The Owners - FSG

The £200m cash reserve you mention is a credit facility, which we’ve already dipped into.

Blimey. They ought to have been able to predict Beta Covid, Delta Covid, Omicron Covid and exactly how effective vaccines would be? How soon spectators would be allowed back and in what capacities? If not they “aren’t the great businessman we know they are”?!

That would place them as not only great businessmen but also the world’s greatest (/most prescient) immunologists and epidemiologists.

You must lower your expectations, they are thoroughly unreasonable. If you don’t you will always be disappointed.

2 Likes

Yes we could have, well within FFP and for FSG to still be standing at a profit for their ownership period. Why save for a rainy day and not then be able to use it. We stand at a £50m loss for the two COVID years but £200m profit for the previous 3 years. Why could we have not declared a larger loss?

Even for an absolutely top end CB we’d be talking less than £20m outlay in that first financial year in wages (which had gone down) and any initial payments.

By the start of that financial year they should have been able to sit down and work out what deals would still be paid to us in full, if any were lower due to no live crowds, what we made from fans attending games etc. All of this would have been known and an accurate financial prediction should have been available to them by then even with fans not attending any games. Certainly by January more than half way through the financial year they should be aware where they stood.

The vaccines and variants are moot, during the financial year in question they’d have known the cost of not having fans in the stadium for that financial year and what that meant financially to our club and their business as a whole (keeping in mind our club is actually treated as a separate entity from their other concerns).

They don’t have to be. Unless you go for the option of keeping all the rest of the accounts 100% as they were and specifically trying to then pay for that player from those funds. We know that isn’t how it works.

That’ll be the Ozan Kabak we wouldn’t buy, wouldn’t loan if it was an obligation to buy instead of option and wouldn’t trigger that option? The one sitting on the bench at Norwich? I’m not sure why people think that was giving Klopp what he wanted/needed?

Nobody knows the work our club are doing in the background. As we ended up making bids that January (once Matip joined the injury list) we obviously did have deals ready to go. It’s not ridiculous to think at least one of those deals could have been completed if we’d started trying to sort it earlier.

Theres no assumptions BUT people keep saying we were ok that year because we finished 3rd. Start of January, in fact even the end of January, we were still in a strong position to challenge for retaining the league. It wasn’t a given that we had to end the season without any silverware. We have no god given right to trophies but we ARE one of the best sides in the world with a world class manager. When we are in a strong position and the manager, who has been incredibly thrifty, asks for reinforcements as Shanks said they need to sign the cheques. When the reason given not to is our finances, then they turn out not to be the clusterfuck made out questions should be asked.

We’ll struggle with this operating model without Klopp yes thats the sad thing. Being a club with some incredibly high revenues and low debts, with wage bill well in hand, that shouldn’t be the case though.

Thanks.

1 Like

1 Like

Hindsight is great isn’t it…

7 Likes

Have I gone back in time? Again?

2 Likes

No, but if you could, would you tell the owners to do anything different? :wink:

1 Like

Bill Murray Movie GIF by Hollywood Suite

1 Like

Just a reminder that the very start of this conversation was @AnfieldRdDreamer stating he didn’t know much about finance, but…

A couple of month later, and a servers worth of posts, and he knows how to run a football club better than FSG.

4 Likes

Or, when the perfect centre back isn’t available until the summer, get a decent lad in on loan. Which is what happened.

2 Likes

Yeah it is. I once wanted Tom Ince I’m not infallible in my views on players. But, for context, first one was in discussion about him playing ahead of Phillips and Rhys Williams after he’d arrived and trying to see the glass half full. Second comment in context was specifically about a younger, developing CB for cover.

And you wonder why I get the feeling people don’t want me discussing this? You and the others have scared off anyone with a different opinion on the financing by the owners. Across the fan base theres a lot of different points of view. You and others start all this immature shit and drive away anyone you don’t agree with on here. Very much “my ball my rules” mentality.

2 Likes

This is overstated.

Klopp is the man we needed to get the ball rolling, but there is no reason to think the wheels will inevitably come off when he leaves.

2 Likes

Not much of a discussion if you just repeatedly say the same things over and over and over again ignoring all context and refuted points.

Don’t think anyone is bothered if you have a different opinion, but once all your issues have been countered, maybe try talking about something else?

2 Likes

Arrange for Kompany to be injured just before that Leicester match.

4 Likes

Maybe we end up taking the piss because your posts read very much like someone putting their fingers in their ears and going ‘I’M RIGHT I’M RIGHT I’M RIGHT’.

You’re not right. Lots of people have pointed flaws in your arguments. Whether that’s problems with your understanding of finance, misunderstanding the way Klopp or the club think about transfers, or just basic hindsightism that it isn’t fair to apply. When literally everyone is telling you you’re wrong, it’s worth stopping and having a think about whether your confidence in your own argument might be a tad misplaced.

And you did start this argument saying you don’t really understand the financial side of things.

2 Likes

No you are just wrong, over and over and over. And when the entire forum uses facts to show you this you spit out your dummy and cry wolf.

3 Likes

No, it’s just our clique of immature shitheads innit? Not sure if we can still call it a clique considering it’s literally been almost everyone participating in this thread calling out the logical fallacies and factual errors…

2 Likes

This thread…
Loop Panda GIF

3 Likes