The Owners - FSG

Which is why we come to this forum :slight_smile:

That and Iā€™m banned from RAWK :wink:

4 Likes

Most of that sort of comment on twitter seems to come from, but not exclusively, younger ā€˜fansā€™ from overseas.

I donā€™t think they represent the match going supporters, locals or people who remember football before Sky invented it.

(ftr this forum proves you can have knowledgeable overseas fans and that was not my point)

4 Likes

On my MAC I run next to my browser Tweetbot. Thatā€™s a small stroke with all the Tweets you are interested in. So you have to click on an extension to see the comments, works perfectly since I hardly ever click on those extensions. :grinning:

Too bloody right they should pay the fine greedy barsteward.

8 Likes

Correction;

ā€œFSG will have now carefully managed LFC in spending its own money in the most efficient ways whilst utilising the best credit options with regards to interest. Options that wouldnā€™t have been available or inferior under different owners. This Ā£224m of LFC revenue will have been used on 2 Anfield expansions (one pending) and a long overdue training ground upgrade that FSG were wise enough to realise needed to be viewed as a priority.ā€

Seems these days nothing can be balanced. FSG have to be seen as near perfect saintly figures or demonic entities.

4 Likes

No correction is needed - FSG own the club and so all future cash flows belong to them. Theyā€™ve chosen to invest those cash flows back into the club.

10 Likes

Good owners. Not a sovereign wealth fund or a state sponsored sports washing enterprise. Not an oligarch. But businessmen.

No great interest in football, as such, but they have been good custodians.

A few missteps here and there, largely over cultural differences (and better briefing might have prevented much of that) but generally very good owners.

Winning team. Improved stadium. Improved training facilities. Investment secured to help weather the covid storm. Long term vision perhaps, of building up a network of clubs to feed into Liverpool or provide mutual benefit?

Anyway, not perfect - who is? But very good in my book, which is the main thing, lol.

They will get their money when they sell, and a +/- Ā£300M investment, depending on how you see line of credit and not just acquisition cost, will have proven to be a very astute piece of business.

12 Likes

Then it was dumb and dumbers money to do with as they saw fit to!

Theyā€™re good owners, certainly compared to many out there. They run us intelligently, make decisions to benefit us in the long run with what projects we take and allow us to access some good credit options we wouldnā€™t without them.

But Iā€™m not going to treat them as saints for allowing LFC to spend some of LFCs own revenues on LFC. Thatā€™s the bare minimum I would expect off acceptable owners. The alternative is the likes of the Glazers and the two crooks we had in the past.

1 Like

My take on FSGā€™s interest in us has been that it is largely about a broadcasting play. They had preexisting interests in sports networks and experienced the efficiency of being the entity that owned the team who were selling them the broadcast rights.

If we accept this, and I accept that it is not demonstrated as 100% correct, then there is vested interest in putting all the operating revenue back into the club to make it as successful and attractive an entity as possible. That is great for us as fans, but the flip side is eventually the piper has to be paid, and what weā€™ve seen with a lot of the discussions FSG have been involved in about how to restructure the game involves rethinking broadcast rights. I dont know that is necessarily a bad thing, because despite the supposed benefit of our collective broadcast package, I sure as shit dont spend my Saturday afternoon staying in to watch Bolton vs Burnley.

10 Likes

Well, yes. Except they over leveraged themselves and the bank sold it from under them rather than take ownership of the club.

No one is asking you to treat them as saints, just fairly represent what they are doing as owners. They arenā€™t taking money out of the club, all not just part of the money the club generates is being re-invested in to the club.

4 Likes

I still think they slice off the top of the commercial income via FSM and thatā€™s where they get a regular return.

In the very early days, FSG/LFC sold various rights to FSM for about a million quid. FSM is a Delaware based company, iirc, that doesnā€™t need to publish accounts. It would help to explain why, imo, our commercial revenue has consistently been around 10% or more below where I think it should be.

I donā€™t necessarily begrudge them this if thatā€™s what theyā€™ve been doing as theyā€™ve been very good owners on the whole.

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: I knew as soon as I made that comment you would get me with the top slicing :rofl:

3 Likes

I really donā€™t understand whatā€™s annoying you. Would you care to explain?

1 Like

The only thing that annoys me is the polarisation.

100% good or 100% bad.

Iā€™m on about 80% good. But thereā€™s no need to dress up the money being spent on LFC stadium expansions and the training complex as a feather Iā€™m their cap and we should be thankful to them for funding it. We funded it. Our club and the fans. LFC revenue has 100% funded it and its also a hell of a lot cheaper than the alternative. FSG committed to either building a new stadium or regeneration of Anfield as part of the package to buy us.

FSG have done a lot of great work but theyā€™ve also gone for the much cheaper option and delayed till the club are able to pay for it. As much as many of the decisions theyā€™ve made were the best for us many of them were also the best for them too.

2 Likes

Other than money for players (wages and fees) theyā€™ve done as much as any owner.

As I said just above Iā€™m on about 80% of what theyā€™ve done has been good, some great/excellent. But even then Iā€™m a cynic enough to realise some of their decisions have been in their best interests as well as ours. If the other choice was in our best interest Iā€™m not 100% convinced they would be making the right decision.

Iā€™m just going Python as itā€™s so often so accurate.

Aquaducts.

5 Likes

I disagree.

There are two football clubs in the world where owners would dip into their own pockets to build stadiums and training complex. Or zero clubs if you donā€™t want to be troubled by the icky ethical concerns.

Manchester Unitedā€™s owners had been able to sidestep the hard bit by having a 70,000 seat stadium when they bought the club. They have allowed it to fall into ruin while they take their dividend, to the point that itā€™s now a serious millstone at the club. Itā€™s infested with rats, ffs.

I donā€™t think anyone is suggesting that the redevelopment of Anfield or Kirkby have been acts of altruistic benevolence. Everyone knows that the club has paid for this, but nevertheless I think itā€™s a feather in FSG cap because those projects represent a smart and strategic use of the clubs money, which is no mean feat given the pressure from bellend fans to sink more and more money into the playing squad. They are projects that have delivered world class facilities for LFC, and yes, it should be noted that FSG have not taken the Glazer route of fuck the infrastructure and let the club fall into ruin, trouser shit loads of cash, and spend a tonne on players to keep the fans semi-placated.

Unless you want an oil country to use the club to sport wash itā€™s dodgy human rights record, FSG are doing as much as any owner would. They are spending their revenue/the clubs money (both are true) sensibly and effectively.

17 Likes

Yep you only need to look at Spurs, Real and Barca for the insane sums they are borrowing to build new stadiums. You can even go back to Arsenal and their new stadium and the trend is the sameā€¦ Huge borrowing, much less investment in the team and slides from top 4 contenders to outside of the top 6 and for the Spanish teams no longer being dominant European forces.

This is massively balanced here by Klopp i.e. a manager who actually improves players and doesnā€™t need a small countries gpr spent to competeā€¦ But again this is the man they wantedā€¦ It all tells me they have a long term plan which they are executing at the highest levelsā€¦

Do they make mistakes? Yes, some proper bad own goals, but with some you can see the method in the madness, however others are just a complete disconect with this clubā€¦

Iā€™d take the good with the bad personally.

3 Likes