The Music Thread

Wasn’t sure whether to put this here or the RIP thread but Andy Rourke, Smiths bassist, has died.

I don’t think the Smiths did him any favours as he was later made bankrupt but are still one of the most influencial musicians of the 80s.

1 Like

:frowning_face:

Sad to hear that. Best band of the eighties by a mile.

Saw them at Guildford on the Meat Is Murder tour , and on the way back dropped in at the women’s peace camp at Greenham Common. Great night.

2 Likes

It’s all subjective; I thought they were pants.

1 Like

lol … give us your best band of the eighties then.

music video 80s GIF

Flock Off ! :grin:

My favourite band of the 80s was- and still is- Fields Of the Nephilim.

2 Likes

1 Like

Don’t know much of their catalogue but Moonchild is a favourite of mine

One good album but they couldn’t hold a candle to PE.

Can’t say I’m familiar with any of their stuff.

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Me and Shirley back in the day …

1 Like

Fair call, I actually prefer PE personally, but I always thought they were more 90’s, although I could be getting era’s and times mixed up

you are definitely getting them mixed up - NWA unfortunately was a two-album group until Eazy-E died. big influence on the scene, and individually those two main artists Dr Dre and Ice Cube changed the game completely.

1989 a number. Another Summer. I got to see Public Enemy live in Vancouver about 10yrs ago, they did their first two albums nearly front-to-back and so damned good.

for me, you simply cannot play this loud enough.

you simply can’t compare apples and oranges like that. so let’s break it down by genre - start with

Pop/New Wave

• The Smiths
  • Depeche Mode
  • Simple Minds
  • Duran Duran
  • Pet Shop Boys
  • Tears for Fears
  • The Cure

0 voters

Rock and Roll

• The Police
  • U2
  • R.E.M.
  • Dire Straits
  • INXS
  • Def Leppard
  • Bon Jovi
  • Stone Roses
  • The Cars
  • Van Halen
  • Radiohead

0 voters

You forgot to include The Fall. :wink:

Funnily enough, I love The Cure but couldn’t and still can’t their poppy, new wave albums - but I still voted for them! :joy:

1 Like

The Smiths had some good songs, but no great albums. The Cure had two great albums in the 80s.
Depeche Mode’s Violator was released in '91 so there’s that.

And there’s no Blondie or Siouxsie and The Banshees despite having more and better albums than in the 80s than the Pet Shop Boys did in their entire career.

Also Flock of Seagulls first album is genuinely great.