtempo hip-hop beat, not quite as dark as Beth from Portishead.

I still think there’s a lot of this trip-hop influence found in reggae…as an example this GEM from Dawn Penn

1 Like

Bloody hell, man, you’re either one of my multiple personalities or this place is a support group for my kin… I’m not a big fan of trip hop but that particular song - and that particular version of it - enters my list of one of the best songs ever written and recorded. Everyone who says that popular songs cannot carry the most sincere emotional weight - they should listen to Roads and Hurt (in particular the version that Reznor plays on piano).

By the way, I don’t know if people are familiar with Faith No More’s live cover of Glory Box but it’s great, too. Then again, you’d have to be spectacularly bad to mess up such a song and FNM are everything but.

1 Like

Trendy Wendy you know what I mean…

Mezzanine is the masterpiece of the genre though, outstanding work of art and prescience.

Haha there really was, I lived in it, strange city, strange people. Didn’t make one Bristolian friend, just other migrants, the Welsh were an absolute godsend. :wales:

I quite liked Bristol, Gary Clail, Tackhead and The Barmy Army. :joy:
Had quite an interesting music scene, met producers, mixers and musicians.
One of my favorite cities however like most cities you needed to know the areas.
Like you know what I mean like! :rofl:

1 Like

I didn’t so much when I was there, tbh honest got more trouble from entitled white Bristolians, but I miss it now, would go back if not so expensive. Its super rich culturally, prob England 2nd city for that. I landed in the punk scene in Bristol, and they changed my taste in music! Love it, Portishead were connected but I never met them. I noticed they were not interested in Massive Attack and tbh, the city hasn’t embraced them. I heard they were a bit too underworld connected.

The bridge into Old Market which bears the graffiti "KUSH’ :joy: As if when you enter Bristol its that. Place stank of weed everywhere and this was back in 06-13.

1 Like
1 Like

never have the lyrics of Aenima by Tool felt more just, than these days. Glad I got to hear it live last fall.

And some say the end is near
Some say we’ll see Armageddon soon
I certainly hope we will
I sure could use a vacation from this
Stupid shit, silly shit, stupid shit

One great big festering neon distraction
I’ve a suggestion to keep you all occupied
Learn to swim, learn to swim, learn to swim
‘Cause Mom’s gonna fix it all soon
Mom’s comin’ 'round to put it back the way it ought to be

Learn to swim, learn to swim

2 Likes
1 Like

You don’t have to be weird to be weird.

3 Likes

What if Linkin Park wrote Somebody That I Used to Know in the early 2000’s?
The aim of this project is to showcase the power of all currently available AI tools in music production. Every available tool was used to imbue Gotye’s Somebody That I Used to Know, with the iconic sound of early 2000’s Linkin Park. @MrPooby1111 (10.8K subscribers)

Captures their year 2000 sound so well. It’s so good, yet terrifying at the same time.

That’s funny. Mate of mine send me this link to one of thos AI music generators, you can create pieces of songs for free, just using the prompt, played with it for a bit. We both agreed that half of the sort of rockish stuff ended up sounding a bit like Linkin Park ( with a bit of Nickelback thrown in).

My absolute disdain for nu metal aside, this has to be the best AI-generated cover/mash-up I’ve heard. Which, in a lot of ways, is frightening. I’m no expert on Linkin Park but I immediately recognised the elements from their popular songs, especially the rap vocals in the background and Bennington’s raspy high notes in the chorus. Had I heard it on the radio, I’d have had no questions about the authenticity and that is scary stuff indeed.

1 Like

I think it has to do with the rather formulaic, super over-produced nature of Linkin Park. And it has the song structure, melody etc from the Gotye song to hang onto. It’s impressive for an AI, but it still sounds like shit imo.

2 Likes

The same could be said of Nickelback. I was actually quite surprised when I found out how many songs they had released. I’d assumed it was just a handful.

1 Like

Exactly, which I thought it was so interesting that so much of stuff I tried out with that AI generator (the one I used didn’t allow for band names, just genres and descriptive adjectives) ended up sounding a bit like both those two bands (not what I personally intended or wanted to hear either).

Oh, that’s definitely true but I’m a still frightened that it’s so reminiscent of Linkin Park. The best AI efforts I’ve heard so far include Mr. Krabs signing Snuff by Slipknot or Metallica’s worst efforts being remixed in …And Justice for All fashion - but Linkin Park stuff was actually believable!